Rinse, Rinse and Acid Rinse.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I've been here on TMF for a few months now and I keep reading the same comments about rinsing and more type of acid rinses. In all the years I've been in this industry I have never used a rinse. On wool no problems, before Carpet Protection application, no problems, after any type of cleaning, restoration no problems. I have always used Prochem products. My cleaning agents are no residue cleaners. I do not use a porty or use any VLM products or methods. I have always used the best products.
Even upholstery, no rinses no problems.
My question is, why so much rinsing?

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Isn't water a rinse? Or are you leaving all the cleaning product in the carpet? :confused:

Yes, water is a rinse. I've never had crusty or sticky feeling carpet after cleaning. My cleaner of choice is guaranteed residue free. I still would like to know why so much rinsing? Is it because of the different spotters and cleaners being used?

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Isn't water a rinse? Or are you leaving all the cleaning product in the carpet? :confused:

Sorry, I don't want to confuse you. If you knew of a cleaning agent that was made to eliminate the need for rinsing would you use it. Excellent results, super concentrated and has been proven over the years.
No sticky or crusty feeling after drying. No dirt attracting residue. No need to rinse before Carpet Protection application. No adverse effect to Wool. Would you purchase it or continue rinsing? I'm not selling anything just would like to know.
I would think that the need for rinsing would be a direct result of the quality of cleaners being used.

La Flama Blanca

May 16, 2013
Real Name
Darin
I've always used prochems all fiber rinse 1 quart per 5 gallons, metered at about 2 gallons per hour. I've never had a call back due to re-soiling. It's super cheap to use at only about $20 per gallon. One gallon lasts me a full week based on 5 jobs per day....so I think at $0.80 per house it's worth not having to go back because a stain reappears...

☆☆Arizona Carpet Cleaning☆☆

La Flama Blanca

May 16, 2013
Real Name
Darin
I'm all for what works for you. I have always been taught to use it. I believe the rinse serves a purpose but water does the same thing although the "pH" won't be at 7 but its not like anyone is actually going to bust out a pH meter and check haha.

☆☆Arizona Carpet Cleaning☆☆

pmathot

Jun 7, 2011
Penrith, Lower Blue Mountains - Sydney, Australia
www.mightyclean.com.au
Real Name
Phil Mathot
Business Location
Australia
My understanding is that a small amount of surfactant in the rinse water assists in filling gaps between prespray surfactant miscelles, resulting in less prespray residue - and hence less resoiling. Somebody mentioned guaranteed residue free. I find this incredibly difficult to believe. There is always a small amount of residue left behind, it's the nature of this small amount which is the question.

My understanding of acid rinses is that they are used to help neutralise any residual alkalinity left in the carpet by the prespray. A prespray is usually alkaline, reacts with the mostly acidic soils in the carpet, and loses most of it's alkalinity right there, and of course most of it is extracted. An acid rinse may help neutralise any alkalinity that remains. The reason this is important is because some fibres (eg. wool) are damaged by prolonged exposure to alkalinity. It's also important to have carpet alkaline free as human skin is sensitive to high pH. Some of the modern acid rinses also behave like emulsifiers in that they contain surfactants to fill in miscelle gaps.

Phil M.

Reactions: Gavin and Gasoline

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
I like a good clear water rinse. I don't know what product you are talking about, but if you are not rinsing it, you are leaving a residue in the carpet. When we say rinse, we are speaking of the process of wanding, putting water into the carpet and extracting.

Here, check this out. I blogged about it awhile back.

http://questfloorcare.com/2013/04/imagine-youre-taking-a-shower/

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums mo

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
I like a good clear water rinse. I don't know what product you are talking about, but if you are not rinsing it, you are leaving a residue in the carpet. When we say rinse, we are speaking of the process of wanding, putting water into the carpet and extracting.

Here, check this out. I blogged about it awhile back.

http://questfloorcare.com/2013/04/imagine-youre-taking-a-shower/

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums mo
So the acid and detergent rinse is like the conditioner you put in your hair. Sure it makes it soft and silky, but in the course of the day it begins to feel and look greasy. Makes sense. I never liked the conditioner product, it always felt slimy to me.

Reactions: Tom Ingram

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
John, if you have very soft water, you may not notice much difference between using a rinse product and not using a rinse product. There will still be a difference, but not easily noticed. Still if you are trying to do the best job possible, even small differences matter.

There will be less residue when an acid rinse agent is properly used. Since these products end up diluted somewhere between 1:300 and 1:600 there is not much product, not enough that would make the carpet feel slimy, not enough to cost much, but enough to reduce resoiling in the weeks and months after cleaning.

Here is another situation where a rinse agent can help. Supposed you are cleaning a pivot point or a soiled traffic lane. After the first stroke, there is more soil to remove, so you make multiple wand strokes. After the first stroke, what are you cleaning with? Nothing but water. A little emulsifier and/or surfactant helps get the remaining soil from that spot.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I use Magic Wands, Crystal Rinse. It just rinses your prespray out better than plan water. Leaves no residue. Plus it has some cleaning ability. Magic Wand has great products.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
John, if you have very soft water, you may not notice much difference between using a rinse product and not using a rinse product. There will still be a difference, but not easily noticed. Still if you are trying to do the best job possible, even small differences matter.

There will be less residue when an acid rinse agent is properly used. Since these products end up diluted somewhere between 1:300 and 1:600 there is not much product, not enough that would make the carpet feel slimy, not enough to cost much, but enough to reduce resoiling in the weeks and months after cleaning.

Here is another situation where a rinse agent can help. Supposed you are cleaning a pivot point or a soiled traffic lane. After the first stroke, there is more soil to remove, so you make multiple wand strokes. After the first stroke, what are you cleaning with? Nothing but water. A little emulsifier and/or surfactant helps get the remaining soil from that spot.

Scott - Is it actually less residue, or is the purpose to neutralize any residue that might be left, and leave it at or close to neutral?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Scott - Is it actually less residue, or is the purpose to neutralize any residue that might be left, and leave it at or close to neutral?

Both less residue (with any rinse) and neutralizing if the rinse is an acid side rinse. The surfactancy of the rinse allows the water to lower surface tension thus breaking the water into much smaller drops that can penetrate every abraded area, nook, cranny or whatever and flush out residues.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT