Putting "Needle valve" on end of solution hose

Joey33

Feb 24, 2017
Real Name
Joe oayette
So I recently bought a new upholstery tool that has a "needle valve" or a knob that allows you to fine tune your cleaning pressure.

I was thinking about putting one at the end of my solution hose. That way when I'm cleaning carpet, I can set my pressure on my truck mount as high as I'm going to clean with, so let's say 400-450, and then when I'm cleaning carpet I could adjust my pressure with the needle valve to 250-350 to save water and save time running back to the truck every time I want to turn the pressure up for a dirtier area/ spot.

Any downsides to this? Anyone try it?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Hmm, interesting idea. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

I generally leave my pressure alone while cleaning but I may try it out too. I can't think of any down side, if the valve is all the way open it would be as if it isn't there allowing full flow.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The needle valve can increase or decrease flow, but the pressure will still be what you set it at the panel. You would probably need to have a fairly large needle valve to keep up with maximum flow when needed.

I use the ball valve on the solution line to adjust flow down sometimes especially with old school upholstery tools with single jets, but like I said it is still at the same pressure. I also do it when cleaning area rugs on site as well with the wand.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I agree that you can just do it with the ball valve you probably already have at the end of your solution line.

the needle valve on our sapphire tends to not stay put after a lot of heat has ran thru it, then needs replaced.. the ball valves last a long time.

I think the new mytee bentley has a needle valve

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
Someone smarter than me will be along shortly but... In any given water hose pressure or garden, if you turn down the flow you turn up the pressure. The numbers we are working with are not high enough to make enough difference but it is what it is.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
My only concern with a needle valve versus a ball valve is that the innards of a needle valve are more delicate, and it may well wear out considerably faster than you'd like.