Pump clutch question. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Pump clutch question.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
If I have my pump clutch off is my pump still drawing water from my fresh water tank? I was just on an flood extraction job and discovered my supply hose from my fresh water tank direct to my solution pump was collapsed..........pump clutch was in off position and my gauge showed zero pressure but I’m concerned if the pump was still pulling water it was starving out the pump and my seals may be fried......I’ll change out my hose tomorrow but I’m curious whether or not I damaged the pump.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I would think that even though you removed the clutch pump you now have a pump with no ability to shut it off. I believe when you turned off the switch the gage went to zero but you still pumping water.
Some of the older units that don't have a clutch pump will instruct you to set psi around 100 with water connected.
If your water box was empty then it depends on how long you ran it. Some pumps can run dry but never heard of one running for long periods of time.
All you can do is start it back up with water flow and see what happens.

AffordableCarpetCare

Aug 30, 2013
Lebanon TN
Real Name
Matthew Patterson
Business Location
United States
On my mount when clutch is off pump does not turn at all and pulls no water. Curious how if switch turns pressure on gauge off it would still be pumping?

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Sorry I thought you had removed it. Getting old sucks LOL. You could turn switch off then hook up wand and see if you have pressure even though it reads zero psi. Normally when the switch is in the off position there will be no pressure.
Have you checked the clutch plate to see if it engages and releases with the switch.
You can do this by turning on unit till you hear fuel pump then listen when you turn the pump switch from on to off.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Sorry I thought you had removed it. Getting old sucks LOL. You could turn switch off then hook up wand and see if you have pressure even though it reads zero psi. Normally when the switch is in the off position there will be no pressure.
Have you checked the clutch plate to see if it engages and releases with the switch.
You can do this by turning on unit till you hear fuel pump then listen when you turn the pump switch from on to off.
My question is when the pump clutch switch is in the off position, does it still draw any water at all from the tank? Or is the pump totally inactive?

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
On my mount when clutch is off pump does not turn at all and pulls no water. Curious how if switch turns pressure on gauge off it would still be pumping?
Yeah I figured the pump is totally inactive given the gauge shows no pressure but is the pump still drawing? If it was my pump may be fried

AffordableCarpetCare

Aug 30, 2013
Lebanon TN
Real Name
Matthew Patterson
Business Location
United States
Yeah I figured the pump is totally inactive given the gauge shows no pressure but is the pump still drawing? If it was my pump may be fried
It should not have been drawing in the off position. Mine does not(Judson TNT). If your clutch disengaged the pump would not turn at all.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
If you do what I suggested it will help you diagnose the problem. If you have constant pressure when the pump is engaged then it may be the clutch not the pump. When the seals go it's a pretty easy fix to replace them. I'm kind of leaning in the direction of the clutch.
Another way to check the clutch is to press in on the inner sleeve and see if there is movement if you have some then the clutch plate is going out and you can see how much movement you have with the complete unit by moving it with belt on. You should have no movement. Rocking it.

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
If I have my pump clutch off is my pump still drawing water from my fresh water tank? I was just on an flood extraction job and discovered my supply hose from my fresh water tank direct to my solution pump was collapsed..........pump clutch was in off position and my gauge showed zero pressure but I’m concerned if the pump was still pulling water it was starving out the pump and my seals may be fried......I’ll change out my hose tomorrow but I’m curious whether or not I damaged the pump.
The pump will not draw water • it should allow water to flow through anyway. Do not consider this as pressure from the pump • it is water pressure from t water source.

• • • your pump will not draw water • on off

Reactions: sbsscn

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
The pump will not draw water • it should allow water to flow through anyway. Do not consider this as pressure from the pump • it is water pressure from t water source.

• • • your pump will not draw water • on off
My machine doesn’t have a transfer pump. My solution pump draws direct from the water tank. If the pump clutch is off how is it still drawing water? Shouldn’t the pump be totally inactive????

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
If you do what I suggested it will help you diagnose the problem. If you have constant pressure when the pump is engaged then it may be the clutch not the pump. When the seals go it's a pretty easy fix to replace them. I'm kind of leaning in the direction of the clutch.
Another way to check the clutch is to press in on the inner sleeve and see if there is movement if you have some then the clutch plate is going out and you can see how much movement you have with the complete unit by moving it with belt on. You should have no movement. Rocking it.
That wasn’t my question. And the only problem is the hose collapsing that I’m about to replace. If the bad hose starved the pump I may have another problem. I’m about to find out.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Assuming that the hose was not kinked you should be asking what caused it to collapse? If you need to rule things out then what I suggested should answer your questions. Good luck.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
The technical answer is
No

If your clutch is off (not energized) then your pump is not engaged and therefor not pumping.

But sometimes with time and wear or a misaligned clutch might drag and just slightly engage and cause a light friction enough to draw water but it wont be very strong
I wouldn't worry to much about it unless your system had zero water in it.
if your system has a water box with a float switch then I really would not worry about it since the switch would have shut your engine down

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Assuming that the hose was not kinked you should be asking what caused it to collapse? If you need to rule things out then what I suggested should answer your questions. Good luck.
I know what caused it to collapse......heat.