Restoration Question

powerhouse_cc

Feb 15, 2017
Real Name
Jeff farmer
I would like to start or add on restoration for water and mold. I have completed and passed WRT, Applied structural drying class and took my mold class today. As a carpet cleaner for the last 10 years i have zero experience in restoration. Can I start doing this stuff already or do I need contractor license and or led/ asbestos license? My plan was to knock out the fire and odor class then do exactimate class and then finally start. However I heard someone say I need contractors license if I’m going to be cutting drywall.... any advice would be appreciated.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
been there, done that.

Having a carpet cleaning business is totally different than a restoration business except they both in involve cleaning.

1. scheduling.
Carpet cleaning appointments are scheduled in advance. Residential is daytime work, commercial is nights/weekends

Restoration work is 24/7. You will need a separate trained crew to be on call every minute of every day. I cant count how many calls I got during Thanksgiving dinner.

2. Customers.
Although the true customer is the homeowner or business owner, most of your income will come from insurance companies. this means a completely separate marketing plan for restoration. You also best have a good line of credit handy for the insurance companies that take their time to pay

3. Equipment.
Although you can still use your carpet cleaning equipment on most small water jobs you will need a ton of additional equipment if your doing large water jobs and fire restoration.

4. Shop
You can run a small carpet cleaning business out of your home and even a decent size one out of a small shop. A restoration business needs a much larger shop for all the additional equipment and contents processing and cleaning.

Those are the highlights. Im sure you thought of all this already since you took the classes. Hope you have a good plan going forward. Reality will sink in about 6 months into the business.

Good luck!

Reactions: SRD

powerhouse_cc

Feb 15, 2017
Real Name
Jeff farmer
been there, done that.

Having a carpet cleaning business is totally different than a restoration business except they both in involve cleaning.

1. scheduling.
Carpet cleaning appointments are scheduled in advance. Residential is daytime work, commercial is nights/weekends

Restoration work is 24/7. You will need a separate trained crew to be on call every minute of every day. I cant count how many calls I got during Thanksgiving dinner.

2. Customers.
Although the true customer is the homeowner or business owner, most of your income will come from insurance companies. this means a completely separate marketing plan for restoration. You also best have a good line of credit handy for the insurance companies that take their time to pay

3. Equipment.
Although you can still use your carpet cleaning equipment on most small water jobs you will need a ton of additional equipment if your doing large water jobs and fire restoration.

4. Shop
You can run a small carpet cleaning business out of your home and even a decent size one out of a small shop. A restoration business needs a much larger shop for all the additional equipment and contents processing and cleaning.

Those are the highlights. Im sure you thought of all this already since you took the classes. Hope you have a good plan going forward. Reality will sink in about 6 months into the business.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Do you think I need a contractor license and is there any other classes I should take?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the reply! Do you think I need a contractor license and is there any other classes I should take?

Contractors license is from state too state. Certain aspects of demolition require a contractors license. If you’re going to do restoration you’ll be doing a lot of demolition work before you can properly dryout a unit

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Water/Fire Damage is really two steps. Getting the place back to where it can be put back together and putting it back together. Putting it back together requires carpenters, etc. so if your going to do that part, then you probably will need a contractors license but check with your city and state

Reactions: SRD

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
If you are in Texas then you don't need a contractors license. Have you already got your drying equipment? Water damage restoration is fun and exiting but it is certainly no joke. There is a learning curve like anything else so take the Applied Structural Drying course and then you can be on your way. Lots of information to read and study about for water restoration.