Rebuild old Castex Magnum DV? (200 psi 2-3 vac)

rougew

May 29, 2010
Real Name
Bob Johnson
Business Location
United States
Its too cumbersome to move up stairs as a portable. The tanks are adjacent to each other, and even with a custom made stair climber, it has extreme difficulty, is not impossible to move around stairs that make a 90 degree turn unless a 2nd person helps lift it over the stair rail. The extra length for the tank makes all the difference.

It is a 200 psi, with two 3 stage vacs. Castex is now rolled into Tennant and the only parts they list for the vac is a "7.2D 220VAC, 3 STAGE" or a "7.2D 120VAC 3 STAGE" It can blow circuits for sure, so I think I have the 120VAC. I don't know its lift or CFM. The schematic shows two separate pumps each connected to a "T" tube that enters the dirty tank. So - in parallel?

It still works well. I can use it as a backup, or build it into something else.

Could it be built into or converted to a vac booster? Or a flood pumper? Castex has a similar box model that uses the same vac part (just one) for its MF1001 Flood Pumper. I don't think I'll ever really use a flood pumper though. If a VAC booster, can it be made more powerful? Could a booster version be made to be compatible with a CFX?

This is what it looks like: .... Its in storage so I don't have a picture handy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
I remeber that particular Castex! I had a customer who had something either just like or similar. Their vac motors were 7.2" dia. Lamb Ametek. Don't remember model but there was only a couple . So the specs for the 3 stage of that ere was something like 136"H@O and 94 CFM. So very good and quite powerful. My customer also used a propane heater and ran it out of his van. At that time I had some customers who bought the CA Lightening 2000 with same vacs but a 500 psi pump. Most of my customers who bought the Lightening 2000 also bought 2 HT heaters.

Jan
american kleen pro

rougew

May 29, 2010
Real Name
Bob Johnson
Business Location
United States
How much did the original sell for? Mine was in good condition - I bought it used, maybe less than 75 hours on it. They are on craigslist and ebay from 450 to 3,200. I think the 3,200 one have some extra gadget on it. I paid 300, and got a 25 for 2 inch hose, high pressure line, castex wand, and a custom built stair climber built into the axles. But - still too wide to swing around stairs that turned. Is the wand for this supposed to have three jets?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I used the Magnum DVA (automatic) for several years as a truck mounted electric. I modified the pump using the same motor, but a different Hypro pump so I could get about 350 psi. I used it for a few years with a Paloma water heater and later with a Little Giant 120,000 btu and it worked very well. There are better pumps out now than the one that came with it and the vacuum motors are expensive to replace and difficult to repair. Under heavy use I had to buy at least one new vacuum motor a year on average. I went to several vacuum shops and each one quoted about 90.00 just to repair these 7.2 inch motors and gave no guarantee so I always opted to replace rather than repair them. I found the Hypro pump on them to be a little problematic, but they can be repaired.

As far as the usability of the machine, it works pretty good. I did hose runs of 150 ft. w/o a problem and did some as far as 200 ft. with some loss of suction, but still got decent recovery even at that distance. Since my average hose runs are 100 ft. and I rarely go over 150 ft. in my area the machine was sufficient. As a portable, it is quite heavy, but if you can get it inside you can clean just about any house w/o moving it around too much including going up to the second floor. I mounted it in a van with a heater and virtually never took it out.

I don't know about the idea of using it as a flood pumper. I'm doubtful that would work too well. I would suggest using it as a portable and get some extra vacuum and solution hoses rather than try and drag it upstairs. 100 ft. of each (two 50 ft.) should be plenty.

rougew

May 29, 2010
Real Name
Bob Johnson
Business Location
United States
If 150 feet is a good run, then, perhaps I do not need a new system? I have been under the assumption that I needed to use a much shorted distance. Been looking at a RV, cfx and dock. The CFX for the portability. My business model is for cleaning services and I offer carpet on the side, and I am a perfectionist, and always believed I needed the machine upstairs to clean upstairs well, because; why would anyone have a truckmount then?. If all I need are new longer hoses, that changes things.

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
Bob, the Castex I was familar with also had the Paloma propane setup. I believe it was 120,000 BTUs. Really you don't need that much but it was at one point called by Castex an electronic truckmount. This was something like back in the 1980s and 90s. If this machine is working right you have a very nice system to work with. You may want to get a heater for it. Or you may want to use a generator and run it from a truck. All kinds of possibilities.

Best wishes
Jan
american kleen pro

rougew

May 29, 2010
Real Name
Bob Johnson
Business Location
United States
Are these 2-3 stage vac's that good, or the Castec vac's that good? In my notes when I had it checked, I wrote 3-19-98. That date was years before I bought this, so I think I got that date from the maintenance guys as the build date. (when I bought it used, I took it to a repair shop to check seals and pumps).

Seems odd that if 2-3's could do that - manufacturers would promote that sort of use.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
That machine was built for longer hose runs. It can be stationary in a home or business and just run as long a hose as you need to accomplish a particular job. Be sure to watch out for foam and keep defoamer handy!!! If you notice a loss of suction at the wand it is more often than not because foam has built up in the machine and in the hoses. People who use spray and vac products like Woolite or use lots of Resolve or even shampoos are going to cause problems if you don't watch out for it. I would also highly recommend getting some Chemspec Crystal Defoamer for really heavy foam problems. Woolite can fill your machine full of foam faster than you can say scat and so can Resolve and many other such products.

Also, if you must use an extension cord be sure not to go cheap on them. Trust me when I say they are important. I used a 10 gauge cord on the line that had the vacuum and pump motors (near 20 amps on that line). Never put less than a 12 gauge on it. NEVER!!! A 12 gauge is fine on the line that has only the single vacuum motor which pulls about 13 amps.

If you go into a typical two story house you should be able to station the machine downstairs and run your hoses upstairs w/o much problem other than having to stop to dump and fill ever once in a while. My machine was set up with auto fill and auto pump out as well as chemical injection so I didn't have to stop at all no matter how big the job was. For it's time I think the Castex was a pretty decent machine, but not the easiest to work on.

I liked to set my hoses up with 50 ft. for the first hose and then two 25 foot hoses for versatility. I could use only 25 feet if needed or 50, 75, or 100, etc. and take out what I wasn't using as I was working.

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
The stock vac motors that came with the Castex DVA were very good. At that time they were Lambs best 3 stages . At least the ones that
I have seen used a 3 stage that has been in production since 1978! I am pretty sure they (Lamb Ametek)still manufacture that motor!
That has to say something positive about those motors. As I posted before they were rated 134H2O 94-96CFM. That is plenty of vacuum
to run of a van.

Jan
american kleen pro

Feb 23, 2012
Colorado
Real Name
Travis Hart
Business Location
United States
I have and use this machine right now. It is what got me started and has worked very well. Came across it with less than 100 hours use. I'm in the market for a new portable now. I will use this one as a backup. Unfortunately, my vehicle doesn't allow very much room, so I am limited on what I can get. Thinking about a mytee ltd3. I would take a Jaguar 6.6 in a heartbeat but it won't fit in my SUV!!! :(

Latest posts