Questions on how to handle being sub contacting company.

Maninpc

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Real Name
dave carella
Business Location
United States
Hello,
I received a email from a national cleaning company today. They would like my company to place a bid for cleaning several establishment for another company they have an account with in my area . Im looking at @ 5k for this job.
Usually I'm reluctant to sub contract, but things have slowed down.
My question is this. How can I protect my company from doing the work and not being paid.
Also, I know that some companies just want to know what the going rates are and act like they want to hire a company.
Any advice?
Thanks

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
It could end up being great for both of you. I would make sure that both parties understand exactly what the agreement is. Get it in writing after you agree on percentages and you should be doing great. You should be getting no less than 70% but I would shoot for 80%.

aspenedelen

Premium VIP
Mar 21, 2006
www.louiescarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Anthony Edelen
Business Location
United States
What is the national cleaning company name? I got a call from a company based out of Chicago for very similar work (Napa Auto parts) cleaning but their rates were disgustingly low. I negotiated a 100% increase rates but they wouldn't pay for the additional mileage that it would take to get to the jobsite.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I have been contacted from a national company also about doing jobs, I have done a few for them. For the most part they already have a price they say they pay and it is less than 50% of what I would normally charge. The few that I have done I have told them that I needed a better price and they agreed but I have had more that just was not worth doing.

aspenedelen

Premium VIP
Mar 21, 2006
www.louiescarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Anthony Edelen
Business Location
United States
I agree with Robo once you get things finalized make sure everything is writing and black and white. You need to make sure you know everything that is expected from you in regards to schedule, products (do you supply or will company supply), amount of time for each job, hours that can be worked, what happens if a day you need to do some work lands on a holiday like Christmas or Thanksgiving. What happens if you get into the job and find it is just a horrible mess and you want out. Are there any early out fees that you will be required to pay to get out of the contract or can you walk at anytime?

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
The less they want to regulate you the better. You should be able to use whatever chems you want and charge your normal rate. You will be giving them a percentage of the rate but its not discounted way down from the beginning. You will end up working yourself and your equipment to the ground with nothing to show for it.

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
I have gotten a couple of calls as well. One wanted me to do various payless stores for less than a profit and the other was a scam that wants you to sub contract for them with the promise of a ton of work.. just gotta hand over your CC number to do a background check.