Question about truckmount

Andrew1986

Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
Andrew Tetyuk
Hi, I am new to carpet cleaning business, but do have some exp from working for a company. I have started a company and now looking for van and truck mount. I am interested in Nissan NV 1500, 2500 or Ford Transit Cargo. But, my biggest headache is about truck mount, as I know that is most important peace. While working for other company I got used to Prochem machine, and thinking that is probably very professional truck mount. I am looking to do residential and commercial. I contacted local shop which specializes in carpet cleaning. But, I want to get right machine. I don't understand difference which effect carpet cleaning of machines that cost $18,000 like Prochem Legend or machine that cost $30,000 like Prochem Everest? Can someone please help me? Thank you!

Reactions: Ivangon

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
wow, to try to explain the differences in truckmounts your going to get a ton of advice - often conflicting. Brand names which cost more or off brand names which cost less, heat exchangers or fuel burner, single wand or duel wand.

Basically there are three components to a truckmount. the engine, the blower and pressure pump. Simply the bigger the components, the higher the price.

For instance, an air cooled lower HP engine will cost less than a water cooled higher HP engine. A larger blower creates more suction IE Faster drying time, but also costs more.

So it would help to know how much you have to spend

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Hi, I am new to carpet cleaning business, but do have some exp from working for a company. I have started a company and now looking for van and truck mount. I am interested in Nissan NV 1500, 2500 or Ford Transit Cargo. But, my biggest headache is about truck mount, as I know that is most important peace. While working for other company I got used to Prochem machine, and thinking that is probably very professional truck mount. I am looking to do residential and commercial. I contacted local shop which specializes in carpet cleaning. But, I want to get right machine. I don't understand difference which effect carpet cleaning of machines that cost $18,000 like Prochem Legend or machine that cost $30,000 like Prochem Everest? Can someone please help me? Thank you!
There are literally hundreds of posts on here about TMs. Spend some time reading & researching then you can make your decision.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I agree with both above posted.

Name brands are suppose to be better designed but nothing is perfect, lower end or no name brands cost a lot less but are not always pretty, or well designed but because they are so low in cost it typically doesnt matter to the purchaser.

Materials, design, engine size, type, blower size, heat exchanger design, capacity and materials, pump size, waste tank size and capacity will effect the cost. But reputation also has an effect on $$$

Reactions: Andrew1986

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I agree with both above posted.

Name brands are suppose to be better designed but nothing is perfect, lower end or no name brands cost a lot less but are not always pretty, or well designed but because they are so low in cost it typically doesnt matter to the purchaser.

Materials, design, engine size, type, blower size, heat exchanger design, capacity and materials, pump size, waste tank size and capacity will effect the cost. But reputation also has an effect on $$$
One other factor to consider, and it's a major one; what is your mechanical ability, budget or desire?
Even routine maintenance such as fluid changes, belts etc have to be performed by someone.

The top shelf units are very complicated but the dealership can service them.
The simpler ones are usually not sold by the mainline dealers so you are left servicing them yourself or finding a good small engine mechanic locally.

Personally I prefer a simpler unit that I can work on myself.
I've had a belt break and fuel filter failure on a job and was able to repair both quite quickly and get back to work.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Real Name
MARCUS ANDERSON
Business Location
United States
Tm
1. Heat...heat exchanger vs. Fuel heat
2. Vacuum....size blower
3. Engine...size and brand
Water. Cool vs. Air cool
4. Longevity and repair
This is where you have to focus.....
As nightmares can happen.....

I have seen guys on this forum...
Have 1-2 year breakdown on a 10-15k. Garage build
I also read a guy had a 9 month brakedown on a 30k tm from the big 3.....

Big 3 are. Prochem. Saphire...hydramaster

Gotta do research ....

I'm with pete...
I don't buy any tm I can't fix or my local auto mechanic can't fix....

Reactions: sbsscn

Andrew1986

Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
Andrew Tetyuk
Thank you guys! Every of your comment is very helpful. I was working for big company and they used Prochem Legend, one truck mount almost never broke and the other one was breaking from time to time. They were like 2006 models. But, I really liked their truck mounts because it seemed like they were very strong and as someone who was just starting it did help a lot. My partner was cleaning carpets that probably should have been replaced, but the machine was doing great job. As a starter I think I need powerful machine to help me out, I do not want put more physical work than I should. From my point of view paying $10,000 more but get job done faster and better is great investment for a starter like me. Thank you guys for your comments!

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Big 3 are. Prochem. Saphire...hydramaster
And now Prochem has been bought out by Sapphire so there is no Prochem anymore. You may find the name Prochem on it but its built by Sapphire and the Prochem models will be phased out

so really its Butler, Sapphire and Hydramaster.

That being said you gotta realize that after 5, 8 or 10 years you can get good resale value if you buy one of the name brands to offset its higher costs. So in effect you get a better TM at a better Value