Rotovac 360i + CFX

EMTCarpetCleaning

Oct 18, 2009
Chicago
Real Name
Tom McNicholas
Business Location
United States
The problem is you don't pay just once for a TM. You keep paying every time you use it.

So you either have to charge more, or make less money per job. Neither is that great.
I don't have a TM but how much are you really paying for a TM per time you use it? For the post part TM owners say a gallon of gas per hour... so 3 bucks to 6 dollars per use? The amount of time you save setting up and taking down a porty makes a TM seem beyond worth it... as soon as I see a good TM deal in the Chicagoland Area (Hint: anyone selling?) I will be getting a used TM... obviously there are repairs that are costly with a TM... but there is also repairs with a porty.

Alexa

User
Mar 4, 2010
Florida
Real Name
Alex Najar
Business Location
United States
I don't have a TM but how much are you really paying for a TM per time you use it? For the post part TM owners say a gallon of gas per hour... so 3 bucks to 6 dollars per use? The amount of time you save setting up and taking down a porty makes a TM seem beyond worth it... as soon as I see a good TM deal in the Chicagoland Area (Hint: anyone selling?) I will be getting a used TM... obviously there are repairs that are costly with a TM... but there is also repairs with a porty.
I'm saving about $800 a month using a Mytee M5 Twin Boosted portable instead of my truckmounts. Would you like to have an $800 a month raise?

Jeff Madsen

Sep 7, 2009
Lincoln, Ne
lincoln-area-rug-cleaning.com
Real Name
Jeff Madsen
Business Location
United States
Ditto what Tank said. Part of the problem with these discussions is they always take place with the supposition that there are no trade-offs or that there shouldn't be any in a "just" world for POGs. You just have to decide what's right for you and your operation. I think the CFX with dual three stage vacs with the docking station is a very fine portable set up, especially in combination with a 360. My old-school CFX/360 is a very capable back-up for my TM and I love the size/weight of the set up. That having been said, it adds between twenty and forty minutes to an average job over my TM - not always a big deal, but sometimes it is. I spent a lot of time over the years being frustrated with imperfect equipment - then I finally realized there is no such thing as perfect equipment and life got so much easier!

TA152H

Jun 17, 2010
New York
Real Name
Rich
Business Location
United States
Alex, your saving $800 a month but how much extra time are your wasting? (serious question)
Well, that's only pertinent if he has jobs the entire day. For argument's sake, if I schedule the same amount of jobs in a day (because I don't have that many customers anyway), there's no cost in using the portable. If I have to turn away jobs, then this would be a cost. But, time is only money if you're turning away jobs.

Now, let's turn this on its head. If I have to charge more because my truckmount to make the same profit, then I am probably not going to get the same amount of work, so can lose money. Or I just absorb the costs due to consuming gas like a madman, and wearing my vehicle down faster (weight isn't good for any vehicle), and also enjoy more stops at the gas station, which in fact do consume time.

More than this, I get to breath in gas exhaust when I go to my van, and get a nice hot huge machine to help keep me warm in those nice Florida summers. Oh, and when I need repairs, well, I can't do work, and I get to pay a lot. All good?

If that's not enough, given the same size van, I can store a lot more equipment and chemicals with a nice portable. Or, turning it on its head, I can get a smaller van with the same amount of equipment, and have save money on gas, and have a much more enjoyable vehicle to drive since it's not only smaller in and of itself, but also doesn't suffer from having a very heavy TM stuck in it.

I'm by no means saying there are no advantages to a truck mount, I'm simply pointing out the negatives with it. I think the positives have been amply pointed out by others, and are in any event rather obvious. My main point is, it's not as clear cut as people make it sound, and there are two sides to this argument. Which is more valid probably depends a lot on the situation.

I also want to point out that it's almost silly to say Truck Mount like it's a meaningful term and adequately describes the entire range of machines. The difference between a big truck mount and a small one is enormous. Having felt both, I think it's important to make a distinction between the two. It's a very noticeable difference, and in my opinion (I've only felt one of each), as important a distinction as between a portable and a small truck mount. With the 2 x 2 setup with powerful vacuums, I can only imagine this distinction would be many times greater.

Jun 18, 2008
Real Name
Glide Pro
Business Location
United States
The electric Portable or ETM owner will soon save even more. As energy cost rise the ETM will operate out of a battery powered van instead. The gas savings from that move alone will be tremendous as time goes on.Those Ford Transit vans are out now. :)

TinStarBen

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Ben Brown
Business Location
United States
Cleanman,

If you have a CFX with or without the 250 psi, 17 gal solution tank base, let me know if you want to sell either. I have a CFX, but I could really use the big base to set it in, and a backup CFX could come in handy. Email me or PM if you need someone to take them off your hands. Thanks!

itek4bux

Dec 3, 2010
Real Name
Steve Carroll
Business Location
United States
Don't do it. I have both and both are junk. I would be happy to send you a photo of my CFX collecting dust in a heap in the back of my shop. As for the 360 the only thing I use it for anymore is to put a nice circular pattern on polyester carpet AFTER I have already cleaned it with my Steamin Demon. Both of these products are way over priced and poor performers.
If you're interested in selling your CFX and 360i send me a PM with photos.

Cleanmachine

Jan 1, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Charles Hergesheimer
Business Location
United States
I am new to the biz. I have checked out the CFX & 360i and like what I see. I would like as good a portable as possible, would it be worthwhile to get the CFX, 360i and bump up the vacs to stage 3 and get a heater? I see myself as a part time unless I'm able to get this to really take off. I don't have a ton of money to dump into it but I can see needing a waterclaw and a website. I am looking at Realtors and apartment buildings as well as local residential business. Am I looking at this right or is there a better way to get started.

Feb 15, 2013
Real Name
Jarvis Booker
I am new to the biz. I have checked out the CFX & 360i and like what I see. I would like as good a portable as possible, would it be worthwhile to get the CFX, 360i and bump up the vacs to stage 3 and get a heater? I see myself as a part time unless I'm able to get this to really take off. I don't have a ton of money to dump into it but I can see needing a waterclaw and a website. I am looking at Realtors and apartment buildings as well as local residential business. Am I looking at this right or is there a better way to get started.

You asked the same exact question i needed an answer to, did you ever get your equipment, what did you get and did anyone ever respond?

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
Rotovac 360I = Awesome
CFX = Nice back up unit or for going up the stairs

Yes this combo got me started, but I upgraded as quick as I could.
Three options I would look at: Goliath, LTD5 and Jag 6.6 all these have good reputations and are powerful.

RotoRoy

Nov 28, 2019
Real Name
Roy Knaak Jr
I've been eyeballing the Rotovac 360i + CFX set up for my initial equipment.

Can anyone share their experiences with this equipment? Pro's vs Con's, etc?

It seems odd to me that they offer a tile & grout head for the 360i yet the CFX doesn't seem like it has enough psi to do that type of work. I thought you needed 1200psi for T&G, but I'm a newb so maybe I'm wrong. :)
Ive been runmimg a cfx and rotovac 360i

heres what i did:

i run an inline filter for the cfx, it simplifies cleaning and keeps the auto pump switch working more freely without complications.

i use this set up I made for solution line:

1)Small bucket in aknk with a draw tube (hose) going to solution pump.
2) 500 + psi solution pump
3) 2 mytee turbo heaters on series
*the above totals 45-48 running ps at worst, amd can be plugged into a stove outlet, dryer outlet, or run from the van with a 7000watt generator if desired.

4) cfx in bathroom, or outside- but drained-into toilet. Total amps about 30 amps

5) 360i runs 12.5 amps high side.

...get fast tips:
1)Prep prespray solution And allow to dossolve
2) Vacuum
3)Set up solution line- power that up and prespray with hydroforce sprayer
4) set up cfx and hoses (allows for dwell time)
5) begin extraction with wand or 360i
6) reverse order for tear down.

i find i have about 25 minutes set up and tear down if my mind is fully engaged for efficiency upon arrival.

the set up is very effective as a simgle wand program.
One wet pass and two dry, and my carpets are virtually dry upon completion.
Cfx power pod is a little more temperamental regarding foam, so if usong a detergent that tends to foam , sprinkle a little defoamer powder on the carpet while your extracting, and kinda watch the cfx. Adjust foaming powder as you go.