Roof cleaning system is this a good one? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Roof cleaning system is this a good one?

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
I used to clean roofs with a surflo pump soft wash application. I would climb on the roofs.and spray. With the knowledge I have looks like that will work. But theirs no need to have it on a cart because you will then have to lug your 25 gallon chemical jug with you. Sounds real expensive since you won't get hose with it. Look up the specs for the pump and find the price. That is your most important item, you can piece every thing else together yourself. Pump and battery stay on the trailer and you pull the hose just like carpet cleaning. I recommend 200 feet of hose. I bought a complete trailer set up but I sold it because I decided to move to California. I wrote down the specs from the soft wash application pump. I will look for it tomorrow. Sounds like the same pump listed in the add you posted but mine also had a bladder pump ( accumulator ) and a small electric fan attached.to keep the pump cool. The pump on the left is a flojet accumulator pump. The pump on the right is a pressure tek pump I believe 7 or 8 GPM

Reactions: jaymark

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
I just googled pressure tek. I clicked on pumps and they have the same set up I had. They call it pump in a box. Looks awesome. I would just call them and get the whole setup. You have to decide which pump to get. They can help with that. I'll try to see what pump I had. Also ask what size hose will work best. I used 3/8 with my surflo but my pressure tek setup had wider hose. The complete Fat bandit set up costs $1,400. You get everything except the water tank and battery. This is what I would get.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaymark

Citrox1

Sep 29, 2011
Pa
Real Name
JB
Business Location
United States
Just use the soft wash tip to go on your pressure washer's wand. It sprays just as high as that machine with the diluted mix. don't get it confused with the black tip.
http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Ladder-Saver-LS55/p1922.html

Matt, you can't use something like that to clean roofs. Your power washer will not downstream a strong enough concentration of SH to kill the bacteria on a roof. More importantly, roofs are cleaned with very low pressure, about the same as the water pressure in your home.

You want your roof cleaning solution to cling to the roof, while also having very little over spray or mist escaping into the atmosphere.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
What is SH? And this tip IS the same water pressure as the water pressure in someone's home.

What kind of chemicals are you using to pollute the atmosphere if it's misted?

Citrox1

Sep 29, 2011
Pa
Real Name
JB
Business Location
United States
What is SH? And this tip IS the same water pressure as the water pressure in someone's home.

What kind of chemicals are you using to pollute the atmosphere if it's misted?

SH= Bleach....you're going to need a solution of at least 4% to kill the GM bacteria on a roof. Generally speaking most asphalt roofs aren't "dirty" like a sidewalk, deck, or mud splashed siding on a house.Most roof cleaning consists of having any bacteria, algae , lichen, and moss, killed and removed.

You really want to avoid having a strong solution of bleach blowing around a neighborhood.Most Power Washing and Roof Cleaning insurance only covers you up to 3 stories high for this reason.

You would never attempt to clean a 2 + story roof from the ground using a large orifice zero degree soft washing tip. Roofs need to be cleaned from the gutter line or from standing on the roof itself .

TomKelly

Mar 26, 2021
Real Name
Tom Kelly
there is a whole range of ways to clean roofs, my father owns a roof cleaning business and ive been working with him for the past 4 years so he has passed his knowledge down to me.

Here are the most common ways to clean a roof:

Pressure washing:

First lets get this out the way, a lot of people say you shouldn't pressure wash a roof because it can remove the coating on the tile but the truth is if you use a low enough pressure and your not shooting water up the tiles into the attic then your good to go. Just make sure you do a tile quality check before pressure washing to ensure you dont end up with leaky roof.

Roof Scraping

The second most common way of cleaning roofs is using a tool to scrape the moss off and once the moss is removed then you apply a biocide or sodium hypochlorite to prevent the moss from growing back. we have personally been getting most of our roof cleaning equipment from https://roofscraper.co.uk/ Most of the roof scrapers in the market attach to telescopic poles that can extend up to 30ft so height is no issue.

Biocide only

This method is the easiest but takes a lot longer as you have to apply biocide at least 2-3 different times to completely clear the roof.