Question to those with TM and porty | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Question to those with TM and porty

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
There are a few buildings that I clean apts in that might be better done (quicker, not better perhaps) with a portable. I am going to look at a used Mytee LTD 5.
I have read a couple of threads concerning Mytee about how good or bad they are and this is less about that and more about how long it takes to set up compared to a TM. for instance, one of the buildings has a fence down one side and I had to do a fourth floor unit last week (not the first time). We had gone over it with the OP machine but it just would not do a great job so the manager wanted us to use the tm.

So my question, how long to set up the Mytee?

I had to park, push the hose through the fence. Hop the fence and run up stairs with the wand and rope. Drop and tie off the rope, run down, tie off the hoses, hop the fence, start the tm, hop the fence, run back upstairs. Pull the hoses, tie them off then rinse the carpet and do the reverse of set up.
In all I was about 40 minutes doing a ten minute rinse.

Is it worth the 2k asked for this used machine? There are several other buildings I dont currently service that I could likely start doing with this machine so keeping it busy is not likely an issue. I have been told it has auto pump in/out.

Thanks!

EDIT And in winter I couldnt do those units with the TM anyway, just too cold and the hose run too long to prevent freezing.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I would say the TM is a much easier setup for most circumstances but it sounds like you have the need of a good portable. I have had some locations that have been a fairly quick and easy setup with the portable and others that are a pain. Probably average 20 minutes for set up time and about the same to put everything away.

Buster123

Jan 19, 2009
Gainesville Va
Real Name
Joe Bouch
Business Location
United States
I clean 99.9% of the time with a my TM. I do use my porty for high rise condos and out of reach jobs. With my assistant, we can clean with the portable almost as fast as using the TM. I have a $225 minimum for use of the portable. I don't have trouble charging that amount because the customer understands all the extra work that is associated with it. I would definitely recommend coughing up the 2k. It will pay for itself a hundred times over.

Reactions: Suction Junkie

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I ended up offering him a price on the porty which he refused but he will revisit it if he still hasnt sold it when he is ready to move to Belize.
I did buy two 19 inch Cimex machines, a whole bunch of encap product and pads/brushes for the cimex's and a Prochem stair tool from the same person though, so I am feeling pretty good right now.
Thanks for your input folks, as ever, I really do appreciate it.

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
I think it is apparent that truckmount owners will need a portable from time to time. This is especially true for those who do a lot
of commercial work. You don't haved to go and spend $3000.00 though. I would purchace a used high performance portable
for $1500.00 or less.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I think it is apparent that truckmount owners will need a portable from time to time. This is especially true for those who do a lot
of commercial work. You don't haved to go and spend $3000.00 though. I would purchace a used high performance portable
for $1500.00 or less.
Yeah, offer for his unit is in that range and on the table. Just waiting to see if it sells for more than I offered. I will likely know next week. Got a great deal from him on the Cimex units, chemical and pads though.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

earl804

May 16, 2014
York PA
www.susclean.com
Real Name
alex c
Business Location
United States
I ended up offering him a price on the porty which he refused but he will revisit it if he still hasnt sold it when he is ready to move to Belize.
I did buy two 19 inch Cimex machines, a whole bunch of encap product and pads/brushes for the cimex's and a Prochem stair tool from the same person though, so I am feeling pretty good right now.
Thanks for your input folks, as ever, I really do appreciate it.
You need both cimex machines? Lmk if u want to unload one

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
Get that Mytee LTD5 . You need porty. I have two TMs as well as a Cimex. But I still have two pory's and use them on a regular basis.
Is anything under 1500 bucks is a good price? Its got 110 hours on it, and pump out (but not automatic)

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Is anything under 1500 bucks is a good price? Its got 110 hours on it, and pump out (but not automatic)
I'm not familiar with the pricing of these things, especially used. The vacuum motors are rated for 500 hours I believe. The pump out is great thing to have. The bucket brigade gets old real fast. You should also have an auto fill as well on that Mytee LTD 5. Just be sure to buy some extra toggle switches. Some of them are famous for going out on you in the middle of a job. Granger sells some that I bought. They have never gone out on me since I've used them.

CrazyRay

Oct 22, 2012
Dallas,Tx.
Real Name
Ray Waits
Business Location
United States
In the situation you described the porty setup will be quicker and easier than a TM. The lack of a good porty setup system or procedure is what really slows you down. When you don't use one everyday and develop a good system then it always seems painfully slow.
Usually I will take the machine and spotters up first. Then start filling the machine. We always set up in the kitchen and used a short piece of vac hose pushed up on the faucet to fill the tank.
While the tank is filling double time back to the truck and bring up wand and hoses. Pre condition, spotting and start washing. Don't overflow the tank.
I don't think I would pay $2000 for a used portable. But exceptions to that rule are possible. I would agree with Jim, you should be able to find a good one for $1500 or less.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
In the situation you described the porty setup will be quicker and easier than a TM. The lack of a good porty setup system or procedure is what really slows you down. When you don't use one everyday and develop a good system then it always seems painfully slow.
Usually I will take the machine and spotters up first. Then start filling the machine. We always set up in the kitchen and used a short piece of vac hose pushed up on the faucet to fill the tank.
While the tank is filling double time back to the truck and bring up wand and hoses. Pre condition, spotting and start washing. Don't overflow the tank.
I don't think I would pay $2000 for a used portable. But exceptions to that rule are possible. I would agree with Jim, you should be able to find a good one for $1500 or less.
1500 is the lowest he said he is willing to go and I might go for it as its only got the 110 hours on it, has 75 ft of hoses, stair tool, upholstery tool and wand.

Vito

Bravo Carpet and Tile Cleaning
Premium VIP
Aug 17, 2012
Naples, Fl.
bravocarpetandtilecleaning.com
Real Name
Vito Trupiano
Business Location
United States
I was offer good money for my goliath and I flat turn it down. love that mach. and it great for a backup and high rise, and I can run a second wand if I have a large enough job. I also have a mytee lite II I used for spot removal and upholstery. THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB. I clean the carpet in my house with the Mytee Lite II what a job that was LOL

CrazyRay

Oct 22, 2012
Dallas,Tx.
Real Name
Ray Waits
Business Location
United States
Do you know how old the machine is? When he bought it. It should have the high performance 3 stg vac motors. Which pump does it have? Mytee has made several upgrades to the LTD5 in the past couple of years. Why is he selling it? Have you run the machine? Make sure it not only runs good but everything sounds good. If all is well plus those extras, price sounds fair.

... the $1500 that is.

j hughes

Sep 5, 2014
Real Name
jon hughes
new to forum

i run a cleaning service and adding carpet cleaning to my services i will be using a porty and im looking for any helpful tips,tricks,and education anyone has to offer as far as set up, chems and equipment. carpet cleaning is not my core function so getting a TM is not necessary. i've been reading some of the forums and seen some pretty nice setups for the porty

ps. i have a job coming up job about 2800sq new carpet to be extracted any tips so i dont botch this job. new carpet is commercial low cut pile glue down.

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
If you are doing mostly commercial carpets then likely you want to get something
with an automatic pumpout . I have done many jobs that big without one so it really depends on what
is important for you. If speed while doing an excellent job then you will do well with a
high performance portable with as I mentioned autofill auto pumpout. A good used CA Jaguar 6.6,or
a used Mytee M5 ,Mytee Ltd 5 ,also the Steambrite Goliath is a fine portable. Truly designed for
working fast . All that being said you can clean that 2800 feet with about any portable that is designed
for commercial work. No Rug Doctors please! I suppose it is a matter of how much carpet cleaning you
are wanting to work up to .

j hughes

Sep 5, 2014
Real Name
jon hughes
Lol!! no rug doctor. Currently I have a powr-flite with wonder and. But would like to up grade to something you just mentioned. But for now got to work with what I got. For this new carpet should I use a light pre spay with a acid rinse to prevent browning