rates just went up (again)

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
so I got a quote on installing some equipment in a van from my regular TM dealer. Labor was $99 per hour! So I go check out the invoice last April when they did my annual machine maintenance and Labor was $89 per hour. Just a heads up!

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Yesterdays prices at todays wages.
They should only be charging $19 per hour with a 2 hr min. Extended vans count as 2. Questions answered during install FREE. If you hang around in shop $25 extra.
It's still cheaper than CC rates.

Reactions: sbsscn

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Wow,

My distributor is at $80 per hour, that why I love them!

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
That’s why I love my ETM that never needs service....... just kidding TM guys

• Haha
Reactions: Fedri

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
It should go up. As your rates should of went up. Insurance went up. Everything goes up. Especially at the turn of the year.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
That’s why I love my ETM that never needs service....... just kidding TM guys
You would be absolutely right on the money, but I doubt that your setup counts as a ETM. I guess, there is no exact definition of what setup should look like , or how it should perform, but if your able to roll your hoses in great distance( 200-250') and get satisfactory pressure and suction, ability to continuously feed the water and get APO dumping or having a waste tank on board, you got yourself ETM. Otherwise, you have a great and powerful portable unit. Funny thing, whenever I came to my favorite distributor with my Escape , most of the time I got same greating; We'll service you when you gonna show up with a real truckmount. I did, and I had to come up with about $ 2K for an installation and initial setup of the truckmount.
Nature of the business...
Obviously, I'll be maintaining the unit from that point on my own.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
auto shop standard rate here is $128/hr, jon don charges around $90 but we have only ever had them install a fuel tap.... we do all the TM service ourselves

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
You would be absolutely right on the money, but I doubt that your setup counts as a ETM. I guess, there is no exact definition of what setup should look like , or how it should perform, but if your able to roll your hoses in great distance( 200-250') and get satisfactory pressure and suction, ability to continuously feed the water and get APO dumping or having a waste tank on board, you got yourself ETM. Otherwise, you have a great and powerful portable unit. Funny thing, whenever I came to my favorite distributor with my Escape , most of the time I got same greating; We'll service you when you gonna show up with a real truckmount. I did, and I had to come up with about $ 2K for an installation and initial setup of the truckmount.
Nature of the business...
Obviously, I'll be maintaining the unit from that point on my own.
Depends somewhat on where you're at and how long your average run is. I worked for several years with a machine that was advertised as an ETM by Castex with auto fill and chemical metering. The machine did do what it was advertised for pretty well. I could go up to 150 ft. w/o a problem. At least 99% of my jobs were well under that with most being in the 100 to 125 ft. range. They still are in that range average to this day.

Boosters were unavailable back then, but with one of those, It would be easy to go further. My machine never came out of the van except for repairs the whole time I used it. I used a Little Giant 120,000 btu for my heat so excellent and constant heat at the wand. Really heat was better than with my current heat exchange TM. I do keep a portable for very occasional use for places I can't get to with my TM. The last time I had to do that it wouldn't have mattered if I had an Everest 650 and 400 ft. of hose. It simply couldn't be done with a TM period. Getting a generator back then was far more difficult and expensive than it is today. After 3 years I ditched it and bought my first gas TM. A good generator would no doubt have solved some of the problems I had back then.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Our rate is $85, and it was VERY difficult for us to make the decision to raise it to that. But with rates all around us being even higher, we couldn't justify asking our mechanic to work for less than everyone else. He's one of those rare wrench-monkeys that has a sense of humor, plus he's got two teenagers (one boy, one girl) - and they get expensive!

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Depends somewhat on where you're at and how long your average run is. I worked for several years with a machine that was advertised as an ETM by Castex with auto fill and chemical metering. The machine did do what it was advertised for pretty well. I could go up to 150 ft. w/o a problem. At least 99% of my jobs were well under that with most being in the 100 to 125 ft. range. They still are in that range average to this day.

Boosters were unavailable back then, but with one of those, It would be easy to go further. My machine never came out of the van except for repairs the whole time I used it. I used a Little Giant 120,000 btu for my heat so excellent and constant heat at the wand. Really heat was better than with my current heat exchange TM. I do keep a portable for very occasional use for places I can't get to with my TM. The last time I had to do that it wouldn't have mattered if I had an Everest 650 and 400 ft. of hose. It simply couldn't be done with a TM period. Getting a generator back then was far more difficult and expensive than it is today. After 3 years I ditched it and bought my first gas TM. A good generator would no doubt have solved some of the problems I had back then.
Were the Castex tanks made of fiberglass? I believe so, I got one by coincidence when I was buying Astro van years ago. Unit was bright red and just like you said Apo, direct feed and all that. I bet it was at least 30 years old if not older, but the exterior was in the great shape, not so much scratches. Unfortunately wiring was dated, only 2 vacs were working, but I won't forget that sense of true workmanship, old school honest type. It was quite bulky and on the heavy side. I regret that I let it go. Fully restored could be sitting in museum... I got $600 for this antique...can you imagine similar value being pulled out of nowadays units after 30 some years ? I don't think so....
In that spirit, my 16 years old Mytee Speedster 1005 HV is only half way trough..

Reactions: wandwizard

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Were the Castex tanks made of fiberglass? I believe so, I got one by coincidence when I was buying Astro van years ago. Unit was bright red and just like you said Apo, direct feed and all that. I bet it was at least 30 years old if not older, but the exterior was in the great shape, not so much scratches. Unfortunately wiring was dated, only 2 vacs were working, but I won't forget that sense of true workmanship, old school honest type. It was quite bulky and on the heavy side. I regret that I let it go. Fully restored could be sitting in museum... I got $600 for this antique...can you imagine similar value being pulled out of nowadays units after 30 some years ? I don't think so....
In that spirit, my 16 years old Mytee Speedster 1005 HV is only half way trough..
Yes, they were fiberglass. Easy to change out the vac motors, but a bit difficult to get to the pump and apo pump which was simply a utility type pump. You had to remove a lot of screws and remove the entire base to get to the pump motors so not too repair friendly. The thing weighed about 150 lbs. empty. They did sell an optional transport dolly that could be permanently attached to it for an extra 200. There were times I wished I'd sprung for it too. I still have mine although it would be quite a bit of work and money to get it all running again right. Right now I used a Prospector made by the same company I think that produced the Castex. It uses the exact same type of vacuum motor and solution pump the old Castex DVA had in it. I rarely need it.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
85-95$ is about right....
if your TM mechanic knows what he is doing and can diagnose it...it can save you a lot of downtime....
unless he is stacked up.....

i have 2 auto mechanics....1 is the best in the county and charges double.....

but I can tell you he saves me $$$$$....

because he can diagnose around 90% correctly.....
other guy replaces things that may and may not need replaced or does an inadequate job and it doesnt always work correctly...
example...engine, air conditioning......

best to pay for the best and have less down time.....

or get a TM you can work on yourself.....

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I posted this for two reasons.

1. to let people know that there may be a labor rate increase when they have work done.
  2. more importantly that these are LABOR rates. We as professional cleaners bring high cost equipment to a customers house (travel to and from/gas) then perform LABOR and use supplies. Let that sink in for a minute.
So next time you go to Mrs. Jones house and get $200 for cleaning her carpet from 8am to 10am realize that you the $100 per hour isnt just LABOR. you have to figure in an amortized amount for your equipment, supplies, gas, insurance, etc.

Just putting things in perspective...