Robs Supercap (low ph with cleaning ability?)

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I know just enough about ph and chemistry to do a good job (or so I thought) cleaning carpets.

Now I am wondering how a product like Robs Supercap (pH 6-7) can clean so effectively being on the acid side.

It has always seemed most common to me to clean majority of carpets with 8.5-10ph for its 'cleaning punch' on the pH scale.

So, how can products with pH on the acid side such as supercap "murder grease" and be a great cleaner?

Does pH not matter in the overall picture?

If anyone can shed some light that be great. Thank you.

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
I know just enough about ph and chemistry to do a good job (or so I thought) cleaning carpets.

Now I am wondering how a product like Robs Supercap (pH 6-7) can clean so effectively being on the acid side.

It has always seemed most common to me to clean majority of carpets with 8.5-10ph for its 'cleaning punch' on the pH scale.

So, how can products with pH on the acid side such as supercap "murder grease" and be a great cleaner?

Does pH not matter in the overall picture?

If anyone can shed some light that be great. Thank you.

Maybe it wasn’t that dirty and was nylon. A lot harder when it’s heavy soil and urine you need 12 plus sometimes

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Maybe it wasn’t that dirty and was nylon. A lot harder when it’s heavy soil and urine you need 12 plus sometimes
My post was inspired by the products label claiming to get great cleaning results..

..which, with a low, acid side pH, seems counter to how I understand cleaning products to work.

I just thought Id ask if someone can shed some light on this.

Maybe the answer is you just use this on stuff that's not that dirty?

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
My post was inspired by the products label claiming to get great cleaning results..

..which, with a low, acid side pH, seems counter to how I understand cleaning products to work.

I just thought Id ask if someone can shed some light on this.

Maybe the answer is you just use this on stuff that's not that dirty?
Super cap Is meant for encapsulation cleaning. Acids are meant for Rugs upholstery and carpet rinsing with your Truckmount chemical injection. Set at 2-3 gallons per hour.

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Super cap Is meant for encapsulation cleaning. Acids are meant for Rugs upholstery and carpet rinsing with your Truckmount chemical injection. Set at 2-3 gallons per hour.
Maybe I'm wrong and the pH of it is 7 (neutral). I thought it may be 6, which is acid side.

In any event, the question stands.

A product with a pH of 7 has less cleaning ability than one with a higher pH.

So, maybe this is a good cleaner as long as things aren't too dirty.

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
Maybe I'm wrong and the pH of it is 7 (neutral). I thought it may be 6, which is acid side.

It works great never tried it as a stand alone cleaner for extraction. I would just use black label for nice cleans. I only use super cap for Very low moisture.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood

Also has to do with what type of fiber your cleaning. Polys and Wools respond to a low PH, Nylon likes higher PH but can be cleaned with a low PH and Olefin can be cleaned by either one.
Normally Acidic rinses are used in conjunction with a high PH pre spray.
Acidic rinses are great for removing previous cleaning residues, breaking down salts in urine, pet dander and pre conditioning for protectors. They will clean but do have their limitations.
I don't believe there is a simple answer to your question.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
pH is not an indicator of strength. It just costs more to use lower pH quality raws and why most opt with cheap high pH. :)

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
pH is not an indicator of strength. It just costs more to use lower pH quality raws and why most opt with cheap high pH. :)

I’ve done it. Scrub with super cap pre spray spiked rinse with UFR Ive used them all I’ve been still going through all my pails. I make the super cap last still banking off the last gallon.

Reactions: rob allen

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I’ve done it. Scrub with super cap pre spray spiked rinse with UFR Ive used them all I’ve been still going through all my pails. I make the super cap last still banking off the last gallon.
Many in our industry believe that if you are spiking your pre spray then there's something missing.
The jury is still out on this one.
Interesting.

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
Many in our industry believe that if you are spiking your pre spray then there's something missing.
Interesting.

You mean the pre sprays that burn you. No thanks man. There’s a big difference trust me. Been doing this a long time. There’s no jury out. If you want to get sick and die with burns on your feet go ahead I’m good with Robs secret formula you just have to wear gloves when mixing pretty standard. Then the customer loves the smell. If it’s so bad you have to nuke the shit out of it then who cares they didn’t.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
You mean the pre sprays that burn you. No thanks man. There’s a big difference trust me. Been doing this a long time. There’s no jury out. If you want to get sick and die with burns on your feet go ahead I’m good with Robs secret formula you just have to wear gloves when mixing pretty standard. Then the customer loves the smell. If it’s so bad you have to nuke the shit out of it then who cares they didn’t.
Home spun chemists. Less should be more when it comes to our arsenals.
BTW how long in this industry?

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
Interesting.

If your at a job and the soil on the carpet looks just like the soil that’s in the grout then I don’t have a problem adding a 2 oz scoop of GM or 12 oz unchained citrus pure o2 scoop of bio pro. One of these products is what’s missing and the cleaner can safely use them to their advantage. Cleaners ask me all the time customer called back and said it still has a dog oil smell or the carpet feels crunchy customer still smells puke. I’m like did you add some citrus? Rinse with UFR did you add some more product? Did you scrub? Did you flush that spot with some pure 02 You can’t win them all but yeah it all counts.

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
Home spun chemists. Less should be more when it comes to our arsenals.
BTW how long in this industry?
16 years. I did just fine for years I went with flex fab set bio modifier usr and viper. The interlink closed down there’s one store close but just don’t want to get off go to a carpet store so about 4-5 years ago just started using TMF and I’ve seen a huge gain in repeat customers their like can you spray that stuff or do that one thing you did last time. Just normal people polyester everything except a small stream of rugs in retirement areas. How bout you?

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
16 years. I did just fine for years I went with flex fab set bio modifier usr and viper. The interlink closed down there’s one store close but just don’t want to get off go to a carpet store so about 4-5 years ago just started using TMF and I’ve seen a huge gain in repeat customers their like can you spray that stuff or do that one thing you did last time. Just normal people polyester everything except a small stream of rugs in retirement areas. How bout you?
This August it will be 36 in the industry and 30 on my own.
Started using Prochem Products since a Blazer was my 1st TM. I have experimented with other products over the years but have always kept Prochem.
My chems of choice are Dry Slurry, All fiber Rinse and Ultra Pac Extreme all are Prochem.
Did try Bridgepoint but got complaints about lingering chemical odors.

If Rob's products are working for you then don't change.
Jon Don is a good back up in a pinch.
The supplier I have been dealing with for 29 years last year sold to Aramsco. They kept all the crew and so far so good.

I remember how solution dyed nylon was everywhere and now it's Polyester like you said.

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
Started using Prochem Products since a Blazer was my 1st TM. I have experimented with other products over the years but have always kept Prochem.
My chems of choice are Dry Slurry, All fiber Rinse and Ultra Pac Extreme all are Prochem.

The supplier I have been dealing with for 29 years last year sold to Aramsco. They kept all the crew and so far so good.

I remember how solution dyed nylon was everywhere and now it's Polyester like you said.
It used to be a lot easier. That’s why I like TMF cause their constantly testing and trying new stuff.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Try my Green Label prespray, Formula 99 and Ultimate fiber rinse. If they are not substantially better I’ll refund you and you can keep the products.

Reactions: MikeHawley14

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
Try my Green Label prespray, Formula 99 and Ultimate fiber rinse. If they are not substantially better I’ll refund you and you can keep the products.
Excellent job on Green Label. I was watching CNN yesterday. Black Label with a scoop of green 5 stars job and cleaning solutions. She said she’s going to tell all her friends.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We switched to TMF cleaning Products and went from Cleaning Apartments to stretching and cleaning condos in Scottsdale. With just an old Boxxer in a plain white van.

Awesome!