RIP Prochem?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
As an end user taking over a company thats been a flagship of dependability and performance in our industry for years, and increasing the price of the machine by 6 or 7 thousand dollars right off the bat doesnt really agree with me. I mean these things are knocking on 40 grand now. You would think a merger like this would actually drive prices down a little, i feel like they do it because they think they can. I mean its as much as a new car and im pretty sure it doesnt have any where near the production cost, engineering cost, government complience costs, material costs etc as a new car does

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
As an end user taking over a company thats been a flagship of dependability and performance in our industry for years, and increasing the price of the machine by 6 or 7 thousand dollars right off the bat doesnt really agree with me. I mean these things are knocking on 40 grand now. You would think a merger like this would actually drive prices down a little, i feel like they do it because they think they can. I mean its as much as a new car and im pretty sure it doesnt have any where near the production cost, engineering cost, government complience costs, material costs etc as a new car does
Mic drop. ^^^

Reactions: Lars and SRD

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
To be fair, if a large manufacturer had posted something regarding TMF brand products and "RIP" if you announced an overhaul or merger, you'd be kind of upset too.

No one likes to see people jump to conclusions on a change that's happening, particularly if said conclusions have a negative slant to them.

I say give Legend a chance to SHOW what they've got going on with these units before determining that they are "dead". Both sides of this merger have been in the business for quite some time - and even though they're not perfect, I tend to think they know what they're doing.

Always keep in mind the old adage - "Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours burn any brighter. It just increases the darkness."
To be respectfully fair in return I can’t help but feel a distributor bias. It’s basically a question and an observation as we see a beloved brand disappear. Many of us gave blood sweat and tears loyally with a brand putting up with and defending its foibles. (My Legends and many others bleed oil like a slaughtered pig for ex)

You might recall many here said it would not be assimilated but yet we apparently see it happening. In my opinion Cleaners are feeling bullied by some manufacturers who do buyouts to monopolize and raise prices unjustifiably. Some units as expensive as great sports-cars. How is this in the best interest of cleaners?

Remember, I’m not the one blowing out the candle of a brand, just pointing out who appears to be doing it in my opinion and observation.

Reactions: Harry Mullett

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If you know what you are doing, you can buy a lower end unit, gut it of the dumb stuff, re up the good stuff, add fuel fired heat and still come in under a mid level heat exchanger unit with waaaaaay better performance and reliability. Choking the blower is going to unnecessarily strain the motor, just like any high static lift machine will.... Your going to have high crankcase oil temps and hemorrhage oil everywhere eventually.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I couldn't agree more about buying a cheap TM and stripping it down.
I cannot comprehend how a machine could cost $40,000
I think they position themselves to take advantage of the startup with bank loans who want the biggest & baddest coz they think it guarantees success...

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I couldn't agree more about buying a cheap TM and stripping it down.
I cannot comprehend how a machine could cost $40,000
I think they position themselves to take advantage of the startup with bank loans who want the biggest & baddest coz they think it guarantees success...

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Reactions: SRD

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Machine does not look complicated, but it does look well engineered, I wish I had the engineering skills to think of a design like that.
4 core radiator, Fuel injected, reset able circuit breakers, built in filter box into vacuum outlets, huge water tank, gear driven timing (no more chain), 2500 PSI pump, spring and piston chemical last step (no more diaphragm) 3 wand capability, A HUGE BLOWER! this thing would fit into a box truck easily

Looks Awesome!!
If you don't think that machine is complicated just read the manual. If that doesn't change your mind congratulations you are a serious genius and probably belong in a field more worthy of your intellect like rocket science or something. ;) Lets' just say you BETTER be in close driving distance to a TM mechanic or dealer if you purchase that machine. Of course, that could be said of a lot of heat exchange units so I'm not picking on just them. Hey, those TM mechanics gotta earn a living too ya know. Btw, on more than one occasion I've called Jondon for service and they were backed up weeks in advance. I'm sure that can happen virtually anywhere with anyplace that services these units.

Reactions: rob allen

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Saddening to know they would send an email about this thread. Why do companies think their shit don't stink? If I saw a bad post about my company, I'd want to discuss it, find out why my customer base is unhappy, and what do I need to do to fix it.

I agree on the price hike, I'm getting ready to buy a new TM and now I can't decide what the hell to do. I don't like the direction SS is going and my gut tells me it's not good.

At same time Butler is nowhere near me - and there are no small engine mechanics in my market (Except one who is looking to retire any year now).

HydraMaster I suppose - but then again I worry they could be bought out by Legends as well.

So strangely, it's almost looking as if I have no choice but to go SS and keep servicing through Jon Don.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Saddening to know they would send an email about this thread. Why do companies think their shit don't stink? If I saw a bad post about my company, I'd want to discuss it, find out why my customer base is unhappy, and what do I need to do to fix it.

I agree on the price hike, I'm getting ready to buy a new TM and now I can't decide what the hell to do. I don't like the direction SS is going and my gut tells me it's not good.

At same time Butler is nowhere near me - and there are no small engine mechanics in my market (Except one who is looking to retire any year now).

HydraMaster I suppose - but then again I worry they could be bought out by Legends as well.

So strangely, it's almost looking as if I have no choice but to go SS and keep servicing through Jon Don.
what state are you in????

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
To be respectfully fair in return I can’t help but feel a distributor bias. It’s basically a question and an observation as we see a beloved brand disappear. Many of us gave blood sweat and tears loyally with a brand putting up with and defending its foibles. (My Legends and many others bleed oil like a slaughtered pig for ex)

You might recall many here said it would not be assimilated but yet we apparently see it happening. In my opinion Cleaners are feeling bullied by some manufacturers who do buyouts to monopolize and raise prices unjustifiably. Some units as expensive as great sports-cars. How is this in the best interest of cleaners?

Remember, I’m not the one blowing out the candle of a brand, just pointing out who appears to be doing it in my opinion and observation.
All of us distributors - including yourself - have our biases. I am no exception. And I've never claimed to be an exception.

So as someone who has worked closely with both SS and Prochem in the past, I am naturally going to be holding out hope that their quality remains intact with the new line. And as someone who deals with their tech support people on an almost-daily basis, I have never heard anything from them that tells me the quality of the units is going to be any less than it is now.

I have not seen a price increase on their Rage unit. Having never worked with a three-wand machine, I cannot say whether their pricing on the new unit is "fair" or "too expensive". I have noted before that the price tag on the Big Bad Manufacturer machines includes their support network and parts availability, which some cleaners admittedly do not need because they're savvy enough to do their own repairs.

Those who sell, run, or otherwise support Legend machines are hoping they prosper. Those who are in competition with Legend are hoping they fail.

I fall into the former category, and I will admit my bias accordingly.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

Oddly enough, HydraMaster was bought from Nilfisk by Bluefin last year and there's been much less press about that than there has been about the Legend merger... and yet, the HM buyout was virtually out-of-the-blue, whereas Legend has been positioning for this move for years.

So far, Legend has acquired Dri-Eaz, ProRestore, Sapphire Scientific, Prochem, and Chemspec; Dri-Eaz, ProPrestore, and Chemspec have weathered the change very very well, and I've no reason to imagine SS/Prochem will be much different.

Reactions: Scott W

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
All of us distributors - including yourself - have our biases. I am no exception. And I've never claimed to be an exception.

So as someone who has worked closely with both SS and Prochem in the past, I am naturally going to be holding out hope that their quality remains intact with the new line. And as someone who deals with their tech support people on an almost-daily basis, I have never heard anything from them that tells me the quality of the units is going to be any less than it is now.

I have not seen a price increase on their Rage unit. Having never worked with a three-wand machine, I cannot say whether their pricing on the new unit is "fair" or "too expensive". I have noted before that the price tag on the Big Bad Manufacturer machines includes their support network and parts availability, which some cleaners admittedly do not need because they're savvy enough to do their own repairs.

Those who sell, run, or otherwise support Legend machines are hoping they prosper. Those who are in competition with Legend are hoping they fail.

I fall into the former category, and I will admit my bias accordingly.
With all due respect you wouldn’t understand. It’s a carpet cleaner thing. It’s the “solid brand name” we as cleaners helped build with our blood, sweat, tears and passion. It’s like a part of us is going away, needlessly.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
can someone share insight as to the background of ThermalWave?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Thermal wave as in the Blue Line ? I believe Legend owns that's too. Obsolete.