Question portable vacuums | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Question portable vacuums

Prestigecarpetclean

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Jhon
Hi guys tried searching around couldnt find answers, how do you know when its time to replace vacs? I have 2 3 stage vacs in my port, ive put out alot of hours not sure how many, how do you know when its time to replace? Any obvious signs to look for? Thanks

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Hi guys tried searching around couldnt find answers, how do you know when its time to replace vacs? I have 2 3 stage vacs in my port, ive put out alot of hours not sure how many, how do you know when its time to replace? Any obvious signs to look for? Thanks
when ever the vacuum stops working, i keep them till they burn out.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
When I used to do maintenance on different types of portable extractors, I like to gut it out and put it back together. I don't mean completely, but I would take out motors
( only 3 bolts to be removed ) took the plastic cover out and checked stator, rotor condition. After a while, film from carbon brushes get quite thick , I used comutator stone to gently remove it , while running motor only on air suction from vacuum cleaner trough the vacuum port. Induction within electric motors is everything. There is a lot of ways to prolong life of el. motors...
Same goes for water pump maintenance.

Prestigecarpetclean

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Jhon
When I used to do maintenance on different types of portable extractors, I like to gut it out and put it back together. I don't mean completely, but I would take out motors
( only 3 bolts to be removed ) took the plastic cover out and checked stator, rotor condition. After a while, film from carbon brushes get quite thick , I used comutator stone to gently remove it , while running motor only on air suction from vacuum cleaner trough the vacuum port. Induction within electric motors is everything. There is a lot of ways to prolong life of el. motors...
Same goes for water pump maintenance.
Thanks for responding, what should i look for when checking stator and rotar condition? Is there any tale tell signs i should be looking for? Also what would you recommend as far as pump maintenance? I clean filter and run descale every few months but thats about it, thank you

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Thanks for responding, what should i look for when checking stator and rotar condition? Is there any tale tell signs i should be looking for? Also what would you recommend as far as pump maintenance? I clean filter and run descale every few months but thats about it, thank you
I'm not sure if I have left motor with a comutator with a black film, if I do I'll make a picture, so you can see the difference. Once you have the motor out, you should check length of the brushes. If you can see markings on brushes close to the comutator, ot should've been replaced long time ago. If you're considering the replacement, make sure that tou replace both brushes at the same time. Bon my experience, motor goes out before motor does. Long time inactive electrical motor should be cleaned with a air compressor to get all dust off, before damage occurs.
As for pump motor, you should inspect cam bearing, check pressure connectors for a leak and make sure the plunger on the pump head is regularly greased in space when cam bearing is sitting.
Take a look at your portable, best school is hands on experience.....

Prestigecarpetclean

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Jhon
Thank you @Luky if you can find time to post that pic that will be awesome, would you be able to see if i need brushes /replace ment with pictures? I can take a couple good ones after work today

Prestigecarpetclean

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Jhon
Is there a way to grease plunger with out removing anything? I have not greased anything since having this extractor for over a year and half, what type of grease do you recommend? I agree best way to learn is hands on, ive replaced rocker switches, wires, vacuums, by doing research and hands on trial and error

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Thank you @Luky if you can find time to post that pic that will be awesome, would you be able to see if i need brushes /replace ment with pictures? I can take a couple good ones after work today
If you look at comutator, you'll see vertical (deeper) and horizontal
( subtle) grooves. My understanding is that if those start to deteriorate along with a scuffed carbon brushes, your motor will not perform well. There is more to it, but this is a simplistic version. Always watch for foam buildup, 'cause constant moisture means shorter lifespan. I'm not sure if your brushes are carbon graphite or have some other materials in it. Depending on number inscribed on brushing, the higher number(say 550) the better quality of the brushes. Maybe some other members have better grasp on the topic.
I should post pictures shortly..

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Luky's spot on maintenance and what to look for. The brush end ideally should be drawing air from outside the motor compartment, when they breathe right they have less brush dust on them. Heavy brush dust can be an indicator of not enough fresh air movement over the business end of the motor. Many versions of 6.6 and 8.4 have better bearing placement and seals for carpet cleaning use once broke in vs older 5.7 motors.

Here's a good tutorial from the mothership on breaking in new brushes.

Reactions: Prestigecarpetclean

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
A lot of good advice on maintenance. Something I do is listen for a rattle sound when the vacs power down. We call it the death rattle. It doesn't necessarily mean the motor is dead or dying, just needs some kind of attention. Another thing is noise level of the machine. As the motors wear down the tend to get louder. So try and remember what it sounded like new, if it's screaming at you now, motors need work or replacement.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States

Attachments

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
#1 - carbon brushes for 500 hours & 1500 hours motor. Higher numbers, higher hours.
#2- comutator with a carbon film
#3- comutator after removal of carbon, but worn out anyway
#4- comutator stone
There are lot of grades, from soft to hard. I use this particular one. It does good job. I don't recommend to clean comutator while under the current. Remove the motor, get comutator moving with attaching hose from household vacuum to a vacuum port on motor and gently press comutator stone against comutator. Wearing face mask is recommended, you don't want to breathe carbon dust .

jack zerkie

Jun 27, 2008
cape coral florida
Business Location
United States
To make the vacs last many years the secret it run the vacs for 3-5 min. after each job when job is finished . Also clean the motor area with a soft brush and a shop vac to clean the heat area the vacs are located.

Reactions: J20770 and Jimsteam

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
#1 - carbon brushes for 500 hours & 1500 hours motor. Higher numbers, higher hours.
#2- comutator with a carbon film
#3- comutator after removal of carbon, but worn out anyway
#4- comutator stone
There are lot of grades, from soft to hard. I use this particular one. It does good job. I don't recommend to clean comutator while under the current. Remove the motor, get comutator moving with attaching hose from household vacuum to a vacuum port on motor and gently press comutator stone against comutator. Wearing face mask is recommended, you don't want to breathe carbon dust .
I remember the Electricians doing exactly what your describing at GM on our CNC high production machinery. What a mess .
Cloud of dust that shouldn't be breathed in. Safety or OSHA eventually stopped this process.
If you must clean these comutators do it outside with a mask. Many of these motors can last 1K hours or more and are under $100 or slightly more thru KleenRite.
Think about it.

thefundu

Banned
Aug 12, 2019
Real Name
Amit Ahuja
Hey, so you got us replaced motor instead of the whole vacuum. Great job Luky...you saved some bucks.