Reasons not to clean carpets yourself...(Rug Doctor, Bissel, etc)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Apr 4, 2010
Illinois
www.cleanimagecarpetcare.com
Real Name
Phillip Newell
Business Location
United States
I want to put an article up on my website that lists reasons for a homeowner to avoid cleaning his/her own carpet. I believe our biggest competition is the DYI crowd (of which I belong :) )

What would be some good reasons to include?

johnny916

Sep 26, 2010
CA
Real Name
John A
Business Location
United States
That Rug Doctor is a joke.. Most people just put detergent in it and clean way leaving the carpets wet and still soiled.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
1. high residue shampoo leaves carpet crunchy and resoils quickly
2. No heat - no clean
3. Poor suction - poor cleaning and dry times

You could show people they aren't saving much post the cost to rent...the cost of chemicals...and their time and relate it to one room of carpet, you may even look cheaper at that point....obviously the price per room goes down as more rooms are done but I would leave that to them to figure out.

Jul 25, 2008
southwest missouri
Real Name
cheyne brokate
Here are some of the things I would say in an article like that (Guess I should type one up too for my site lol):

Professional Carpet Cleaners Save Money in both the Short AND Long Term (and here's why!)

A large percentage of renters lose out on recovering some or all of their deposit due to unacceptable carpet cleaning. Often times, renters (or homeowners) will either not clean or attempt to rent a machine, such as a Rug Doctor in an attempt to clean the carpets themselves. While this may seem like an effective way to save some money, often times it ends up costing more time, money and frustration because renting machines such as those, are often ineffective at properly cleaning the carpets. I want to inform those considering that option about a couple of things to take into consideration:

The first thing to understand is what is required to properly clean a carpet. You need more than one of the following to properly clean carpets:

1.) Heat
2.) Agitation
3.) Cleaning Agents (often several different kinds if there are spots and spills)

Renting machines, such as the Rug Doctor, really only provide #3 with some moisture. This is effective for wetting the carpets, but often leads to quicker re-soiling and spots and spills to stay right where they are at.

Trusted Professionals, such as All Star Carpet Care (or your company if you prefer), will use all 3 of the steps above with extremely high heat (you may have heard the term "Steam-Cleaning"), agitation (various methods throughout the cleaning process) and specialty cleaning agents (specific to your carpet needs) when cleaning your carpets.

If you think I'm biased, you can view many videos such as this one: Rug Doctor VS Truckmount Test Video, that SHOW the difference.

In the end, you will save both time AND money by hiring a professional to properly clean your carpets the first time around. Property managers understand the difference and always bring in professional companies to truly clean the carpets for their new tenants. If you are looking to save money, give All Star Carpet Care a call at (417) 243-0505 and they will work you up a competitive quote for professional results that will leave everyone happy.

Alright, that's about how my article is going to go. Hope that helps!

May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
I actually took the opposite direction and gave tips on how homeowners can maintain the home carpet cleaner better.

They know the little cleaner is not same as a central vac system powered by a truck, not my competition.
Different way of looking at it

prcarpet

Feb 11, 2010
Clarksville, TN
Real Name
Chris Biggs
Business Location
United States
Here are some of the things I would say in an article like that (Guess I should type one up too for my site lol):

Professional Carpet Cleaners Save Money in both the Short AND Long Term (and here's why!)

A large percentage of renters lose out on recovering some or all of their deposit due to unacceptable carpet cleaning. Often times, renters (or homeowners) will either not clean or attempt to rent a machine, such as a Rug Doctor in an attempt to clean the carpets themselves. While this may seem like an effective way to save some money, often times it ends up costing more time, money and frustration because renting machines such as those, are often ineffective at properly cleaning the carpets. I want to inform those considering that option about a couple of things to take into consideration:

The first thing to understand is what is required to properly clean a carpet. You need more than one of the following to properly clean carpets:

1.) Heat
2.) Agitation
3.) Cleaning Agents (often several different kinds if there are spots and spills)

Renting machines, such as the Rug Doctor, really only provide #3 with some moisture. This is effective for wetting the carpets, but often leads to quicker re-soiling and spots and spills to stay right where they are at.

Trusted Professionals, such as All Star Carpet Care (or your company if you prefer), will use all 3 of the steps above with extremely high heat (you may have heard the term "Steam-Cleaning"), agitation (various methods throughout the cleaning process) and specialty cleaning agents (specific to your carpet needs) when cleaning your carpets.

If you think I'm biased, you can view many videos such as this one: Rug Doctor VS Truckmount Test Video, that SHOW the difference.

In the end, you will save both time AND money by hiring a professional to properly clean your carpets the first time around. Property managers understand the difference and always bring in professional companies to truly clean the carpets for their new tenants. If you are looking to save money, give All Star Carpet Care a call at (417) 243-0505 and they will work you up a competitive quote for professional results that will leave everyone happy.

Alright, that's about how my article is going to go. Hope that helps!
I'm lazy can I just copy this and put my business name and number on it??? LoL.

matt7

Feb 16, 2011
Alberta
Real Name
Matthew Stephenson
Business Location
United States
I cleaned a town house up the other day, there was a round spot of hard crusty white stuff that looked like plaster on the carpet, it was about 8" across. When I did the walk through with the custy I asked him if that spot was plaster, he said no he had tried to clean up a spot with some Rug Doctor spotter! Had a few other custy's that had really bad wicking from Rug Doctors and even one that said she had to change her carpets after using one because it had got so wet it grew mold. I seen the floor boards in a commercial building warp badly from a Rug Doctor being used on CGD and it also had a huge brown wick mark about 6' across, I have a pic of the RD sitting in the middle of this wick mark and keep it in the van so I can wipe it out whenever a custy starts to talk about a RD!

May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
If you have kids, especially with pets, it is ridiculous to think people should call us up on every accident. Thats like daily, LOL.

My friend has a kirby shampooer and still hires us 1x year to do a deep cleaning, they use the kirby for the endless day to day spills that come from 4 kids.
Dont get this one, sorry.

Apr 7, 2009
Central PA (814) Area Code
Real Name
Chad Smith & Jennifer Fogleman
Business Location
United States
Kinda seems like a waste of time cause usually the ones that DIY are the ones that don't have enough money to pay a professional and think you cost way too much. Same as ones that use a Bissel or Hoover and think they did an awesome job and you can't tell them otherwise. We like to stay away from these kinds of customers and target the higher end ones.