Restaurant Dumpsters

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 1, 2014
Real Name
Eric Martsen
Business Location
United States
How do I best clean restaurant dumpsters and attached compactors on concrete platforms, and also surrounding asphalt? What a mess! Remains of rotten seafood and garbage goop everywhere stinking in the summer heat. The concrete platform is loaded with grease. They want me to try to recapture the water too so that there is no yucky garbage juice and grease trail down the asphalt to the sewer drain. My 2 truckmounts are moderate PSI, 1000-1200 psi or so. One is fuel fired so I can get immediate 250-300 degrees. I also have a regular cold water 3400 PSI portable, stand-alone gas powered Honda pressure washer.

I notice that if we really get really aggressive with heat and PSI the asphalt starts crumbling and coming up. I have been using typical tile and grout degreasers as well as any general Zep degreasers I can lay my hands on at Home Depot. Any ideas? Anybody? I really wish I hadn't committed to this project, but I am -- fully committed. It's for my biggest customer and they want results, now. The same restaurant tenants who trash these dumpsters then complain about the bad summertime smell to their landlord, my customer!

Last edited:

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
yep quit that many yrs ago need proper PW setup lots of flow and heat

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
You should not have committed to something you either don’t do or DON’T want to do! I turn down stuff all the time that we don’t do or don’t want to get into. And you know what, they appreciate the fact that your upfront even the more! Short answer to your question, the easiest way would be to degrease it heavy then pressure clean it down that drain they don’t want you to use.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Personally, I'd apologize and back out of it. I've cleaned dumpsters, its nasty work and your equipment isn't quite right for it. Especially if they want you to recover that mess. You don't want that in your truck mount waste tank.

But, if you are committed and feel determined....

First I would set up a barrier around the work area to contain water. If you have equipment for flood water extraction that would be good on this. You can have the pump running at the low point of the containment area. Its a lot of extra work but keep in mind, washing all that crap down the storm drain is likely an EPA violation. That volume of wastewater is often considered hazardous waste. Now if the drain is an actual sewer drain, you can save some trouble and wash right into, assuming your local regs will allow that.
You're going to want to find a very heavy duty cleaner/degreaser. A lot of pressure washing suppliers carry some good ones. If you can find something with enzymes that would be really great. Spray it the dumpster with a foam gun. You want it on there really thick so it can do its things. Then hit it about 2500psi and hot hot hot water.

Rinsing the asphalt is tricky. Its a softer material than concrete and its a lot of tare with softens up with heat. So turn your temp down and use lower pressure. I find lower pressure and high flow work best for asphalt.

When all is done give them a case of this stuff
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/di...resh-cleaner-deodorizer-case/32194266359.html
and tell them to spray down there dumpster once a week. We used to do it every Tuesday after the dumpster had been emptied at the supermarket I worked at. And maybe once in between if the departments emptied their grease traps. Worked really well for helping the smell down, just attach to a garden hose and spray away.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
Um, sub out that work. Or pay another company to do it and see how it's done. BTW when you see someone else do it you may discover that you're grossly under equipped, under educated as well as under motivated. Or you will find that for a few thousand dollars worth of equipment and training you will have yourself a nice little side business doing some pressure washing. However if you walk away it will just be a bad memory and/or a good lesson five or ten years from now.

Oct 1, 2014
Real Name
Eric Martsen
Business Location
United States
Personally, I'd apologize and back out of it. I've cleaned dumpsters, its nasty work and your equipment isn't quite right for it. Especially if they want you to recover that mess. You don't want that in your truck mount waste tank.

But, if you are committed and feel determined....

First I would set up a barrier around the work area to contain water. If you have equipment for flood water extraction that would be good on this. You can have the pump running at the low point of the containment area. Its a lot of extra work but keep in mind, washing all that crap down the storm drain is likely an EPA violation. That volume of wastewater is often considered hazardous waste. Now if the drain is an actual sewer drain, you can save some trouble and wash right into, assuming your local regs will allow that.
You're going to want to find a very heavy duty cleaner/degreaser. A lot of pressure washing suppliers carry some good ones. If you can find something with enzymes that would be really great. Spray it the dumpster with a foam gun. You want it on there really thick so it can do its things. Then hit it about 2500psi and hot hot hot water.

Rinsing the asphalt is tricky. Its a softer material than concrete and its a lot of tare with softens up with heat. So turn your temp down and use lower pressure. I find lower pressure and high flow work best for asphalt.

When all is done give them a case of this stuff
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/di...resh-cleaner-deodorizer-case/32194266359.html
and tell them to spray down there dumpster once a week. We used to do it every Tuesday after the dumpster had been emptied at the supermarket I worked at. And maybe once in between if the departments emptied their grease traps. Worked really well for helping the smell down, just attach to a garden hose and spray away.
Thanks for the helpful hints. Do you think the liquid deodorizer is superior to the powder in the 5 gallon pails?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Thanks for the helpful hints. Do you think the liquid deodorizer is superior to the powder in the 5 gallon pails?
What powder are you referring to?

The liquid is an enzyme that eats all the grease and bacteria, it can keep working for several days after you apply it. I don't know if its better than the powder you are looking at but its pretty idiot proof to use, thats why I would include the cost of a case of it and leave it at the restaurant with instructions for them to use it weekly. Make a few hundred bucks extra and come in and "train" some of the crew on how to use it.