Refinishing

Jul 9, 2017
Real Name
stephanie barber
We've refinished VCT (tiles) but never Vinyl Sheeting. I've been working on cleaning some of the floors in the medical clinic we just took over and it seems they're dulled, no sheen what so ever. I've got them cleaned, the dirt removed but they don't have that nice clean appearance. Its a medical exam room it should look nice and clean, right? I want to give it that but I don't want to screw up their floors. I'm going to call a floor company Monday but I wanted to ask what others say about this. Can finish be applied to sheeting just as if it were VCT?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Sheet vinyl can have thin layers of finish applied. It can build-up faster than VCT. So, 1 or 2 light layers and feather-in near the edges.

Once you begin applying finish, there will be more maintenance needed to keep the shined look of the finish.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
If posible i avoid finishing floors like that. It means more work for you that likely wont be appreciated or paid for.

Reactions: Scott W

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
If posible i avoid finishing floors like that. It means more work for you that likely wont be appreciated or paid for.
If your talking about marmoleum. There are times it’s not a choice. Under chairs and in front of photocopiers it just doesn’t stand up. I personally hate this type of flooring.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I was talking about lvt or linoleum. I have one marmoleum account and I hate it. Like you said, it's a nightmare. There is no easy way to take care of it. Even forbos own directions dont make much sense.

Reactions: floorclean
Jul 9, 2017
Real Name
stephanie barber
Sheet vinyl can have thin layers of finish applied. It can build-up faster than VCT. So, 1 or 2 light layers and feather-in near the edges.

Once you begin applying finish, there will be more maintenance needed to keep the shined look of the finish.
Here's what we're working with. I was thinking of a deep auto scrub w/white pad and cleaner but then we'd still have to contend with the fact there is absolutely not finish, they are completely dull so nothing to stop the dirt from embedding into those crevices again. The floors were wet when I took the photo's.

Attachments

Jul 9, 2017
Real Name
stephanie barber
Are you sure it’s sheet vinyl?
No, but here's what we're working with. I was thinking of a deep auto scrub w/white pad and cleaner but then we'd still have to contend with the fact there is absolutely not finish, they are completely dull so nothing to stop the dirt from embedding into those crevices again. The floors were wet when I took the photo's

Attachments

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Marmoleum is simply a brand name for a specific formulation of sheet vinyl. You would differentiate by knowing where it was purchased or by paperwork, not by field testing. If in doubt, treat it as Marmoleum to maintain the warranty.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
You may need some brush agitation to get down into the crevices (embossed areas) in the wood grain pattern.

A thin layer of finish will help restore shine, but you can often get the shine back by simply cleaning with distilled water to remove the build-up of hard water residue and old cleaning products. They embossed areas are part of the original design and look. They may not want those areas filled up.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
It’s a sheet good “vinyl” in the picture. Your all good to “strip” and reapply a standard floor finish. Use a blue pad to scrub it and a neutral cleaner if there’s no floor finish on it now. Two rises and apply the finish. Two to three coats. Because this type of floor is softer than VCT it wears the finish off quicker. I’d suggest a spray buffing system to maintain it longer.

Jul 9, 2017
Real Name
stephanie barber
Got any pictures?
Yes1 Here's what we're working with. I was thinking of a deep auto scrub w/white pad and cleaner but then we'd still have to contend with the fact there is absolutely not finish, they are completely dull so nothing to stop the dirt from embedding into those crevices again. The floors were wet when I took the photo's
You may need some brush agitation to get down into the crevices (embossed areas) in the wood grain pattern.

A thin layer of finish will help restore shine, but you can often get the shine back by simply cleaning with distilled water to remove the build-up of hard water residue and old cleaning products. They embossed areas are part of the original design and look. They may not want those areas filled up.
Thank you for the information I was wondering if I could just use tap water? Water prices here in my area have jumped due to the flooding.

Jul 9, 2017
Real Name
stephanie barber
It’s a sheet good “vinyl” in the picture. Your all good to “strip” and reapply a standard floor finish. Use a blue pad to scrub it and a neutral cleaner if there’s no floor finish on it now. Two rises and apply the finish. Two to three coats. Because this type of floor is softer than VCT it wears the finish off quicker. I’d suggest a spray buffing system to maintain it longer.
Do you use a splash guard or do you plastic everything off? In the past we've plastic the base, doors and cabinets but that is time consuming. Does the splash guard really help?