Rob Allens van set up vs box truck set up

leofry

Feb 12, 2009
bardstown kentucky
Real Name
john rogers
I don;t come to this site quite as much as i used to but i remember seeing your set up of your box truck which was awesome by the way and today saw you van set up which was also awesome but the question is do you have both now or did you find that the box truck was over the top and really the van is the way to go or do you simple use both ...

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I don;t come to this site quite as much as i used to but i remember seeing your set up of your box truck which was awesome by the way and today saw you van set up which was also awesome but the question is do you have both now or did you find that the box truck was over the top and really the van is the way to go or do you simple use both ...
The box truck is greet for owner operators. The vans for multi-truck operations. That's my take. Plus the city of Va Beach has passed new ordinances banning trucks over 7' tall in neighborhoods. We've actually had a few call. So we have one box truck left and we will eventually sell that or use it for billboard advertising outside my rug shop

[email protected]

Apr 13, 2015
Will County, Illinois
Real Name
Steve Mentzer
Business Location
United States
I was excited when I bought my box truck and I'm sure it will serve me well. However I'm nearly certain my next purchase will be a butler unit in a van. Simplicity + Reliability + Resale Value + Space Savings = clear winner in my book. Especially when moving towards a multi-truck operation it's important to have a system that is easy for new employees to figure out and use. That's not to say it can't or hasn't been done with slide-in truckmounts in big box trucks either because it has. I just believe that when building a brand, it's important to create consistent systems that are universal throughout the company.

On a side note, I would consider having a one of those powerful dual-wand capable machines mounted to a cabover box truck for very large commercial jobs.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
The box truck is greet for owner operators. The vans for multi-truck operations. That's my take. Plus the city of Va Beach has passed new ordinances banning trucks over 7' tall in neighborhoods. We've actually had a few call. So we have one box truck left and we will eventually sell that or use it for billboard advertising outside my rug shop

What does the height matter being in a neighborhood? I mean what was their argument for banning them?

Pioneer Floorcare LLC

Dec 10, 2013
Palmer, Alaska
Real Name
Scott Turknett
Business Location
United States
I was excited when I bought my box truck and I'm sure it will serve me well. However I'm nearly certain my next purchase will be a butler unit in a van. Simplicity + Reliability + Resale Value + Space Savings = clear winner in my book. Especially when moving towards a multi-truck operation it's important to have a system that is easy for new employees to figure out and use. That's not to say it can't or hasn't been done with slide-in truckmounts in big box trucks either because it has. I just believe that when building a brand, it's important to create consistent systems that are universal throughout the company.

On a side note, I would consider having a one of those powerful dual-wand capable machines mounted to a cabover box truck for very large commercial jobs.
My hydramaster CDS has three times the shelf space of my butler

Reactions: aloha one

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States

No Machine has the resale Value as a BUTLER..Period..Takers on my Comment? Speak UP & LOSE that Debate.....
On the "Side Note" forget the Dual Wand Mega Machines unless you just secured an Airport account. I would rather have TWO Vans with Power than 1 with Super Powers.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
No Machine has the resale Value as a BUTLER..Period..Takers on my Comment? Speak UP & LOSE that Debate.....
On the "Side Note" forget the Dual Wand Mega Machines unless you just secured an Airport account. I would rather have TWO Vans with Power than 1 with Super Powers.

Especially since you usually need multiple hose runs on that job any. Having 2 trucks means 1 set up per truck in 8 hours let's say. Having 1 truck means 2 set ups per 8 hours. But it will take you longer than 8 hours since you need to set up twice.

Someone might say you need to set up twice anyway. But the difference is the set up taking place simultaneously or one at the start and one at the mid point.

I have never run a dual wand, so take this as my first impression on this situation. But I can't imagine it saving time or effort compared to having two vehicles.

It's advantage would be if you can afford an extra tech but not an extra van.

And butlers are boss.

Reactions: [email protected]

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Especially since you usually need multiple hose runs on that job any. Having 2 trucks means 1 set up per truck in 8 hours let's say. Having 1 truck means 2 set ups per 8 hours. But it will take you longer than 8 hours since you need to set up twice.

Someone might say you need to set up twice anyway. But the difference is the set up taking place simultaneously or one at the start and one at the mid point.

I have never run a dual wand, so take this as my first impression on this situation. But I can't imagine it saving time or effort compared to having two vehicles.

It's advantage would be if you can afford an extra tech but not an extra van.

And butlers are boss.
Your 100% Correct Joe..I ran dual wands for a couple months... Once..! Got the Daytona Beach Airport Gig..What a Cluster FUK that was.
Was no advantage....In fact a MAJOR Disadvantage...For one..someone has to stay by the truck to monitor shit...
For two by the time it took to Sync the crews..I could have Licked the Carpet Clean! jk
I could go on & On but you get the Drift?

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States

[email protected]

Apr 13, 2015
Will County, Illinois
Real Name
Steve Mentzer
Business Location
United States
Hell Yea Bro..The ONLY downside I can think of is the connections to the Drive Shafts and Limitations on the Vehicles that will work with them.

BTW..Cleanco from Canada has very Similar machines for a lot less and Just as Reliable.

Thanks for the tip on Cleanco. I can't find any information on their pricing, however I would imagine the name recognition of Butler here in the States will allow me to sell my machine faster and for more money than with Cleanco. Plus, the trade-in program with Butler seems rather enticing :D

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the tip on Cleanco. I can't find any information on their pricing, however I would imagine the name recognition of Butler here in the States will allow me to sell my machine faster and for more money than with Cleanco. Plus, the trade-in program with Butler seems rather enticing :D
I agree..However...Cleanco's are No Slouches...I try to Give All I know from 40+ years in the Biz to Share my Nonsense..Take it or Leave It...You however are So CORRECT..Butlers will sell Quicker....Not so Much they are better but they have a Network of Repair Facilities. and That is Paramount to any machine....Customer SERVICE is KING. Butler Wins on ALL Counts there. Really Interesting that @rob allen has yet to TEST those? No Doubt both Mfgs would be More Than Happy to provide machines for the Testing?

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
I cannot understand the logic or the motive for limiting the height of service trucks...

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States

Save that thought Steve..Slides Ins are soon to be Obsolete.Just when...? Who Knows But in the Long Run.PTO's will Win out!

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Even dual wand machines in a big box truck hardly make sense imo. I'd rather have 2 judsons in a box truck. Can only run one if needed and save tons on gas. If one breaks the other is still good. Plus 2 45 blowers is approx 800cfm. More than a 59 blower. Also even large hx machines have trouble keeping 230 atw with 2 wands running.

Running a huge #6 blower just doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: [email protected]

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Even dual wand machines in a big box truck hardly make sense imo. I'd rather have 2 judsons in a box truck. Can only run one if needed and save tons on gas. If one breaks the other is still good. Plus 2 45 blowers is approx 800cfm. More than a 59 blower. Also even large hx machines have trouble keeping 230 atw with 2 wands running.

Running a huge #6 blower just doesn't make sense to me.
Totally Agree Bjorn....Makes ZERO Sense...When would you Use and Where? Over Kill I have always said....To the Point of Stupidity....No one these days Gives a SHIT about what you're Running...Old School...They care about RESULTS and Price.....PERIOD!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I cannot understand the logic or the motive for limiting the height of service trucks...
I think its tax money motivated. Plus they say its hard on the streets. But it is over control

suncarpet

Staff member
Premium VIP
Jul 18, 2013
Bakersfield ca
www.suncarpet.net
Real Name
Rob mueller
Business Location
United States
No company needs a fleet a box trucks. One is substantial. Also depends on what you're doing. I have a Chevy express with a Diablo in it that is my main moneymaker. I also have a box truck with 870 and every commercial tool you can imagine in it. This truck basically only goes on big jobs and commercial jobs. If I was to add a third van it would be a small van and a midsized unit like the Diablo or 570