Restaurant Tile & Grout | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Restaurant Tile & Grout

TWalters

Jun 22, 2018
Real Name
Tristen Walters
Had a local Pizza Hut call and want their tile and grout to be cleaned. I did their carpet before and it was grease city. Their tile has this buildup in the grout lines. It is Level with the tile surfaces in a lot of areas, but areas that don’t get walked on (under appliances, ect.) don’t have it at all. I’m assuming this is just grease build up, correct?

Attachments

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Yep.

Had a Golden Corral like that when I first started 10yrs ago, thought I was special when I landed that account lol

Actually taped a flathead screwdriver to a pole and pulled up strips before cleaning. Was annoying but it worked

Reactions: TWalters

TWalters

Jun 22, 2018
Real Name
Tristen Walters
Yep.

Had a Golden Corral like that when I first started 10yrs ago, thought I was special when I landed that account lol

Actually taped a flathead screwdriver to a pole and pulled up strips before cleaning. Was annoying but it worked
Lol yeah I was happy when I got in with them. It’s the one I eat at all the time too so I’m just glad they’re trying to clean it up! Haha
Was thinking of doing it with a screwdriver. Didn’t even think of putting it on a pole. I’m gonna be doing that for sure. Thanks!

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I don’t clean them anymore not worth it IMO.

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
Yeah it definitely will be more work than normal. But I’ve been in business less than a year so I’m taking all I can get lol
Take some good before and afters! Itll be good for showing other places the difference you can make

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Yup, it is a huge grease build up. Honestly you're going to have to warn them the grout underneath is most likely going to be cracked or missing in several places as the grease has weakened it in certain areas.

This is going to be a labor intensive job no matter what you do to it, but hopefully you have a truck mount with high heat setting. I'd honestly hire a helper to scrape those grout lines and then you come behind with chemical, heat, agitation and time.

Then your helper is most likely going to need to go BACK to the area you cleaned and touch up areas.

This will not be an easy one.

Reactions: MikeGaure

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I've done a lot of these.
Keep heat to around 150, any higher and you cook the grease in place.

Also add floor stripper to your pre spray. I use groutmaster and zep stripper.

Allow dwell time and agitation, then reapply.

Also use 1500+ psi.

As stated above, food grease soil is acidic so it kills the grout.

I did a country club kitchen and after we got done there was no grout.
Like none.

The grout was gone long before we got there, our cleaning just revealed the empty spaces that were filled with crud.

Test scrape a couple of areas and make sure there is grout there.

Then educate the customer depending on what you find, otherwise you will own it.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
why do you prefer that floor and what process do you do to clean it?
It's a residential Mexican tile job.
Restoring that floor is big bucks!

I don't do restaurant floors anymore either. I'm doing a nursing home this week including the kitchen, but that's an exception.

If you have nothing else booked then that's one thing, but given a choice I will do residentials all day long over restaurants.

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
It's a residential Mexican tile job.
Restoring that floor is big bucks!

I don't do restaurant floors anymore either. I'm doing a nursing home this week including the kitchen, but that's an exception.

If you have nothing else booked then that's one thing, but given a choice I will do residentials all day long over restaurants.
I have customers who have that floor in their restrooms.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
If ever I get rich, I'm putting true Saltillo (complete with pawprints) somewhere in my house.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
This one is a beautiful Saltillo with lots of paws!
View attachment 85941
I want the paws. I want 'em. Sooooooo unique and individual...!

Dakota, I can't speak for everyone, but for me the appeal isn't so much in how they look (though I do find them beautiful), it's how they're made. True Saltillo tiles are a genuine labor of love, and they take serious effort and time to produce.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I want the paws. I want 'em. Sooooooo unique and individual...!

Dakota, I can't speak for everyone, but for me the appeal isn't so much in how they look (though I do find them beautiful), it's how they're made. True Saltillo tiles are a genuine labor of love, and they take serious effort and time to produce.
It’s also the inconsistency and variants in colors. A well maintained Saltillo is awesome to me. I’ve refinished some pretty amazing floors. Since I sincerely love em and know how to restore them we charge premium prices and we get paid handsomely for putting that love into action.

Very artistic floors imo.

Latest posts