Replacing my box truck-What big boy machine should I get?

Which big boy truckmount do you recommend?

• Sapphire Scientific

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Prochem

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Hydramaster

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Other (Please mention in thread your recommendation)

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Well the time has come to finally retire the old bad boy. She served me well after a rough start when no one including the factory could fix him. I finally found a surgeon in Florida that got him up and running properly. So yes, we went through hell a few times but we pulled out of the fiery depths and cleaned millions sq feet of carpet, made a dvd and in the last couple years served as a backup stud in the fold. He is limping and as much as I hate to do it its time. Its time to put him down and give him a decent burial. With over 200,000 miles & 15,000 hours on the truckmount you served me well. Goodbye old friend.

Well with that out of the way it is time to decide what to get next. I am more than likely going to get a high roof Nissan NV. So now the question is what big boy machine do I go with. The 60hp Triton LS with 59 blower was a beast when it ran right. I can't see going with anything that has less power. I guess my choices are (in no particular order);

Sapphire Scientific 870
Prochem Everest 650
Hydramaster Titan 575

ss 870 .jpg

everest.jpg

titan 575.jpg

I need dependability, power and durability. Any recommendations?

Reactions: MAU CORNEJO

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Some parting shots. Ahhh the memories... :cry:

box truck dvd.jpg
old box truck.jpg

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I wouldn't consider the Titan 575 a "Big Boy". Very nice and reliable unit that's been proven.
Comes down to 870 or Everest 650.
I'm assuming you want dual wand capability?
870 seems to be the flavour of the day.
I think you have a good idea what you will be picking up but nice to get feedback.

suncarpet

Staff member
Premium VIP
Jul 18, 2013
Bakersfield ca
www.suncarpet.net
Real Name
Rob mueller
Business Location
United States
Well the time has come to finally retire the old bad boy. She served me well after a rough start when no one including the factory could fix him. I finally found a surgeon in Florida that got him up and running properly. So yes, we went through hell a few times but we pulled out of the fiery depths and cleaned millions sq feet of carpet, made a dvd and in the last couple years served as a backup stud in the fold. He is limping and as much as I hate to do it its time. Its time to put him down and give him a decent burial. With over 200,000 miles & 15,000 hours on the truckmount you served me well. Goodbye old friend.

Well with that out of the way it is time to decide what to get next. I am more than likely going to get a high roof Nissan NV. So now the question is what big boy machine do I go with. The 60hp Triton LS with 59 blower was a beast when it ran right. I can't see going with anything that has less power. I guess my choices are (in no particular order);

Sapphire Scientific 870
Prochem Everest 650
Hydramaster Titan 575

View attachment 57424

View attachment 57425

View attachment 57426

I need dependability, power and durability. Any recommendations?
I would say the 870.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Hydramaster CDS with salsa

Butler 123 with big blower max heat

Sapphire pro 1200
Reliable TM's . Put them into a new van and lease. Sell in three year when the unit is still in decent shape ... re lease new.
My big hang up with PTO's is the extra wear and tear on van engine.
Also reinstalling into another van gets pricey.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I would say the 870. Looks to be number one in reliability . Look back at reviews of all three machines and only one without massive breakdown issues is the 870.
Not the HM Titan 575 Rob.
Yes the Titan 875 had lots of issues and discontinued.
Haven't seen reviews of a 870 that is are few years old and 3000 plus hrs. @wuznmee has his concerns with SS
Everest ... has it's concerns ( overheating, computer board) @Prosteam-sonomacounty .
Mike went with an Apex after his accident for those reasons I believe ( could be mistaken).

envy

Mar 12, 2015
Real Name
Aaron R
I ran a 870 for a few years and have a 575 now. I love the 575 but they're not the same machine and not for the same job. For residential and light commercial, 575 is perfect for me.

When the 870 was running right, nothing was better. Great vacuum and insane heat. We just happened to get a lemon. In the first three years, it was in the shop or should have been in the shop more often than it was running. It got to the point where the mechanic couldn't figure what else to try.

From the sounds of the reviews coming out today, our problems were specific to our machine. But just in case, I went the Titan route instead of the 570. I couldn't afford and didn't want to afford having to absorb a machine with reliability issues.

I do have to say, this was one of the earlier 870's made. They probably have worked a lot of the kinks out since that time. I just wanted to share my experiences as I have used two of the three that you're considering.

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
The 575 is an awesome machine and without a doubt, the most reliable on your shopping list but, It really doesn't fit in the "beast" category. I don't think I've ever made it a secret that I'm not exactly a SS cheerleader but, the 870 does qualify as a beast. Unfortunately, it's a beast that will fight you tooth and nail every time it requires maintenance. IMO, it's also still in the development stage, where the Everest is a tried and true workhorse.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Why didn't you buy that box truck with 870 in it Rob, guy had it down to $55k...even a that number it was a deal, especially if you're gonna run it for 10 years plus