Quick question about mildew smell | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Quick question about mildew smell

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
I have a cgd that had a water leak and now it has a mildew smell. Can I just do vlm and if so what chemical?
If with the client now is why I’m not using the search bar. Thanks in advance.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
That's really not enough information. I think if you're a newbie to this, you would be better off telling them, "Here's what I can do as a first option, if this doesn't work we can escalate to XYZ"

If it was me, I'd VLM with something like Encapuclean DS, perhaps a Peroxide booster.

But honestly HWE would be best, with some sort of Odor removing product like Microban etc. Mildew smell is a fungus.

Reactions: Bob the floor guy

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
That's really not enough information. I think if you're a newbie to this, you would be better off telling them, "Here's what I can do as a first option, if this doesn't work we can escalate to XYZ"

If it was me, I'd VLM with something like Encapuclean DS, perhaps a Peroxide booster.

But honestly HWE would be best, with some sort of Odor removing product like Microban etc. Mildew smell is a fungus.
Thanks for the quick reply, that is exactly what I told them. Just wasn’t sure if vlm would do it.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I did church basement that had outdoor water from rain. They dried or attempted drying it in their own. Asked me to clean it. I went in it stunk. I told them its still wet going on 2 weeks now. Rip it up. They insisted i try cleaning it. Ok no promises. I made them scrounge up as many dehumidifiers as the circuits could handle. I did rinse and extract. Plus sprayed microban afterwards. I came back a week later. Odor was gone. Carpets were dry. Dehu's had been being emptied and running non stop. For the water stain that remained i used hydrogen peroxide encap with cotton bonnets.

With all that said. I made it very well known no promises and i strongly suggested rip out replace. Im not liable.

Reactions: Bob the floor guy

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States

If you go the VLM route then at least use Encapuclean O2. It would be better for mildew.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
If there is an odor then there is moisture present. Ventilation (or perhaps an air filtration device) to remove existing odor molecules in the air along with steps to dry out the source of the odor will be needed along with the cleaning.

Encap cleaning should work fine for the appearance of the carpet, but it does not address the odor.