Ranking #1 Case Study

Discussion in 'Local Internet Marketing SEO' started by ballin, Sep 7, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. ballin

ballin New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm new to this forum (Disregard my reg date haha) but have been doing SEO for years, I've recently taken a site to #1 for a water damage term in a city with a population greater than 500K with roughly 100 searches. I plan on documenting the steps I took to get it there if there is any interest.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tres

tres Active Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    If you give any new/relevant information I'll be shocked. Wait for the pitch in 3, 2, 1......

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. ballin

ballin New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here it goes..I know SEO can be challenging and often times things seem completely random.

I bought and purchased this domain in 7/2014 as a PMD (partial match domain) Citywaterpro.com - not the actual domain but very similar since I want to keep this site/client hidden for now. A lot has changed in 2014 but this domain still ranks.

Installed wordpress: used the plugin Yoast SEO to help with configuring title/meta tags

Pages: Created initial pages: Home (targeting our main keyword), Contact and 2 water damage pages which linked back to the home page to create topical relevance. 500+ articles on each page except the contact page.

Link Building: I started my initial linkbuilding with some relevant blog commenting 15-20 and directories
    Usually I would recommend starting off your linkbuilding with some business citations (Manta, Yelp, Superpages, etc..) and social properties, but since this wasn't a real business with an address & phone at the time I skipped this step.
    Video: I got a cheaply made video created and uploaded to Youtube with a link back to my site.
    Outreached and got a few relavent links through guestposting/sponsored posting.

It initially took 4-4.5 months to get to page 1 and from there I was hovering around positions #10-#15.

After I hit the bottom of page 1, I had a large site that I was working on so this project was pretty much abandoned. Over the next year or 2 it bounced in and out of page one, sometimes dropping completely from the SERPs (search engine rank positions).

I just started again a few months ago as a goal to take this to #1; I got an office address to use and added Schema markup to the site, here's what I used to generate it https://hallanalysis.com/json-ld-generator/

Added more backlinks, since the last few years, I have amassed a small arsenal of relevant back-links. Used about 15 backlinks to the homepage, saw these links kick in 5-6 weeks later.

Added some business citations, 2 additional nearby city landing pages one with population less than 100k the other over 200k, did a press release to one of the city landing page. Just a few days ago city landing page 1 has moved up to page one for it's water damage keywords.

Any questions? feel free to ask...

Ranking graph is attached below (positions are off due to maps listing being counted so 4 is actaully 1, 5 is 2, etc..)

Attached Files: