Restaurants made easy with encap

ebarnett

Jul 5, 2013
Morgantown, WV
www.UltraBrite.biz
Real Name
Eric Barnett
Restaurants grease has been a problem for encap since the beginning as most encappers can attest. For me, my results were always "just ok" when it came to encapping restaurants. It was frustrating to get the "wow" effect in most other commercial accounts only to be underwhelmed in a grease spoon. As a result I went on a search and tried many different things to get better results.

My breakthrough was to do a 1. light pre spray with a carpet degreaser. 2. Hot knife (double strength) with the Cimex. 3. Pad cap with my Orbot and Tuways. - my results improved drastically....however....I did not like the idea of using a non encap pre spray to cut the grease. I hoped that the Hot Knife would also encapsulate the pre spray but I was never certain.

I ordered more Hot Knife Extreme from Vacaway and also some Detonator. With my order came a sample of their new Grease Hog - a high PH encap pre spray designed specifically for grease. I used it last night on a very greasy Japanese steakhouse and here is what I found:

First I mixed my pre spray 4 oz per gallon Grease Hog and spiked it with 5 oz per gallon Detonator. In my Cimex I used 4 oz per gallon HKE and spiked it with 5 oz per gallon Detonator. Here are a couple shots:
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403278089.209505.jpg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403278106.842925.jpg

I found out that the Grease Hog cut the grease as good if not better than the carpet degreaser I had been using. As a test, I put the pre spray in my Orbot and scrubbed it in with a fiber pad. That in itself cleaned up the carpet drastically. In fact when I followed with the Cimex and Hot knife I made further small improvements on the carpet, but it was clear Grease Hawg had done most of the work.

As far as the Detonator (a peroxide based cleaner) I'm not sure if it helped me much on this job. I was fighting a film of grease, not many food stains. It may have given a boost to both the Grease Hog and HKE but not really sure. And not sure if in this situation it justified the extra chemical cost.

Then I ran out of the sample Pre spray and decided to do the final section with just the Cimex and Hot Knife Extreme, this time double strength:
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403278566.536494.jpg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403278577.086278.jpg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403278593.523924.jpg

It came out well...but not as good as first pre spraying with Grease Hawg.

Here is what I know: I have an all encap system that will work very well on greasy restaurants with the new Grease Hawg being the key. More testing to come.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

Avdo

Oct 12, 2013
Real Name
Avdo Avdic
Those are some great results. Can you please explain word "spiked it" little better. Do you mean you just added xxx amount of oz to your comix or?

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
Yes. Added 5 oz per gallon Detonator to both the pre spray and to the solution in the Cimex. A Booster in other words.

you prespray and put down more chem again in the cimex? or am I reading that wrong.

On really bad ones (not often) I will lightly pre spray tilemaster and let it dwell a bit and then come back with the orbot and spray hk+detonator while padding. Results are phenomenal.. like your pics.

May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Restaurants grease has been a problem for encap since the beginning as most encappers can attest. For me, my results were always "just ok" when it came to encapping restaurants. It was frustrating to get the "wow" effect in most other commercial accounts only to be underwhelmed in a grease spoon. As a result I went on a search and tried many different things to get better results.

My breakthrough was to do a 1. light pre spray with a carpet degreaser. 2. Hot knife (double strength) with the Cimex. 3. Pad cap with my Orbot and Tuways. - my results improved drastically....however....I did not like the idea of using a non encap pre spray to cut the grease. I hoped that the Hot Knife would also encapsulate the pre spray but I was never certain.

I ordered more Hot Knife Extreme from Vacaway and also some Detonator. With my order came a sample of their new Grease Hog - a high PH encap pre spray designed specifically for grease. I used it last night on a very greasy Japanese steakhouse and here is what I found:

First I mixed my pre spray 4 oz per gallon Grease Hog and spiked it with 5 oz per gallon Detonator. In my Cimex I used 4 oz per gallon HKE and spiked it with 5 oz per gallon Detonator. Here are a couple shots: View attachment 31041 View attachment 31042

I found out that the Grease Hog cut the grease as good if not better than the carpet degreaser I had been using. As a test, I put the pre spray in my Orbot and scrubbed it in with a fiber pad. That in itself cleaned up the carpet drastically. In fact when I followed with the Cimex and Hot knife I made further small improvements on the carpet, but it was clear Grease Hawg had done most of the work.

As far as the Detonator (a peroxide based cleaner) I'm not sure if it helped me much on this job. I was fighting a film of grease, not many food stains. It may have given a boost to both the Grease Hog and HKE but not really sure. And not sure if in this situation it justified the extra chemical cost.

Then I ran out of the sample Pre spray and decided to do the final section with just the Cimex and Hot Knife Extreme, this time double strength:
View attachment 31044 View attachment 31045 View attachment 31046

It came out well...but not as good as first pre spraying with Grease Hawg.

Here is what I know: I have an all encap system that will work very well on greasy restaurants with the new Grease Hawg being the key. More testing to come.

Nice! I like it.

Restaurants are dogs so anything you can do to improve those margins is a good thing.

ebarnett

Jul 5, 2013
Morgantown, WV
www.UltraBrite.biz
Real Name
Eric Barnett
you prespray and put down more chem again in the cimex? or am I reading that wrong.

On really bad ones (not often) I will lightly pre spray tilemaster and let it dwell a bit and then come back with the orbot and spray hk+detonator while padding. Results are phenomenal.. like your pics.
Yes on bad ones I pre spray and let dwell. Then come back over it with Cimex with more encap. The grease will really retard the foaming but I know I have enough chemical when clean lines are being cut. Then finish with the bonnets and Orbot to remove excess chems and grease.

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
Yes on bad ones I pre spray and let dwell. Then come back over it with Cimex with more encap. The grease will really retard the foaming but I know I have enough chemical when clean lines are being cut. Then finish with the bonnets and Orbot to remove excess chems and grease.

Nice. Yea I am running Tilemaster followed by HK & detonator I. The nasties. I think from your post it sounds like maybe you should have just run grease hog in the cimex and then padded behind with the orbot? Based on Steve's video of the detonator with grease hog it seems to really get the juice acting fast... So I would maybe just of grease hog with detonator in the tank next time, no pre-spray, followed by padding. Just a thought. Even if the results could be a little better, it might not justify the time and chems.

Ryan Kettering

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Nice. Yea I am running Tilemaster followed by HK & detonator I. The nasties. I think from your post it sounds like maybe you should have just run grease hog in the cimex and then padded behind with the orbot? Based on Steve's video of the detonator with grease hog it seems to really get the juice acting fast... So I would maybe just of grease hog with detonator in the tank next time, no pre-spray, followed by padding. Just a thought. Even if the results could be a little better, it might not justify the time and chems.

Ryan Kettering

Ryan, you put Tilemaster in with an Encap? don't you have to rinse the Tilemaster out because of the high PH?

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
Ryan, you put Tilemaster in with an Encap? don't you have to rinse the Tilemaster out because of the high PH?

No, I don't mix the tilemaster in with the encap. I pre-spray tile master lightly before and let dwell a bit. then I go encap as usual with the orbot and use hot knife and detonator in the on board sprayer. The encap should encapsulate some of the tile master product, the pads should get the rest. Is it 100% ideal/scientific? no.. but in real life you just do what works to get the job done the best possible. NOW.. that being said, grease hog is a new product out from vacaway that is 12ph that in my opinion sounds like a tile cleaner with encap polymer fusion.. so, it is the best of both worlds. I think could eliminate the 2 step spray process I mentioned. hope this makes sense. **this is only for the real nasties, or the semi nasties that you don't have a lot of time to mess with ;)

MPR

Mar 10, 2014
Illinois
Real Name
Mike Raimer
Business Location
United States
I have never heard of the products listed, hot knife and grease hog? What products are these and where would you get them. I am trying to land a few contracts for restaurants and was wondering the same. Is there a bridgepoint product that is similiar. I normally order from there or JD with the double strength encap. Also what is an Orbit and how do you handle carpet protector when dealing with encap. Does it have to be replaced every time after the initial (annual) HWE?

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Can anyone of you encappers show us a picture of how it looks 24-36 hours later? Not 5minutes later. I'm still not believing that this is a proper way to remove the soil and grease from restaurant carpet. Office carpet: yes, Restaurant carpet:????

I'm just concerned that it's gonna look like crap, less than a week later. That's all.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Let me give a good example of why I"m thinking this. A lot of times, when I pre spray my solvent down on a heavily greased carpet that is full of organic stains and soils, my peroxide booster makes a lot of those spots disappear just a few minutes later.

Now, does that mean that I'm done and it will stay that way? No. Just a few days later, it will look worse than it did before. That's my reasoning.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I dont do many restaurants, but when I have, I used encap products (Hot Knife top of list) but never got the results I was needing to satisfy the client, so I switched to HWE. This combo (and its available for me in Canada, locally) will be something I will try. Thanks for sharing.
EDIT: How long to do the job?

Kenny Wright

Jan 29, 2009
Virginia
Real Name
Kenny Wright
Business Location
United States
I have never heard of the products listed, hot knife and grease hog? What products are these and where would you get them. I am trying to land a few contracts for restaurants and was wondering the same. Is there a bridgepoint product that is similiar. I normally order from there or JD with the double strength encap. Also what is an Orbit and how do you handle carpet protector when dealing with encap. Does it have to be replaced every time after the initial (annual) HWE?
http://hos-usa.com/products/orbot.html

http://vacaway.com/

ebarnett

Jul 5, 2013
Morgantown, WV
www.UltraBrite.biz
Real Name
Eric Barnett

Ryan Kettering
Good point and I will try this. Would really save on chemical cost. And certainly on time.

ebarnett

Jul 5, 2013
Morgantown, WV
www.UltraBrite.biz
Real Name
Eric Barnett
Can anyone of you encappers show us a picture of how it looks 24-36 hours later? Not 5minutes later. I'm still not believing that this is a proper way to remove the soil and grease from restaurant carpet. Office carpet: yes, Restaurant carpet:????

I'm just concerned that it's gonna look like crap, less than a week later. That's all.
I know Matt, I hear those concerns all the time with this encap stuff. Now the shocker...the carpets in the restaurant looks better 24 hours later!

As far as resoiling, to say that the encap will last longer than HWE is hard to judge. In these restaurants they get filthy so quickly either way. I have several restaurants like this that I got because owners were unhappy with previous cleaners (HWE - probably the cleaners were the problem, not the method) they have kept me on the same 4-6 wk schedule that they have always had. They are all very satisfied customers with my cleaning.

Please Note: using encap on compacted grease areas does not work well. If you can see the grease rising as a solid out of the carpet, encap will have a hard time. You will be able to break down the grease, but you will make a big mess that the bonnets just can't completely clean up. In those areas extraction is still the best.

ebarnett

Jul 5, 2013
Morgantown, WV
www.UltraBrite.biz
Real Name
Eric Barnett
I dont do many restaurants, but when I have, I used encap products (Hot Knife top of list) but never got the results I was needing to satisfy the client, so I switched to HWE. This combo (and its available for me in Canada, locally) will be something I will try. Thanks for sharing.
EDIT: How long to do the job?
The job takes me about 3 hrs and I make $350.

jhcinc

Aug 12, 2011
Naples Florida
Real Name
joel hoppe
Business Location
United States
Let me give a good example of why I"m thinking this. A lot of times, when I pre spray my solvent down on a heavily greased carpet that is full of organic stains and soils, my peroxide booster makes a lot of those spots disappear just a few minutes later.

Now, does that mean that I'm done and it will stay that way? No. Just a few days later, it will look worse than it did before. That's my reasoning.
My encap jobs look good far longer than when I use a rotary and truckmount but most do not believe that until they have a trinity machine and vacaway products ---which I have noticed the club is growing.

10 months of encap only but used a lot of absorbent pads on heavy soil areas instead of just a fiber pad.

Checked this job 2 weeks after at end of video