Red Bull Stratos. MISSION TO THE EDGE OF SPACE. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Red Bull Stratos. MISSION TO THE EDGE OF SPACE.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Saw every minute. Watching him step out on that platform was...wow. That dude is a badass.

I'd buy him this shirt if I could:

Gary Getman

Dec 2, 2010
florida
Real Name
gary getman
Business Location
United States
I logged on last week to see the balloon get twisted up by high winds when they were filling it with helium. Good to see that he did it.

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
Do you guys know that a guy did the same thing but back in the early 60,s. his name was Joseph Kittenger
I believe in 1960 he jumped 102,000. These guys are a different breed for sure, NO FEAR!!

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Col. Kittinger was CapCom for the mission, and it was actually 102,800 feet. Interestingly, Kittinger had a longer time in freefall than Baumgartner did, but Baumgartner actually surpassed the speed of sound, which Kittinger did not do.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
More like a nightmare. My N**s pulled up in my stomach when I saw the view off of the capsule.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Actually I think the guy was in trouble in the beggining of his fall. In the video you can see him spinning in circles which indicates he was not in control. For those of you who have never sky dived, when you spin like that long enough it'll cause you to black out and even die.
Was very relived to see him gain control later. So were the guys in mission control, you could see their nervousness as well.
Also, Joseph Kittenger was there too. He's the old white haired guy who was talking to the jumper.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
There was no air for him to be able to control his fall at first. They practiced the technique for the jump extensively so as to avoid the first part of it getting TOO out of control. His suit was programmed so that if he exceeded a certain g-force, a drogue chute would deploy with the intent of helping to control as soon as he got low enough for the air to affect it. That was intended as a backstop only, if he g forces caused him to blackout or something though.

The only real problem they encountered that had them worried was his visor fogging up. It wasn't heating properly, for some reason.

AvidCare

Sep 25, 2011
Kansas
Real Name
Patrick McAnulla
Business Location
United States
Pretty cool! I wonder how much the government paid out for this one?

Decker

Jan 3, 2011
TX
deckerscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Mike Decker
Business Location
United States
That whole thing was bad ass. I spent a good hour watching it. I wonder if he had the chute pulled just a few seconds before Kittenger's record free fall out of respect for the guy and to maintain the record for him. He could have easily gone the 30 seconds or so to break that record as well.

That moment when he stepped out onto the platform and jumped... holy crap still get chills. Thats took balls!

Dbonezny

Oct 13, 2009
Houston Tx
www.carpetcleaninghoustonpro.com
Real Name
Jose
Business Location
United States
Do you guys know that a guy did the same thing but back in the early 60,s. his name was Joseph Kittenger
I believe in 1960 he jumped 102,000. These guys are a different breed for sure, NO FEAR!!

And he did it from a shopping cart basket tied to a bunch of balloons.....and an umbrella.

The amount of technology this guy had to help him was insane.

#notimpressed

Decker

Jan 3, 2011
TX
deckerscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Mike Decker
Business Location
United States
And he did it from a shopping cart basket tied to a bunch of balloons.....and an umbrella.

The amount of technology this guy had to help him was insane.

#notimpressed

o_O

not impressed? He jumped from SPACE. Now I'll give you... Kittenger who did it in 19 freaking 60 was a madman... but still. He broke the speed of sound - over 800 MPH on the way down.

Dbonezny

Oct 13, 2009
Houston Tx
Real Name
Jose
Business Location
United States
nope, not impressed. W/all the technology that was involved in this jump, he should have facetimed the red bull and told a bad joke during the free fall, then my friend, I MIGHT have been impressed......

It was cool, but not impressive. JMHO

davenjai

Dec 16, 2009
Peachtree City, GA
Real Name
David Tassa
Business Location
United States
I wonder if he had the chute pulled just a few seconds before Kittenger's record free fall out of respect for the guy and to maintain the record for him. He could have easily gone the 30 seconds or so to break that record as well.

I have wondered that too. I BELIEVE he pulled the chute release due to the fogging issue. A spin with no point of reference would be impossible to recover from. Anyone know if they have a remote control to release something to wake him up in the event of blacking out?

Dbonezny

Oct 13, 2009
Houston Tx
Real Name
Jose
Business Location
United States
I have wondered that too. I BELIEVE he pulled the chute release due to the fogging issue. A spin with no point of reference would be impossible to recover from. Anyone know if they have a remote control to release something to wake him up in the event of blacking out?

Yes, the chute's were going to open at a pre determined height regardless if he pulled the cord or NOT.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
They can have the chute deployed automatically by connecting it with the altimeter. Set to deploy at a predetermined altitude. This is done as a safety measure in recreational sky diving.

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
After 50' it's all about the same if you ask me.
Thats funny because I was thinking almost the opposite.

I was scared to death getting in line to jump the stratosphere in vegas.

But I almost think this would be easier to stomach with the suit and high tech suppory they have now.

Let me rephrase that. I wouldnt want to jump as high as he did. But abnormally high woulfd be fun.