Road to getting rid of my job | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Road to getting rid of my job

jcr24

Jul 24, 2018
Real Name
J C
I am in the process of buying some equipment right now and am soon going to start cleaning carpets. I currently work full time making around 40k. (I do not need this much to get by right now, it is just nice to have.) I am wondering at what point you all decided to quit your jobs? It is really hard for me to have energy to go clean carpets after a full days work so I would like to ditch this job asap.

How long did it take you to bring home around $40k? Did any of you just jump in completely and drop your full time job and start cleaning? How did that go?

Reactions: RickeyClean

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I made the switch from side job to full time when my employer asked me to do something I was not comfortable with. This was back in 1977. Of course the dollar value was different then. Was making $25,00 plus benefits at work. About $3,000 on the side cleaning carpet. It took about a year to get close to $25,000

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Where do you live? How old are you? Do you have a family to support? What are you monthly living expenses? Have you cleaned carpets before?

Reactions: Allied and jcr24

jcr24

Jul 24, 2018
Real Name
J C
I made the switch from side job to full time when my employer asked me to do something I was not comfortable with. This was back in 1977. Of course the dollar value was different then. Was making $25,00 plus benefits at work. About $3,000 on the side cleaning carpet. It took about a year to get close to $25,000

Impressive. 1977 was a bit ago but 25k then has about as much spending power as 100k now. What were you charging per square foot back then? Has the industry average of cost per square foot also increased with inflation?

Reactions: Scott W

jcr24

Jul 24, 2018
Real Name
J C
Where do you live? How old are you? Do you have a family to support? What are you monthly living expenses? Have you cleaned carpets before?

Currently Colorado. I am in my late 20's. I don't have a family I support, currently living with some family that doesn't charge rent. I pitch in for food, monthly expenses are under $500. I cleaned carpets for a couple years in college.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Impressive. 1977 was a bit ago but 25k then has about as much spending power as 100k now. What were you charging per square foot back then? Has the industry average of cost per square foot also increased with inflation?

When I was cleaning carpet as a side job, I had been charging 15 cents to 25 cents per sq. ft. depending upon the size of the job. I soon realized that if this was to be my living instead of a side job, I needed to charge more. Raised prices to 30 to 35 cents per sq. ft.

In general, price per sq. ft. has not increased much. Newer equipment and technology have increased how much carpet can be cleaned in a given time. Back then I was doing 350 to 400 sq. ft. in an hour with residential carpet and moving furniture. 600 to 700 sq. ft. per hour in open areas. Currently, many cleaners are around 600 to 1000 sq. ft per hour in a residential setting and 2,500 sq. ft or higher in a commercial setting.

Some cleaners who give a high level of person service are getting 50 cents a sq. ft. or more. Others who do volume work may be cleaning for 20 cents per sq. ft and less. But I suspect the average is about 30 to 35 cents per sq. ft for residential just as it was 40 years ago.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Currently Colorado. I am in my late 20's. I don't have a family I support, currently living with some family that doesn't charge rent. I pitch in for food, monthly expenses are under $500. I cleaned carpets for a couple years in college.

In my opinion you're in a perfect position to start your own business. Young, no family to support, no or very low rent, and you have experience. Best of luck to you.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Don't quit your job. If you can't drop back to part time, and have to quit...find another part time job. Keep the part time job until all your equipment and carpet cleaning machines is paid for. I quit my part time job too soon in my early years.

When I realized that it wasn't making$$$$ what I wanted...I started credit carding and borrowing. Big mistake.

I don't know your local economy, and how well your'e marketing your new business, but if you're new to business management and marketing...don't quit your job!

Reactions: burbuja2

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike

Scott were you a stripper?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
In my opinion you're in a perfect position to start your own business. Young, no family to support, no or very low rent, and you have experience. Best of luck to you.

he may not have the energy to start and operate a business though?

he's in his twenties works a full time job no familial responsibilities and hes too tired to clean carpets afterwards

i was mid twenties working full time making good dough also worked landscape on side and also managed and maintained 17 condos

shortly after lost main job stsrted my biz and was fulltime in 6 mos then quit landscape and management of condos.

what we do ask cleaners takes a lot of energy what we do as business owners requires a lot of energy not only to build but also maintain.

if i were you id save a boatload a cash starting now and in a couple years youncould start pretty much any business you wanted

jcr24

Jul 24, 2018
Real Name
J C
he may not have the energy to start and operate a business though?

he's in his twenties works a full time job no familial responsibilities and hes too tired to clean carpets afterwards

i was mid twenties working full time making good dough also worked landscape on side and also managed and maintained 17 condos

shortly after lost main job stsrted my biz and was fulltime in 6 mos then quit landscape and management of condos.

what we do ask cleaners takes a lot of energy what we do as business owners requires a lot of energy not only to build but also maintain.

if i were you id save a boatload a cash starting now and in a couple years youncould start pretty much any business you wanted

My energy levels are more of mental exhaustion than physical. I go workout most days after work and have a decent amount of volunteer work I do. It's hard to work on marketing plans or budgets when I just spent 8 hours doing that for someone else's company. I could save for a couple years, not sure what business I would want to start 2 years from now though. Carpet cleaning is the business I want now. If you had to choose a business to start now, would you choose carpet cleaning again?

Reactions: Scott W

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I am in the process of buying some equipment right now and am soon going to start cleaning carpets. I currently work full time making around 40k. (I do not need this much to get by right now, it is just nice to have.) I am wondering at what point you all decided to quit your jobs? It is really hard for me to have energy to go clean carpets after a full days work so I would like to ditch this job asap.

How long did it take you to bring home around $40k? Did any of you just jump in completely and drop your full time job and start cleaning? How did that go?
Instant message me man I'll help you out

You can do that for sure but it takes a lot of work! But it worth it!

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
My energy levels are more of mental exhaustion than physical. I go workout most days after work and have a decent amount of volunteer work I do. It's hard to work on marketing plans or budgets when I just spent 8 hours doing that for someone else's company. I could save for a couple years, not sure what business I would want to start 2 years from now though. Carpet cleaning is the business I want now. If you had to choose a business to start now, would you choose carpet cleaning again?
I have a lot of volunteer work that I do as well in fact it's a monthly commitment knocking on doors
My wife and I have 9 employees in our office cleaning into employees in our carpet cleaning I am more than willing to help you out with free advice feel free to shoot me a message

Reactions: Smtwn janitorial

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
bro
each of us have diferent reasons and backgrounds coming into this business.....

I would say write down some goals for $$$$ before you go fulltime....
example:
2-3 continual commercial accounts......
equipment for purchase

some guys start with portables partime then after a few years go with a TM fulltime.......

these are your 2 biggest obstacles to overcome:
1. buying reasonable priced equipment...almost impossible for a TM under 20k today
sad but true
2. what accounts will you target ...you will have to start commercial.....
resturants, apts, hotels.........
takes 3-5 years to build up residential accounts

also look at purchasing someones accounts and TM??? if they are going out of business
after struggling my first year I bought a guys accounts for 1000$
helped me to make it into this business

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas

You can make 40k within the first year gross.....
but remember your expenses are 50%...more or less

with 500$ expenses might not be a bad time to plug in and see what happens
go talk to some local carpet cleaning guys or your local carpet cleaning supply store

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas

you have to ask yourself???
Do I like my current job???
What do I see myself doing 10-20 years from now?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike

carpet cleaning makes up about 20% of my revenue the rest is flooring repair and installs.

i just purchased part of a business and it's working out very well.

the reason i mentioned saving is it would be so much easier starting with lots of cash. i started almost 10yrs ago with $1,500 was very tough thank God we had awesome connections and support.

yes id probably still start the same business but would do things differently.

even after purchasing most recent business route im still looking at adding a service or getting into another field. guess im adhd

Reactions: keep it clean
May 8, 2018
Real Name
Walli Castillo
Before you go on and quit your job and all that, do yourself a favor and read two books, I was given this advice before I started my own business and I did not follow it, and I had to close my first business 3 years later. The books are (profit first) and (the E-myth). my first business was a restaurant, and now i'm back working full time and running carpet cleaning on the side and have a family. Its hard work, but when you have a dream its worth it.