Red/pink spots on vinyl floor

FFmedicCC

May 19, 2012
Real Name
jdawg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1361771171.741240.jpg

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1361771196.163170.jpg

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1361771211.038887.jpg

How do you clean them up? Elder lady is moving out of her apartment and they want to take her whole deposit to replace the whole floor in the bathroom.

What could cause them?
In front of the toilet it looks like where her feet would have gone, is it faulty flooring? Or something that she caused?

chrissalter

Oct 7, 2010
fl
Real Name
chris salter
Business Location
United States
2nd and 3rd looks like rust or furniture marks did she have something on them?

Dewitt

Dec 22, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Dewitt
Business Location
United States
Cheap bathroom rugs seems to have dyed the vinyl, I see a ton of that in bathrooms and kitchens where moisture is present. As far as how to remove the stain, I am clueless, my guess would be to experiment with a diluted stripper type product in an inconspicuous spot if possible. The other pictures definitely look like rust, it may require a similar treatment in order to reach the stain. Take this with a grain of salt since I have yet to try to remove such a stain myself. I'll be following this thread for suggestions as well.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
The 2nd and 3rd photos look like rust spots. I would try T-Rust or other mild rust remover product. Most rust removers must be neutralized and rinsed.

I suspect that the larger red stains are from a rubber or vinyl backed mat or rug. This is not likely to come out. Check the pH and apply something that will neutralize. This should lighten the color, but I don't think it will come out of this type of floor. It does not appear that any sacrificial finish was ever applied. The vinyl is inexpensive with a very thin wear layer.

Floor Tek

Apr 10, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Ryan Timmerman
Business Location
United States
I would boost whatever chemical with some boost all. There are some other threads on here that explain how to make a paste with boost all for upholstery. That may help lighten the color, but i've never tried it on the application you are so i don't know how it will turn out, but it shouldn't hurt it.

BESJohn

Dec 5, 2011
South Carolina
Real Name
John Pence, Jr.
Business Location
United States
I've seen the reddish/yellow stains caused by cleaning chemicals. Disinfectants are sprayed all over the area, misting the floor where it sits and doesn't get cleaned up. If there was a mat there, it could definitely be from that.
As stated before, I've had good luck on the rust spots on VCT with carpet rust remover.
Could the small spots be burn marks, like a cigarette ash falling on the floor? The ash would lightly burn the surface before it goes out.

May be cheaper just to replace the cheap vinyl. Probably less than her deposit.

FFmedicCC

May 19, 2012
Real Name
jdawg
I've seen the reddish/yellow stains caused by cleaning chemicals. Disinfectants are sprayed all over the area, misting the floor where it sits and doesn't get cleaned up. If there was a mat there, it could definitely be from that.
As stated before, I've had good luck on the rust spots on VCT with carpet rust remover.
Could the small spots be burn marks, like a cigarette ash falling on the floor? The ash would lightly burn the surface before it goes out.

May be cheaper just to replace the cheap vinyl. Probably less than her deposit.
That's what I had told her.
She had her brother do it for cheap.

Latest posts