Restaurant booth upholstery | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Restaurant booth upholstery

kpip1972

Mar 11, 2016
Real Name
Kyle Pipkin
Going to clean 40 booths (just the backs , the seats are vinyl) next week. They are very heavily soiled and have never been cleaned in this restaurants 10 year existence. I haven’t cleaned very much upholstery and never in a restaurant. Need some recommendations on what chemical I should use ? Also is it best to apply with a pump up sprayer ? Or hydro force ? After applying it how long should I let it dwell? Should I agitate with a brush ?

Thanks

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Any help ?
I wish I can get you straight answer to help you out, but I don't have one. When I got in that
" nasty" business ( cleaning restaurants) I was going in with an enthusiasm for making improvements on all ends : carpet, tile&grout, hardwood floors and upholstery in booths seatings.
It's long shot to get restaurants to maintain all the areas equally. It all depends on location, demographics and management of the particular location and how much funds they allocate to that portion of the business. I gave you all that
" nonsense " just in case that you're getting more than one location.
More then good chemistry, heat and agitation, you need lot of patience. There are members whose been cleaning those backs with a Oreck orbiter. That says a lot. It wasn't out of love for cleaning, more out of desperation...
First of all, don't be afraid to use strong juice, the material is designed to take lot of abuse from customers backs. Before cleaning, I should inspect material first and look for fraying, since it might be not visible under the layers of soil. Make one or two pictures, so you can document it and not assuming any responsibility. I didn't have that problem, but I want to give you heads up. It would be ideal if you can make an extra $$ of cleaning seats also( they get wet as you prespray backs) and yes seats are nasty also. If you going to use stronger juice, make sure that you wipe it asap, some cheap vinyl might be prone to chemical damage (?) if chemistry is left on surface for a prolonged period of time.
I use Prochem synthetic prespray with protein and stain remover mixed in it( I haven't seen any adverse reaction from mix) but be careful what you mix together. I do apply prespray with a 1 gallon hand pump( up to 10 backs at time) i have attached foam nozzle instead of regular spray pattern nozzle. For mechanical agitation I use Hot rod ( search in forum archives) with a adjustable speed. Bring some air movers, so you can set them on tabletop and speed dry the backs. When done wit cleaning, I use hose end( 2") to go around the corners and side edges to remove moisture. Make sure to remove soap residue entirely, you don't want ti see it next day on the surface forming salt like looking crust. Get plenty of terry towels , so you can wipe seats and finalize corners and edges on backs.
So, good chemistry, good agitation, heat will help, but more than anything you need a lot of patience, brother.
I'm heading out, I'll try to give you more info when I get back.
Good luck!

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
welcome to the wonderful life of cleaning resturant upholstery.....

agree with Lucky
1. prespray with Robs SF or prochem ultrapac
2. use hydraforce
3. agitate with oreck orbiter
4. extract with FLEX ICE or Rbsf rinse
5. get 2-3 fans and dry AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
wicking can be a pain
6. upholstery is thin and only needs 3-5 minutes dwell time.
7. Use the HYDRAMASTER the DRIMAASTER
worth every bit of 400$ and no triger!!!

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Here's a few examples of soiled backs, light is making it less dirty, though..
Tool might be not an ideal, but I wouldn't recommend to use 30 lbs Oreck on 40 backs, unless you're Mr. Muscle.
As always, I would like to ask for a feedback @kpip1972 from the job, the process, chemistry, choice of equipment and tools, some pics and few words about outcome. It's not for me to learn, but we all would benefit from already proven techniques and experiments. Without it, we would be only threads jumpers not leaving any useful information for the future seekers of similar topics.

Attachments