RIP Prochem?

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
i Cant remember where I saw a home made truck mount running a 454 Big block chevy racing engine , with 2 pumps, 2 blowers, 4 heat exchangers and 2 waste tanks the thing even had headers. All I could think was ...gas guzzler and wow, what the !?!?!?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
i Cant remember where I saw a home made truck mount running a 454 Big block chevy racing engine , with 2 pumps, 2 blowers, 4 heat exchangers and 2 waste tanks the thing even had headers. All I could think was ...gas guzzler and wow, what the !?!?!?
holy cow

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
If your pump is like most it has 2 pressure outlets. You just duplicate the exact design you currently have for your second tool with either a second unloader or bypass pressure regulator (which ever one you currently have). If you don't have room on the panel for another gauge or unloader knob you would need to add a subpanel somewhere, but that's easy.
It doesn’t work that way. Yes you can put an unloader/regulator on each “out” port of the pump but the pressure will only build to what the lowest regulator is set at. So if you try to set one regulator to 1200 psi and then you set the other regulator at 500 psi the max you will get is 500 psi on both sides. Basically the water will follow the path of least resistance. Once the pressure builds up to 500 psi the rest is bypassed back to the water box not allowing the other side to build up over 500 either.

The only way to set two different pressure settings would be to have 2 pumps plumbed completely separate from each other. The problem you run in to here is you also need dedicated heat exchangers for each pump along with temperature controls and bypasses for each pump system. Basically you are building two truckmounts on one frame with one blower.

All this being said I have developed a way to clean tile and carpet at the same time with my truckmount. I set the pressure to 1500 psi and figured a way to reduce the pressure for the carpet wand. I’ve been doing this for about a year now. It works great.

Last edited:

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
My Everest HP has 3000 psi @ 5 gpm .
I'm glad a got the last of karcher prochem ..

TLC CARPET CLEANING

Dec 3, 2010
vermont
Real Name
Leon Turmel
Business Location
United States
A high pressure reducing valve that can be set DOWN to the pressure you need at the tool is the way to make multiple pressure setups work with one pump. Todd is correct in his hydraulic theory.

Just need to be sure the pump has the GPM output required to make all tools run efficiently.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
looks like prochem sold and does not want their name on any new machines.....

i am also hearing from distributers you cannot get parts, hx.... for prochem machines 10-15 years old.....

can someone play TAPS for the last greatest generation of
truckmounts!!!!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
It doesn’t work that way. Yes you can put an unloader/regulator on each “out” port of the pump but the pressure will only build to what the lowest regulator is set at. So if you try to set one regulator to 1200 psi and then you set the other regulator at 500 psi the max you will get is 500 psi on both sides. Basically the water will follow the path of least resistance. Once the pressure builds up to 500 psi the rest is bypassed back to the water box not allowing the other side to build up over 500 either.

The only way to set two different pressure settings would be to have 2 pumps plumbed completely separate from each other. The problem you run in to here is you also need dedicated heat exchangers for each pump along with temperature controls and bypasses for each pump system. Basically you are building two truckmounts on one frame with one blower.

All this being said I have developed a way to clean tile and carpet at the same time with my truckmount. I set the pressure to 1500 psi and figured a way to reduce the pressure for the carpet wand. I’ve been doing this for about a year now. It works great.
Todd you are 100% correct my explanation is not right. I had to talk to my brother to remember exactly how we did it. We had 2 regulators on his machine in the 90's for carpet and upholstery. Pressure came from the pump to the high pressure regulator and then out to the panel QC for the high pressure tool and also went to the second regulator and then out to the lower pressure tool. Because pressure was reduced when both were keyed (probably because of hose size we used behind the panel should have been bigger) we ended up tying both pump outputs to the high pressure regulator to over come this. This worked good like that.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Scott, is there adjustable pressure setting?
Ex: wand one- 500 psi
Wand 2- 1000 psi
Wand 3- 1500 psi
I am not certain of that. Better get the answer from Legend Brands or an Interlink Truckmount expert.

Reactions: Cameron RDS

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
I bought a new prochem peak gtx in Sept of 2016 If I would have known all these changes are coming I would have bought a Hydramaster 575. Now my machine is basically obsolete as they no longer make the Kohler water cooled engine. Luckily only put 400-500 hours a year on the machine and this will be my last truckmount as I work toward retirement.

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Interestingly enough as I reflected on the demise of Pro-chem i realized I have bought truckmounts from three manufactures that eventually went out of business. White Magic, Power Clean & now Pro Chem which was a big player in the carpet cleaning equipment space. The carpet cleaning industry is really a small fish as far as industrial equipment goes so there will never be stability with manufactures.

Plus can you imagine dealing with whiney a$$ carpet cleaners all the time. That alone would cause a manufacture to change the direction of their company.

My next question is- - is SS still manufacturing pro-chem chemicals with pro chem's formulas? Or how long will they be? I guess it is a good thing I have been moving over to only using pros choice products.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
yea you know a lot of people slam these garage builds.....
i have 2 namcos who also are not making tm anymore?????
still in business and still suport their tm...but
they are focusing on scooter portables.........

but over the years i have learned to work on them myself....
havent been to a truckmount mechanic in 10 years.....

probably best to find an easy to work on custom garage truckmount....
but I dont think you can find one unless you go with fuel heat....

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
yea you know a lot of people slam these garage builds.....
i have 2 namcos who also are not making tm anymore?????
still in business and still suport their tm...but
they are focusing on scooter portables.........

but over the years i have learned to work on them myself....
havent been to a truckmount mechanic in 10 years.....

probably best to find an easy to work on custom garage truckmount....
but I dont think you can find one unless you go with fuel heat....
My garage build is working like a champ..for almost a year now.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
$40,000.00 = 40,000 / $1000.00 dollar jobs. Not including all the other expenses so probably more like 50,000 one thousand jobs. Does anyone else see that as plain nuts? I don’t think I at 51 years old have that many jobs left in me. And that’s just to pay off the friggen thing wowwee. Think I’d move totally to encapsulating
I think ur math is a little off there buddy lol

Thats only 40 $1000 tickets not 40,000 $1000 tickets lol.

Reactions: PistolPete

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I think ur math is a little off there buddy lol

Thats only 40 $1000 tickets not 40,000 $1000 tickets lol.
Yup, I'm building the $4 million truck mount... I'm selling it to the oil Sheiks . It's got a diamond encrusted dash board and is installed in a stretched rolls royce van.

Reactions: ACP

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Lol i saw after I replied that he already got teased for the math oops.

I think the 38k price is justified tbh.

Its just that too many carpet cleaners are stuck in the $200 per job mindset... not realizing that same amount of carpet cleaning cost $200 20years ago.

Those $200 tickets should be $450 and you should be able to make the value of that Everest in 3 months or so max

Reactions: sbsscn