Question about the Rug Doctor | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

mrnapolean1

Mar 11, 2016
Real Name
Mike R.
I have rented the Rug Doctor professional machine from Walmart numerous times and I want to buy one to have.

I have ran across two different types of Rug Doctor machines:

This one: (this is the one I typically rent from Walmart expect its red)
rugdoctormighty.jpg

And this one: I see these all over ebay.
rugdoctorplastic.jpg

Is there a performance difference between these machines?
I find plenty of the Mighty pros all over Craigslist for around $200.

Is it advisable to buy one from CL or just buy one new from Rug Doctor?
If I do buy one from CL, what do I need to look for?
And for a used Rug Doctor machine what would be a good price? (I don't want to get ripped off).

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
So the Red one (Second picture) cleans better than the ones you can rent from Walmart?
Sir please forgive our forum clowns... This is after all a professional carpet cleaning forum. We tend to frown on rug doctors here because in all honesty they do not work.... We can not be too sure if you are simply a misguided consumer or you are a carpet cleaner pulling a gag on us, Either way the best rug doctor is NO rug doctor. Call a pro and pay the money to have a pro clean your carpet because no electric solution you can buy is going to ever come close to comparing to a professional job. Aloha.

mrnapolean1

Mar 11, 2016
Real Name
Mike R.
Sir please forgive our forum clowns... This is after all a professional carpet cleaning forum. We tend to frown on rug doctors here because in all honesty they do not work.... We can not be too sure if you are simply a misguided consumer or you are a carpet cleaner pulling a gag on us, Either way the best rug doctor is NO rug doctor. Call a pro and pay the money to have a pro clean your carpet because no electric solution you can buy is going to ever come close to comparing to a professional job. Aloha.

I couldnt find a strait answer on Google so I decided to go somewhere where I could ask this question.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Primarily my house and my cars carpets.
I may loan it to friends to do their houses....
I honestly could not tell you the difference between the 2 and I highly doubt any other member here will know either. Rug Dr's are not tools of the trade for professionals, my advice would be to find a member from here in your area and get professional results for you home. Nothing wrong with being a DIY type of person but there is a huge difference in the results.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
I couldnt find a strait answer on Google so I decided to go somewhere where I could ask this question.
Well you came to the right place because we can save you a whole lot of wasted money and time.... Not to mention grief because you ruined your carpet 10 years before its time.... Carpet cleaning is NOT a DIY project for somebody who has not done this professionally in the past....The rug doctor will leave a ton of soap in your carpet and probably overwet it as well resulting in permanent damage... Rug doctor and all over the counter carpet cleaning solutions are a scam..... They DO NOT work..... Save yourself the trouble. Be smart, tell us what city you are in and we may be able to recommend a good pro.

Reactions: Allied

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I have rented the Rug Doctor professional machine from Walmart numerous times and I want to buy one to have.

rugdoctormighty.jpg

rugdoctorplastic.jpg

And for a used Rug Doctor machine what would be a good price? (I don't want to get ripped off).
Just two days ago I did water extract in the banquet hall on golf course property. As I sat water claw in the center of the room, all I can see trough plastic was lot of foam. I know that water has tendency to foaming up coming through the holes on the bottom, but that was nothing, but soap.Crystal defoamer took care of the problem. Before I left, I found in one of the storage rooms "mighty " Doctor Rug, the same you just showed us. Should I tell you more....

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Hey are you in Canada? Do you know the king? He uses a Rug Doctor.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Get the one that holds the most rinse water to cut down on the number of times you have to stop.

You can do a good job with the rug Doctor. I cleaned a friends house that lives out of state with a rug Doctor. We got the job done and it looked good. Granted 2 of us spent 6 hours doing what I could have done in about an hour with my truckmount.

A couple things that will help you out of using a rug Doctor:

Before anything, vacuum really good. After you are done vacuuming then go and vacuum again!

Don't put any soap in the machine. Use just plain water or if you want to spend a few dollars for some professional chemicals you can add a rinse agent to the rug Doctor water.

Buy a 2 gallon pump up sprayer and mix your soap up in there and spray it directly on the carpet. A light mist should be sufficient, put a little more in heavily soiled areas.

After pre-spraying the soap on the carpet use a push broom to agitate it before you use the machine on it.

After running the machine over each row you clean go over it twice more just extracting (not dropping any more water) so you get the carpet as dry as possible.

Ventilate the house to let the moisture out and dry air in. Use any fans or ceiling fans you have to help circulate the air.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Get the one that holds the most rinse water to cut down on the number of times you have to stop.

You can do a good job with the rug Doctor. I cleaned a friends house that lives out of state with a rug Doctor. We got the job done and it looked good. Granted 2 of us spent 6 hours doing what I could have done in about an hour with my truckmount.

Before anything, vacuum really good. After you are done vacuuming then go snd vacuum again!

Don't put any soap in the machine. Use just plain water or if you want to spend a few dollars for some professional chemicals you can add a rinse agent to the rug Doctor water.

Buy a 2 gallon pump up sprayer and mix your soap up in there and spray it directly on the carpet. A light mist should be sufficient, put a little more in heavily soiled areas.

After pre-spraying the soap on the carpet use a push broom to agitate it before you use the machine on it.

After running the machine over each row you clean go over it twice more just extracting (not dropping any more water) so you get the carpet as dry as possible.

Ventilate the house to let the moisture out and dry air in. Use any fans or ceiling fans you have to help circulate the air.
Why didnt you tell me this before I spent $16k on my TM in October? :rolleyes:

Reactions: agrantnz

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States

Before anything, vacuum really good. After you are done vacuuming then go snd vacuum again!

Dude seriously? come on todd why encourage him? you are a professional that is why you were able to achieve decent results... I have never in my history of cleaning carpet seen a consumer that could actually clean their own carpet... 50% of the jobs we do are cleaning up after sloppy jobs performed by consumers or rookie carpet cleaners are they not?

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States

Before anything, vacuum really good. After you are done vacuuming then go and vacuum again!

You've done that a few times lol. Good advice Todd.

mrnapolean1

Mar 11, 2016
Real Name
Mike R.
Well you came to the right place because we can save you a whole lot of wasted money and time.... Not to mention grief because you ruined your carpet 10 years before its time.... Carpet cleaning is NOT a DIY project for somebody who has not done this professionally in the past....The rug doctor will leave a ton of soap in your carpet and probably overwet it as well resulting in permanent damage... Rug doctor and all over the counter carpet cleaning solutions are a scam..... They DO NOT work..... Save yourself the trouble. Be smart, tell us what city you are in and we may be able to recommend a good pro.

I have no problem with the Rug Doctor. I joined this forum to ask the question in the OP. I am not wanting to get into Carpet cleaning professionally nor do I want to pay for something I can already do by myself. I just want to own the machine so when I clean my carpets I don't have to go and rent the stupid thing.

Reactions: sbsscn

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Dude seriously? come on todd why encourage him? you are a professional that is why you were able to achieve decent results... I have never in my history of cleaning carpet seen a consumer that could actually clean their own carpet... 50% of the jobs we do are cleaning up after sloppy jobs performed by consumers or rookie carpet cleaners are they not?
Fact is 60% of the population will never once in their life call a professional carpet cleaner. Why not help someone out wanting to do it themselves.

Besides, this guy could live down the road from you and may someday move, when the new homeowner calls you do you really want to clean a house that has been over soaped with rug Doctor soap? Who knows, this could some day make YOUR life a little easier.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P

There must be people that use rentals and do a fine job. It's a numbers thing. And the people that do fine with it have no reason to call you, only the people who mess it up. That is why our view is biased thinking everyone that uses a rug Doctor destroys their carpet, because we only see those people.

Anyone who would actually clean their carpets with a rental would most likely do it more often so they don't need the huge before and after results we often achieve.

This next statement is not an insult to the op or anyone who does anything diy. It's just a fact.

People often need to make a choice when a professional service may be needed. What do I need to sacrifice in order to hire a professional?

John you just posted a diy project...how can you fault this guy for doing the same thing?

And when you respond that it was just throwing a few screws together. That is how many people feel about carpet cleaning. And they are free to feel that way. And even if you respond saying it took expertise, you feel you have it, he can also respond that way.

Me personally, if I can afford it, I go with a pro. If I can't I won't.

But usually I will sacrifice what is necessary to go with a pro, one that guarantees his work. That way if something goes wrong they are to blame and must take responsibility, otherwise I am stuck with a problem that I caused and therefore is most likely beyond me.

Reactions: Wec and LeeRoy

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P

rugdoctormighty.jpg

rugdoctorplastic.jpg

Listen to all of todd's advice.

And I will add, look into a quality "crystallizing encapsulant" to use as your pretreatment. That way if (but sorry I really mean when) you leave residue behind it will crystallize and be removable via vacuuming.

Or if you were smart you would buy an Oreck orbiter, bonnets, and some encapsulant and stick with a low moisture cleaning.

Reactions: keep it clean