Real or Marketing bull?

Discussion in 'Ask Our Chemist!' started by Smtwn janitorial, May 30, 2017.

1. Smtwn janitorial

Smtwn janitorial Active Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I am shopping for a new auto scrubber. One of the machines Im looking at has this "no chemical" water clean technology. It adds about $1300 to the cost of the scrubber. I would try to explain it but I would just screw it up, so here is the link.

http://www.tennantco.com/am-en/equipment/Innovations/Innovations/ec-h2o-nanoclean

Is this something that really works? The sales rep said this has been working for over 10 years in their machines and he has demod it hundreds of times with many impressed customers. Im skeptical. Im asking those on here who are smarter than me, is this legit? I clean these floors twice per week(VCT) and they arn't heavily soiled so I don't need really strong chemicals typically.
    Scott? Mama? SSA?
    Thanks guys and gals.

2. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +24,722 / 56 / -0
    I'd be skeptical too.

Just the other day I was cleaning some tile, we opened the back door and there was a strip under the door which had not been presprayed. The difference was amazing. I put down some prespray and went over it again and it cleaned right up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,027 / 0 / -0

This issue came up before, I'll have to necro the thread, lol. I am in the skeptical camp, only because there's a lot of catch phrases like "innovative", "pure", and "empowered" but virtually NO hard facts on what, exactly, is happening in these machines. I understand the need for 'trade secrets' in this industry, but I'm so gun-shy about snake-oil nowadays that if a company isn't 100% up-front about why what they're doing works, I don't believe in it.

4. ACP

ACP Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Male
    Washington
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 6 / -0
    Theres a few companies in my area that market the "magic water"

some claim they invented it, which I think is taking it too far. Deionized water was invented a long long time ago.

I can see how it will rinse better, but still these companies use pre spray so its obviously not that great

5. Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I cant see it working so much in carpet cleaning. Hard floors seem easier to clean off than carpet fibers. He said the carpet cleaning companies that advertise similar products use something like "single stream" technology. They turn the water either on the acid side or the nuetral side. This uses "dual stream" (or something like that) technology to use separate something or other into some acidic and some neutral (particles or whatever they are). He was less of a salesman than most, and he tried to actually explain it better, Im just not much of a chemist.
    He also said the new units have a built in water softener to make the other part of the system last longer. It avoids buildup.

6. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Kalispell, MT
    Ratings:
    +602 / 1 / -0
    I've never heard of it. I'd bet in a few years they won't make it any more, and people who have bought into them will be bypassing the system to run it like a normal machine.

7. Pinosan

Premium VIP

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Owner/operator Carpet cleaning Tech
    California
    Ratings:
    +7,747 / 42 / -0
    I'm getting a demo sometime this week. I'll let you know what I think. so far I have tried two other waters to avoid using pre-sprays those don't impress me. Will se about this one.

8. Ken Raddon

Ken Raddon Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    UT
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 8 / -0
    There's this little thing called "The Guarantee." Tell him to put up or shut up. If you can't get a real world demo i.e. on one of your jobs then tell him to pound sand. That should be followed up by a 2, 3 or even a 4 week buy back guarantee.

Think about it if you were selling that machine and was unwilling to show up on a job or two maybe even three to demo it in the real world then why even show up at all.

Thirdly, what about some referrals? Can you call some of his current customers?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pinosan

Premium VIP

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    California
    Ratings:
    +7,747 / 42 / -0
    I did just that with all of them. only one was willing to send me a few cases of the product their machine will produce for me to test in many different scenarios. Yes you heard right not ounces not one gallon three cases of the main product and one case of the rinse product.

I'm satisfied with the results just satisfied. I'm thinking everyday on how I will make it work to my liking then I will decide if I should buy the beast or not.

Another company I asked if they would do a lease to buy on the machine for a couple of months for me to try it. the guy said Sure no problem let me call you in a few minutes will set this up. it's been a month since he said that. I mean, I don't know long are his minutes but to me are only 60 seconds not 60 days lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +26,262 / 83 / -0
    Magic water makes me pee.

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I tend to be very skeptical of things like that. Im constantly making fun of my freinds that are eco mental peace loving organic eating chemical free vegan sandal wearing hippies. I don't think any of dump our waste oil out in our front lawn, but using chems to make our houses and jobs clean is necessary.
    I could see this water thing working because the amount of nuetral floor cleaner thats in 40-50 gal of scrubber water is very little. And that water is only dwelling and working for about 1-2 seconds. The water itself does most of the cleaning on VCT, unlike carpet.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pinosan

Premium VIP

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    California
    Ratings:
    +7,747 / 42 / -0
    same here. But the way i see it, it does not matter what I think nor what other cleaners think about anything that can help you be "different".
    chemdry has been doing this for a long time and zerorez too. Are they any better than any of our products? I sincerely doubt it and i dare to say I could prove it . But the mid 30 year old mother of a toddler believes they are and she is willing to pay a little more for their service and that is what matters.

Marketing wise it helps no doubt

• Like Like x 1