QR Codes. Who uses them and how? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

QR Codes. Who uses them and how?

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I am in the process of re-designing my van decals.
I have thought about putting a QR code in place that directs to the web site.
Then I thought about creating a "hidden" page on the web site for the QR code to direct to with some sort of offer.
Anyone done similar?
Pros & cons for this?

Thanks

Bex

Jimmy Hitt

Feb 9, 2014
Ashland City
Real Name
Jimmy Htt
Business Location
United States
I think Damon has one on his. He put the website you get it from in a previous thread.

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
Qr codes are a great idea. If anyone used them. They just haven't caught on yet. They need to better implement qr codes on phones etc, the software should already be on everyone's phones to read them, not need to be downloaded. In my opinion qr codes are still ahead of their time. They might work better though on the west coast were people seem to be more in touch with technology though idk.

Ryan Kettering

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
Qr codes are a great idea. If anyone used them. They just haven't caught on yet. They need to better implement qr codes on phones etc, the software should already be on everyone's phones to read them, not need to be downloaded. In my opinion qr codes are still ahead of their time. They might work better though on the west coast were people seem to be more in touch with technology though idk.

Ryan Kettering
Might as well stay ahead then and put it on. I created one online on my pc and scanned it with a reader on my android phone. Took way too long to scan it. My idea of it being on the van might not fly too well if thats the sort of delay a person can expect waiting at a traffic light. They are just going to get frustrated perhaps. Follow up the van with putting it on my business cards too.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I see, just thought maybe your customers would let you know if they used your QR code.
Nobody has ever said anything. I just figure it is another way to get people to go to my website.

Reactions: Jose Holguin

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
It's hard to say for sure. I don't know if there is a way to track it or not.
Have it go to a custom URL on your website. That way you can track to see how many use it. Also you could track it by having the qr code go to a link shortener like bit.ly and you can see on you bit.ly account how many times the link has been used.

Ryan Kettering

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
The QR code fad has come and gone imo.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Make sure the page it goes to is a mobile friendly site or squeeze page. I agree - they really haven't caught on for some reason. But if you are doing a re-design you might as well put it on there.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
QR codes are dead here in Ohio. They popped up and you saw them around for a few years there, but now you hardly see them at all.

A customer is gonna take a pic of your van if they are driving. Its quick and simple. This is why your van lettering/wrap needs to be as clean and easy to read as possible. Phone number and or WWW address. Folks will look at the pic they took later to retrieve the info. A QR code is nearly impossible to get your phone to read from a moving vehicle. And even if you are parked you need to get right up on the van to get the phone to read it. Most will NOT do this in a parking lot or on the street as it makes one look suspicious, odd, weird and out of place, standing a few feet from some strangers van.

As for on your business card. If you have your WWW address printed on it it is quicker and easier to just open browser on your phone or pc and type in the URL and visit the page vs opening a QR app, scanning the QR code which, then the app opens your browser and searches. No convenience has been added or problem solved. In fact the process has added steps, software and time to the process of looking up ones web site.

My thoughts on QR codes.

Gavin

Jan 21, 2011
WA
Real Name
Gavin Green
Business Location
United States
I've seen 2 really good implementations of qr codes:

a local restaurant lets you advertise on their tables, people are sitting waiting for food and have time to play with their phone and test out the whole qr thing, gets lots of use.

the other really good one was a qr code on your business card that is a contact file, scan the code and it puts all the information in the phone.

qrhacker.com can help you design better looking codes, as well as codes that do more then just point to a webpage.

want more info on how qr codes work, visit my blog, http://carpetcleaningbellingham.com/qr-codes/

check out this custom beauty of a code.

Reactions: Gasoline