Recommendation for High Solids VCT Finish | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Recommendation for High Solids VCT Finish

MNistler

Sep 27, 2019
Real Name
Shannon Nistler
I recently acquired a nice accout with 7 local stores. Most of these stores are high-traffic with sand and salt in the winter, never get buffed, and are exposed to automotive fluids and battery acid.

At the recommendation of my supply vendor, I put down Spartan iShine on the first floor. The customer was happy with the job, but I am not. If possible, I would like an option with a decent shine.I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this type of retail setting and are getting better results with other finishes. One of my other reps also recomended iShine or Betco Hard As Nails. Thoughts?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Hard as Nails is about 17% solids, which isn't what I'd consider a high-solids product (by comparison, iShine is 25%). It will be softer, hence easier to work with and easier to buff up but more likely to fail with high-traffic use.

A higher solids finish will be thicker, more difficult to level, and will require longer dry time between coats, but will keep its shine longer. It will also require more effort to re-shine once it dulls.

So a finish with very high solids will be trickier to apply and buff, but last longer; a lower solids finish will be faster, easier, but not as durable.

Finding your happy medium will depend on getting an HONEST answer from your customer as to how often they're going to be willing to have it buffed.

Most of my guys in this area use one of several finishes in the 22-24% range and are happy. NCL, Buckeye, and Spartan are popular brands here.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Buckeye castle guard is one of the top finishes made.
I’d concur with the above post.
I might ask you if your having unreasonable expectations of any floor finish. Really what floor finish comes down to is the level of service it receives. There’s none that is going to stand up to harsh chemicals, sand and salt.
The other thing I’d remind you is that floor Finish’s shine is a great by product of finishing floors. The main purpose is to protect the seams and the tile. The shine is nice but not the purpose.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I shine is one of the shiniest finishes I've ever used. You did something wrong if you aren't happy with the shine. As mamma said it is a wax designed for very regular maintenance. I wouldnt use it in a place that doesent get scrubbed and buffed at least once a month. Preferably once a week. Spartan makes other waxes that are harder, like trendsetter or some others. Diversey, buckeye, and others make some harder finishes too but I think if your worried about shine then you have another problem other than the wax.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
They all make a low maintenance floor finish that holds up better in extreme environments where the customer isn't looking for a first class shine.

The words low maintenance are the key.

As stated above the purpose of the finish is to protect the floor tile.

If they want it maintained at a high level then you'll have to be there every week.

When I used to do this work I would price the job as initial strip and finish $$$ and then top scrub & recoat price $ and then full strip and finish $$.

I would stop in monthly to review the wear and offer my input.

Many times they just want it to look reasonable and will go for top scrub at the 90 day mark and full strip at 12 months with nothing done in between.

If they want a beautiful shine maintained then use a different product and service it weekly.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
To be clear, that's at 3 months, 6 months & 9 months and then at 12 months full strip and finish.
BTW this was for a group of sherwin Williams paint shops with high traffic and paint spills.

We set it at 6 month intervals with full strip every 2 years.