Puff back cleaning procedures

mbrandt

Apr 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Mark Brandt
Business Location
United States
Will be doing a furnace puff back cleaning soon. I have done this before but need a refresher on procedures mainly cleaning.

Reactions: Common janitor

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Will be doing a furnace puff back cleaning soon. I have done this before but need a refresher on procedures mainly cleaning.
You're going to need to purchase chem sponges and wall cleaner for starters. Also get used to a lot of content cleaning. I am very well versed in boiler puffbacks. What do you want to know? I assume you are going after insurance work?

mbrandt

Apr 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Mark Brandt
Business Location
United States
You're going to need to purchase chem sponges and wall cleaner for starters. Also get used to a lot of content cleaning. I am very well versed in boiler puffbacks. What do you want to know? I assume you are going after insurance work?
Yes This is an insurance claim. Can you tell me what products you use for wall wash and deodorants. Do you install an air scrubbier

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Yes This is an insurance claim. Can you tell me what products you use for wall wash and deodorants. Do you install an air scrubbier
OCV has said before in different threads some procedures concerning this . Richard I am sure will help you a great deal .
Actually have a similar situation in a home owned by a family member so I’m very interested in what I’m sure will be a detailed response .
All the Best , Ed

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I just got back to Sarasota from New York. Stuck in many hours of traffic
I will reply back tomorrow or the next day. EXHAUSTED!! Thanks for understanding.

mbrandt

Apr 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Mark Brandt
Business Location
United States
Looked at job today. Area where furnace is located is very sooty. I am going to clean this area up first. Mainly vacuuming. In an unfinished part of basement in an old farm house

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Soot removal sponges (not chem sponges Old vet) for drywall cleaning. If wet cleaning is also needed, Omni Pro Vission (light soot) or Omni Pro Fire Power are good choice. Benefect's Atomic Degreaser is good for wall wash if soot is very greasy or oily. Chemspec also makes a good wall wash.

Keys are being thorough to get everywhere. Protect areas that have been cleaned from being recontaminated with soot from other areas.

mbrandt

Apr 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Mark Brandt
Business Location
United States
Helps vacuumed the area where the furnace was located When I got home I took a shower and after I looked like I had dark makeup on by my eyes. So spent extra time cleaning and still looked slightly dark. Tough stuff to remove off skin.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Helps vacuumed the area where the furnace was located When I got home I took a shower and after I looked like I had dark makeup on by my eyes. So spent extra time cleaning and still looked slightly dark. Tough stuff to remove off skin.
Fun stuff, eh?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Been calling them Chemsponges since the 1980s. Ain't gonna stop now, Scott.
I have been called to testify in two court trials where someone claimed they had a bad reaction to the chemical in a chem sponge. (There is no chemical, just natural rubber in a small open cell configuration.)

Wanted to warn everyone that some folks have sued and some have won over the distress of a "chemsponge" being used in their home.

I play it safe and call them dry cleaning sponges or soot removal sponges or static sponges or anything besides "chem."

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I have been called to testify in two court trials where someone claimed they had a bad reaction to the chemical in a chem sponge. (There is no chemical, just natural rubber in a small open cell configuration.)

Wanted to warn everyone that some folks have sued and some have won over the distress of a "chemsponge" being used in their home.

I play it safe and call them dry cleaning sponges or soot removal sponges or static sponges or anything besides "chem."
Well that doesn't surprise me. As a 24 year LEO Veteran I know a thing or two about court rooms and testifying. No shortage of lying, fraudulent badtards out there, that's for sure.

But still I would never stop using any word or name that had, or implied "Chem" in it. That's just stupid.
I dont cow tow to those in the PC world. By that very logic Chemspec should change their name. Same with Dow Chemicals. Heck, let's eliminate the word Chemistry while we're at it. LOL.

Not faulting you pal. I understand your reasoning considering those who try to get over. Pity.

mbrandt

Apr 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Mark Brandt
Business Location
United States
Just an update on this job. Customer wants to hold off on cleaning til beginning of February. I did order walk wash and odor neutralizer plus soot sponges. I did not put pressure on customer to have us start earlier. She was embarrassed about how messy and cluttered the house was plus working 2 full time jobs. We will see what happens and will keep updates

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Secondary damage, while typically not as bad as it is with water losses, can occur when soot is allowed to sit for long periods of time - especially on fabrics and wood surfaces. Make the customer aware that some damage or discoloration may not be reparable at this point, as chemical changes within the fabric or wood may have happened due to contact with an oily soot residue, and depending on the fuel oil source some chemical reactions may produce carcinogens.

It's best to wear respiratory protection when cleaning this, regardless of how "old" the puffback is.

mbrandt

Apr 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Mark Brandt
Business Location
United States
Thank you for your response. Will for sure wear n95 respirators and gloves. And yes I am aware of damage that prolonged waiting can occur. Hope for the best

Reactions: Mama Fen