Pumptec 205 vs 207 pump

fboet

Aug 24, 2006
Miami, Fl.
Real Name
Frank Boet
Business Location
United States
I need to replace the pump on my M5 which has a Pumptec 205V series. I called Pumptec and was told that there is no difference between the 205V and the 207V, except the color. The motor on the 207V is smaller where the 205V is bulkier and heavier. The 207V is $150 less. I trust Pumptec technical advise, but was wondering if anyone has on the field experience with both pumps. Thanks!

fboet

Aug 24, 2006
Miami, Fl.
Real Name
Frank Boet
Business Location
United States
I rebuilt my 205v several times, new plunger seals etc

I can rebuild the pump, but the motor looks damaged. The pump stopped working and just hums, like if it locked up. I thought that I would just buy a brand new pump/ motor and not have to worry about it for a few years.
pump.jpg

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
The only difference is flow rate. I think the difference is literally a couple tenths of a gallon.
Do a rebuild first.

There are 3 kits for a rebuild.
Kit A - plunger and seals
Kit B - check valves
Kit C - bearing

Per the pic your bearing is shot. I'd replace the plunger as well if it is damaged

Use an Allen key to try and remove that bearing. If it won't budge, I've had to cut them off before

Zarz

Feb 1, 2012
Victoria
Real Name
John Zahra
Business Location
Australia
It could also be that your bearings are gone preventing the motor from spinning the head freely. Also make sure the cut-out section (where the bearings sit) is greased so that there is no ceasing.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Yep . $25 cam bearing should do it . Might be a good time to check motor brushes and give it a cleaning . Seems at least one of the ball bearings is missing and also the cover .
Should put the motor on the bench and make sure it's running okay and start cleaning the pump looking for damage .
All the Best, Ed

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Yep . $25 cam bearing should do it . Might be a good time to check motor brushes and give it a cleaning . Seems at least one of the ball bearings is missing and also the cover .
Should put the motor on the bench and make sure it's running okay and start cleaning the pump looking for damage .
All the Best, Ed
You guys are such good repair guys,, I am very lazy ,, I just buy a new pump and that I will install myself.... on the truckmount if something needs worked on I take it in,, I want it fixed fast so I can have it out working again...

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Purchase the correct size of eccentric cam.
I use a .125 with my 205V / 1/3 hp
Keep your regulator valve lubed or else it won't bypass.
Usual cause of the cam seizing.

fboet

Aug 24, 2006
Miami, Fl.
Real Name
Frank Boet
Business Location
United States
I can't wait for our new Mytee LTD5 to arrive in the next few days. My M5 is now going to be our backup or second unit for large jobs where we cant use my TM. Im putting in the new pump, two new vac motors, new inline filter, new pressure regulator and even two new swivel casters. She should be trouble free for another 5 years :)

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Purchase the correct size of eccentric cam.
I use a .125 with my 205V / 1/3 hp
Keep your regulator valve lubed or else it won't bypass.
Usual cause of the cam seizing.
I agree with lubing the regulator but, but not for the bearings sake. tbh, the most common cause of bearing failure is a leaky plunger seal. Allows water into the bearing compartment which gets into the bearing because the bearing seal is damaged. The bearing then fails from the water and debris.
I had a large customer that runs about 15+ portables daily and they blew out more bearings than I care to ever change again

Reactions: Zarz

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Thanks guys, I just went the easier way and bought a brand new 207v pump and motor for $399 with free delivery from EBay. Can't beat that! :) http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/706-5...0001&campid=5337618551&icep_item=252663776995
also fyi...
The pump you showed in the first picture has an AC motor on it and is wired in directly from the machine to the motor The one you purchased has a DC motor on it. You will have to run the power wire through a regulator/rectifier, which should will be provided. It is in the picture you linked.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
also fyi...
The pump you showed in the first picture has an AC motor on it and is wired in directly from the machine to the motor The one you purchased has a DC motor on it. You will have to run the power wire through a regulator/rectifier, which should will be provided. It is in the picture you linked.
If the diamond " grease " is not provided go to Staples . Sorry , " grease " may not be the correct word . You must make sure it's oriented correctly also . The computer " geeks " use the stuff from Staples for circuit boards etc.to protect them . Found this out after speaking with my son . Bought a tube and he says ....... Should have said said something , I have it in my kit !! Just my luck !! Don't " crank " on the screw when you tighten the rectifier down either . Tight is tight enough . Fortunate to have a great electric motor shop local .
The rectifier may already come shielded ....... It's been awhile since I have had to mess with a motor or rectifiers .
All the Best , Ed

Kingdomcome84

Jul 28, 2013
Real Name
Kenechi Enezuagu
AC motor w/ 205V to replace in the M5. Plug & Play
DC motor you bought with the 207V would need modification like mentioned above

You suppose to buy >>>>THIS<<<<
Either way how much would you sell that 205V pumphead?

Last edited:

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
AC motor w/ 205V to replace in the M5. Plug & Play
DC motor you bought with the 207V would need modification

You suppose to buy >>>>THIS<<<<
It is just wiring. The AC motor will have 3 wires going to it. Hot, Neutral, Ground. Connect the Hot & Neutral wire to the rectifier, then connect the DC motor to the DC prongs on the rectifier. I make it sound easy... its not bad really