Removing Carpet Glue from Tile & Grout? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Removing Carpet Glue from Tile & Grout?

randyg6224

Jan 1, 2011
Green Bay, WI
www.newsolidsurfacecleaning.com
Real Name
Randy Grygiel
Business Location
United States
Looked at some tile & grout today that had carpet glued down over it years ago. Customer pulled up the carpet and now needs the glue removed and wants the tile & grout to look good. Tile & grout also had old wax (floor finish) applied at one time. This is a church. Can't use mechanical removal, don't want to damage tiles. Any suggestions on removing the old carpet glue? Strippers? Any one ever have to do this before?
Thanks!!

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
I'd do a test with some stripper and a spinner. Its not going to be easy especially if it is old glue. If it had a finish on it before the glue then that would be good as the stripper would work on the finish. Depending on how you mix the stripper, it should work pretty good.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I attemped this a couple years ago and got zero results. I started with a black pad and some high ph. Then went down to an acid. Then hit it hard with muriatic acid. I gave up

Rick F

Apr 27, 2011
new york
Real Name
richard fall
Business Location
United States
Try aqua mix sealer and coating remover, i use it to strip poly out of slate. I keep it on my van it get crazy stains out of tile and grout.

suncarpet

Staff member
Premium VIP
Jul 18, 2013
Bakersfield ca
www.suncarpet.net
Real Name
Rob mueller
Business Location
United States
That's gonna be a tough one. Custy won't want to pay for what it's gonna take to remove it. I would try goo gone and black pad on 175. Then move on to stripping the topical coat with 175 as we'll. then spin off with Tilemaster. All day job and tons of hands and knees work. Good luck. 3.00 sqft minimum or your gonna loose

Rob Mueller

waxman

Jun 23, 2008
Long Island
Real Name
Vincenzo
Business Location
United States
Try using citrol from Ncl, it's a citrus cleaner. Do a test spot spray on let it dwell, you will have to test to get the correct dwell time but it will break down the glue scrub and remove.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

randyg6224

Jan 1, 2011
Green Bay, WI
www.newsolidsurfacecleaning.com
Real Name
Randy Grygiel
Business Location
United States
Went and did some testing with various solutions. Goo-Gone didn't touch it. Bonesaw stripper just a little removed. Citrol was next best but not great.
Goof-Off actually did great! Started to dissolve the old glue in a few minutes and with a little scrubbing, came off completely.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

Fernando Navarro

Premium VIP
Oct 9, 2008
L.A
www.carpetcleaninginla.com
Real Name
Fernando Navarro
Business Location
United States
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1392850372.610444.jpg

You'll thank me later.

Best stuff I have found it was absolutely not damage the tile.
We use it to remove mastic glue, Carpet and VCT glue

Carpetcleaninginla.com

Fernando Navarro

Premium VIP
Oct 9, 2008
L.A
www.carpetcleaninginla.com
Real Name
Fernando Navarro
Business Location
United States
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1392850523.925886.jpg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1392850538.976195.jpg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1392850559.142605.jpg

This project had Epoxy four or five different types of glue.
We applied a heavy coat
Let sit overnight
Came back in the morning I used our commercial shop used shop vac to pick up all slurry.

Carpetcleaninginla.com