Pumptec 205 vs 207 pump | Page 4 | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Pumptec 205 vs 207 pump

Discussion in 'Portable Carpet Cleaning' started by fboet, Jul 11, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Zarz

Zarz Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Carpet Cleaner
    Victoria
    Ratings:
    +531 / 5 / -0
    Ok, so here it is all Fixed!
    I had a look to see which cam bearing I put in and it was a .085
    I greased up and put the old .160 back in and it now works perfectly.
    So long story short, after replacing the pump head's seal kit with "kit-A" it fixed my issue.
    Thanks for all your help goomer, much appreciated.

2. goomer

goomer Well-Known Member

Sweet......That was a tough one.

Good job hanging in there.

Pump flow issues like that are about as tough as it gets with portables.

As much as a pain in the ass it was, it is a very valuable experience and will make any further pump troubleshooting and maintenance a lot easier.

Those Pumptec's are workhorses, and can be easily rebuilt over and over.

I believe the .160 cam with that pump and 1/2hp motor will put out about 1.5GMP (@ X psi), so the .085, with half the stroke, likely had considerably less output volume.

Without that second inline filter, keep a closer eye on your wand filter screen too.

Enjoy your rebirth.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fboet

fboet Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Male
    Owner
    Miami, Fl.
    Ratings:
    +405 / 3 / -0
    Goomer, you are the man. I removed the pump and sure enough, the cam bearing was a .095. I replaced it with a .160 and the pressure is awesome. It barely drops below 450 psi. I did not know there was a different offset. All these cams look similar. Thanks to you, I resolved the issue of the pressure dropping.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zarz

Zarz Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Carpet Cleaner
    Victoria
    Ratings:
    +531 / 5 / -0
    Yep, goomer is the man. However just make sure your motor can handle the wider offset of .160
    My Mytee M3 uses a 1/2 hp motor and .160 is perfect. However my Goliath uses a 1/4 ho motor and its offset cam to get the best operating pressure without damaging the motor during long time use is .110
    *Your motor looks like a M58 which is a 1/2hp, so you should be right with that cam. Dont know why the .095 was in there?

5. fboet

fboet Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Male
    Owner
    Miami, Fl.
    Ratings:
    +405 / 3 / -0
    I ordered a brand new 1/2 hp motor (M-58) and cam bearing on E-Bay, not knowing that there were different offsets. The supplier never told me, although he knew the M-5 well. I ordered the new one from Steambrite.

6. goomer

goomer Well-Known Member

Sweet..............;)

I only know what I do because I have been through Hell and back with these pump/motor combos.

Zars brought up a good point.

For the number of Pumptec 205's out there, a large majority of them are not being driven by the big 1/2hp Marathon motors.

I found that a lot of porty's with 205"s and "touting" 0-500 psi, are driving the 205's with smaller motors, and although achieving 500psi, are doing at lower flows, because the smaller motors can't reliably drive the longer plunger stroke when using a .160 higher off-set cam, so they couple

Even some 205's WITH the 1/2hp motors are driving smaller cams by choice, by some manufacturers, and seemingly done due to poor vac recovery, where you may not want higher flow rates.

I have ran Mytees long enough to know that when they couple a 205 with a 1/2hp motor, they know enough to use the .160 off-set cam to take advantage of the potential of the full 1/2hp motor.

Silly to use any other cam with a 1/2hp motor, but I have seen it often from other manufacturers.

With the higher flow-rates, vac/recovery performance becomes even more important, which is the second thing Mytee got right.

That higher flow pump/motor combo is best supported by twin HP 5.7 vac motors in PARALLEL.

That's it.

I have always said it, and will say it again, that component combo is a STANDARD for porty performance, because it has mainly to do with the HIGHER FLOW.

If you do any pressure washing, you will better understand that it is the flow volume that does the heavy lifting.

Same with cleaning carpets, and most often not mentioned enough.

Higher flow rate VOLUME is what will deliver better FLUSHING.....which is the basis of what is being done....isn't it??

Faster, more efficient flushing per/stroke simply equals higher production rates.

Anyone who has utilized up to 1.5gpm will understand.

So many units out there pissing <1.0 gpm............which is a whole 1/3 less.

Trust me, an additional 1/3 makes a huge difference if your wand flow and recovery will support it's potential.

As far as acquisition of the cams goes, the majority of distributors sell them without any off-set info, as if there is only one blanket sku.

They will list them without any off-set specs, and it's a toss up to which one you will get, so you have to be sure to specify the .160 offset.

The wrong-cam bug bites often.

Keep that other .095 cam as a back-up for when you get to experience the joys of an instant catastrophic cam failure half way through Mrs. Piffs living room.

Not that you would able to swap it out in the field and finish the job.......because your fooked.

Good times.

Out of all the things that can fail in the field, few are as tough to recover from than a cam failure.

When that cam blows, your fooked.

Vac issues, power/swith issues, leaks, whatever, all can be potentially fixed or re-mediated enough to complete a job most of the time.

When that cam blows, your fooked.

ONLY 2 things can save you in this dreaded situation.

One, is a direct sink-to-wand adapter and set-up, and the other is a wondrous little Oreck Orbiter with absorbent pads.

Better have one of those options available, or youll be leaving 1/2 of Mrs. Piffs living room completely un-rinsed and with a nice thick layer of pre-spray.

• Like Like x 2
  7. goomer

goomer Well-Known Member

Biggest disadvantage of these pump/motor combos is the fooking weigh of that motor.

Things almost 30 pounds.

This is what caps the lowest weight of any higher flow units at 120+.

Sucks for operators like me who is always man-handling their unit all over the fooking place.

Even though i'd kill to loose 20+lbs off my main unit, I wouldn't compromise my flow rates to achieve it, and would rather find at the least some small bit of satisfaction, when I stop to catch my breath, on the third landing, of foul smelling walk-up unit, that at least I am dragging around a little powerhouse that will provide me the means to accomplish what needs to be done, so I can.....basically, get the fook out of there and down to street level as fast as I can.

It's harnessing the potential of the higher flushing/flow rates that gets me out the door, and keeps me moving.

Turning over a job in a busy metropolis like mine is already plagued with time wasting intangibles already......recon, parking.....full unload....remote relocating, transporting......enough time wasted on other shit to be loosing any time to a slower production potential.

Higher production rates are possible, simply because higher volume flow is relative to wanding performance and effectiveness.

Deeper, more effective flushing per pass with the right wand..........simply faster production rates.

It's not rocket surgery.

I would never compromise my higher flow.

Nuke it, lil scrubby with my Oreck, good, deeeeeep flush.... only possible with my .160 cam and 1/2 hp heavy fooking motor,............. that's my bread-n-butter right there.

I can't even imagine having to go to war with a lower flow machine.

Pure castration.

I'd put a fooking bullet in my head first.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Zarz

Zarz Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Carpet Cleaner
    Victoria
    Ratings:
    +531 / 5 / -0
    Someone sounds passionate bout cams and flow rates

9. goomer

goomer Well-Known Member