Ripples in Glued Commercial Carpet

Jun 20, 2017
Real Name
Nicholas Bokas
Major rippling on a commercial job today, in the middle of a long hallway. Maintenance crew had been using heavy detergents for years without much rinsing, and I was tasked with getting it out. In this spot I rinsed a little too much. Carpet is glued. I do carpet repair but I've never been in this situation, considering outsourcing but want to check my options. It's on both sides of a seam, and the hallway is too long for a power stretcher. Looking for ideas.

20181109_145547.jpg

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
poor install imo.

just finished one tonight same thing.

couple days it lays down flat. if it isn't a glue down re stretching should be done

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
poor install imo.

just finished one tonight same thing.

couple days it lays down flat. if it isn't a glue down re stretching should be done
It’s hard to RE-stretch what was never stretched in the first place. That carpet looks like it was just rolled out and tacked down.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
was it like this before the cleaning? or did this occur right after the cleaning?
is the carpet fully dry right now?

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Major rippling on a commercial job today, in the middle of a long hallway. Maintenance crew had been using heavy detergents for years without much rinsing, and I was tasked with getting it out. In this spot I rinsed a little too much. Carpet is glued. I do carpet repair but I've never been in this situation, considering outsourcing but want to check my options. It's on both sides of a seam, and the hallway is too long for a power stretcher. Looking for ideas.

View attachment 81012
Two things.1. Ain't your fault. 2. It'll go down.
Oh, the third thing, relax and have beer.
By time I'm done with writing this post, you can hardly see anything....

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If it's buckling like that it's not glued down or the glue failed. As said if it's a stretch in it will go back down. I shouldn't say stretch in because that carpet was never stretched right from the start lol. And at that length the fix would require some new seams to keep from pulling off doors. And like Mike said. Caaaaaa-ching!$$$$$$$

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Pole stretcher will reach. You'll need to improvise. 1. Use 4x4 x _?_ 8,10,12 16 whatever you need. (Tip) you can buy 4x4 use it then return it and get your money back ;)
2. You got door ways. Use them to push off of.
3. Nail boards to floor (not my favorite but if other options failed...)
4. Stretcher heads on both ends.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Had a library like this in the last school I worked in . Clean the carpeting and the Principal walks in about an hour later and see’s it looking like the Atlantic Ocean it was so bad !! Freaks out and says
“ What happened “ ??!! Explained it to him and he calmed down but says “ You better be right “ !! Comes to me the next day and it’s flat as a table top . Never doubted my word after that .
All the Best , Ed

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Pole stretcher will reach. You'll need to improvise. 1. Use 4x4 x _?_ 8,10,12 16 whatever you need. (Tip) you can buy 4x4 use it then return it and get your money back ;)
2. You got door ways. Use them to push off of.
3. Nail boards to floor (not my favorite but if other options failed...)
4. Stretcher heads on both ends.
i have a nice y adapter just for long hallways

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
You don’t stretch CGD. It’s glued to the floor. To fix you take a horse syringe and fill with latex seam sealer and inject glue under carpet. Use a vinyl roller to spread glue around under carpet. Lay a piece of plywood on it for 30 min. Easy peasy

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
This is simple just let it dry it will lay flat it doesn't appear as if it was even glued down and that is commercial glue down it's a poor quality install that's all there is to it

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
this almost looks like a moisture absorption ratio differential. If it is, it'll go back down once the moisture has dissipated (dried). It happens do to different materials used, some absorb water at a different rate, cause a buckling effect. In my 10 years of being in business It has happened to me at least once a year. Its normal, and no harm is done. usually it occurs almost immediately as it becomes wet, maybe within 10-15 minutes, after rinsing the carpet it becomes very noticeable. if it was like this before the cleaning then it needs repairs, but it could also be a combination.

Jun 20, 2017
Real Name
Nicholas Bokas
Hey thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. Stretching wasn't necessary as the carpet dried pretty flat over the course of a few days. Its a pretty poor install, 30 years old, and I went back over it with encap so I don't ripple yet more carpet. I did end up injecting some glue in trouble spots and that worked perfectly. And I still got paid extra for repair! I doubt I got much of that detergent out with the encap so I'll try HWE again when I return to clean.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
So it was direct glue down? Yeah they wouldn't get restretched. 30 years in commercial it got its use twice over lol. The glue and latex turn to dust over time. More so in center of hall, door ways and under chairs.
20181117_213920.jpg