Rage Overdumping Water to Waste Tank | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Rage Overdumping Water to Waste Tank

Jun

Mar 27, 2014
Real Name
John Rasing
Hello Everyone,
I have this truckmount Rage 178. It keeps dumping water into my waste tank eventhough I closed the bypass valve.It was not like this before I could only clean 6 rooms and 60 gallons of water almost empty. It was not like this before. I looked inside the vacuum inlet and It was continuesly spraying. When I open the bypass valve, it sprayed more. But it should not be like this. Do you think the bypass valve needs replacement or solinoid valve. Thank you!

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I would guess the first step is replacing the valve

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Hello Everyone,
I have this truckmount Rage 178. It keeps dumping water into my waste tank eventhough I closed the bypass valve.It was not like this before I could only clean 6 rooms and 60 gallons of water almost empty. It was not like this before. I looked inside the vacuum inlet and It was continuesly spraying. When I open the bypass valve, it sprayed more. But it should not be like this. Do you think the bypass valve needs replacement or solinoid valve. Thank you!
I'm not familiar with your machine, but I noticed you said that when you opened the bypass valve "it sprayed more", but that it was already spraying continuously with the bypass closed. I would suspect the solenoid has a problem. They can get some debris in them and get stuck open or the 12 volt coil can go out on them which leaves them in the open position on certain valves. To me, that sounds like what is going on. When it's left completely open it can fill your waste tank pretty quick. On my machine I would be lucky to be able to finish one room before my tank is full. The 12 volt solenoid can be checked with a multi-meter if you're handy with one of those. On my machine I lose the ability to make temperature adjustment when mine goes out and I lose a lot of my heat.

Reactions: Jun

Jun

Mar 27, 2014
Real Name
John Rasing
I'm not familiar with your machine, but I noticed you said that when you opened the bypass valve "it sprayed more", but that it was already spraying continuously with the bypass closed. I would suspect the solenoid has a problem. They can get some debris in them and get stuck open or the 12 volt coil can go out on them which leaves them in the open position on certain valves. To me, that sounds like what is going on. When it's left completely open it can fill your waste tank pretty quick. On my machine I would be lucky to be able to finish one room before my tank is full. The 12 volt solenoid can be checked with a multi-meter if you're handy with one of those. On my machine I lose the ability to make temperature adjustment when mine goes out and I lose a lot of my heat.
How to open this solenoid. I took off the top. Ty

Attachments

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
How to open this solenoid. I took off the top. Ty
I can't help you with that one. Perhaps @Todd the Cleaner can help or someone who knows that particular solenoid can help. I think some solenoids are not rebuildable, but I would think there would be a way to pull it out and clean it. I'm really not sure on that one. One thing I can tell you though is I would search online for that model of solenoid. Chances are you will pay way too much for it if you buy from a TM dealer. There are likely a number of places online that carry it. Also, if it does turn out to be a bad coil, in some cases you can just replace that part. The solenoid I use is made by Dema and is completely rebuildable. Technically, it could last a life time, with only occasional parts replacements. Yours may be a different story.

Btw, if you do a search for your model solenoid you should be able to find a parts diagram that shows how it's put to together. I could not have repaired mine w/o that.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

Jun

Mar 27, 2014
Real Name
John Rasing
Thank you for your help.!! So I used vinegar to clear the pipes but it didn't fix the problem. I was about to order the tool that todd mentioned but I would like to test it first. My mechanic said, buy the power tester, but I went to the other mechanic, he looked at it and he desconnected one of the wires of the solenoid and run the machine. The water stopped/bypassing into a vacuum outlet to wastetank. It means heat sensor is broken. So replaced the heat sensor which it is cheaper than solenoid valve. It worked great! It just the heat sensor cost me $53.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Thank you for your help.!! So I used vinegar to clear the pipes but it didn't fix the problem. I was about to order the tool that todd mentioned but I would like to test it first. My mechanic said, buy the power tester, but I went to the other mechanic, he looked at it and he desconnected one of the wires of the solenoid and run the machine. The water stopped/bypassing into a vacuum outlet to wastetank. It means heat sensor is broken. So replaced the heat sensor which it is cheaper than solenoid valve. It worked great! It just the heat sensor cost me $53.
Glad you got it fixed and fairly cheaply. Once my temp sensor actually moved out of it's thermal well and I am pretty sure it was dumping water till I figured that out. I think it kept the solenoid open when it should have been closed. I fixed it back in place so it couldn't come out and no problems since. I've had hard water scale get in the solenoid maybe a few times and simply taking it out and cleaning it solved the problem. Once I just went ahead and used Matrix TM descaler on my machine knowing it would be going through the solenoid too and that solved it. The best thing though is using a water softener. I rarely have to descale my machine and it's pretty rare I ever have a problem with the solenoid anymore. I don't know if they sell repair kits for your solenoid, but I keep some on hand just in case. It's far cheaper than replacing the whole solenoid.

Dougie "fresh-clean"

Oct 10, 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Doug Nelson
Business Location
United States
I have about 3,600 hours on my rage (my profile pic was a 1,000 hour celebration photo). Continuous bypass is a common issue for me, really the only issue. I've have the temp sensor go out once. I clean out the solenoid valve as an early step in troubleshooting and usually fixes it. I use an awl and tap with a hammer to open the valve. Couldn't find a tool like Todd posed a link for, I should get one now. I've had to replace the bypass valve a couple times... the second time I ordered an all stainless valve directly from Swagelok and I will never have that problem again. I recommend replacing any valve with stainless when the brass gives out. I now have a stainless valve on my wand as well.

King777

Jun 1, 2013
Real Name
Brent King
I'm having the same problem on my rage. I replaced the bypass valve and water still comes out when its closed. Where is the heat sensor located on the machine?

King777

Jun 1, 2013
Real Name
Brent King
Why would the bypass valve still allow water through if the solenoid is behind it? It doesn't seem to make sense. Does the bypass valve not completely close by design?

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Why would the bypass valve still allow water through if the solenoid is behind it? It doesn't seem to make sense. Does the bypass valve not completely close by design?
it is the oposite of your question. the solenoid opens and it allows the valve to dump the water. I would dare to say ( morelikely wrong ) that the valve is always open and the one that controls the water flow is the solenoid. Now the solenoid gets activated by the heat sensor. when the heat sensors gets the temperature that its been set for, It will send the signal to the solenoid to open so cold water enters and the temperature decreases. So every time you have that same issue you need to troubleshoot following the line of command sensor first solenoid second and valve last.

cheers
sell your TM for scrap and get something better. scientific sapphire technology and designed is a complete failure

King777

Jun 1, 2013
Real Name
Brent King
Got it fixed. I cleaned out the solenoid valve and now it doesn't leak.