Proximity Marketing Beacons | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Proximity Marketing Beacons

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I just heard about these things. Anyone use it with success in their business. My first impression is they are better served in retail environments but I'm certainly interested to know more (I couldnt really know less than I do right now).

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Agree they are better for retail stores. But also interested in hearing more about them.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Ok well i just met a guy today who sells these Proximity marketing beacons, i sat with him, watched a little video presentation and am impressed and love the concept.

And the price is certainly right, and even more so because there is no term length contract involved, try for a month then drop it if you want

To sum it up, you get three of the beacons, very small round objects for $69 a month
they measure 1 7/8" inch in diameter and 9/16" thick
carry one with you and you still have two others, give one to your wife, a friend or if you have a friend that has a some kind of stationary business ask if you can leave one there.

Anyone with in a half a mile of the beacon gets a pop up on their smart phone
you control what the pop up says and you can change it anytime and as much as you want

There is a limit on the amount of characters/letters you can use in the pop up
but you can put a link to your website no matter how many characters which doesn't count against your pop up message characters.

Thats the basic plan details, the "plus plan" allows you to add pics or video but is $19 more per month per beacon

So for $88 dollars you can get the service, 3 beacons with the plus plan on one of them
or $107 for plus plan on two of them or $126 for plus plan on all three of them

I think i may try the basic plan for $69 a month, if i only got one job a month from it, that would more then pay for it as my minimum is more then that alone

anyone interested just let me know

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Ok well i just met a guy today who sells these Proximity marketing beacons, i sat with him, watched a little video presentation and am impressed and love the concept.

And the price is certainly right, and even more so because there is no term length contract involved, try for a month then drop it if you want

To sum it up, you get three of the beacons, very small round objects for $69 a month
they measure 1 7/8" inch in diameter and 9/16" thick
carry one with you and you still have two others, give one to your wife, a friend or if you have a friend that has a some kind of stationary business ask if you can leave one there.

Anyone with in a half a mile of the beacon gets a pop up on their smart phone
you control what the pop up says and you can change it anytime and as much as you want

There is a limit on the amount of characters/letters you can use in the pop up
but you can put a link to your website no matter how many characters which doesn't count against your pop up message characters.

Thats the basic plan details, the "plus plan" allows you to add pics or video but is $19 more per month per beacon

So for $88 dollars you can get the service, 3 beacons with the plus plan on one of them
or $107 for plus plan on two of them or $126 for plus plan on all three of them

I think i may try the basic plan for $69 a month, if i only got one job a month from it, that would more then pay for it as my minimum is more then that alone

anyone interested just let me know
so, thats how it works now, how do you find it useful?

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
well the things are constantly advertising for you wherever you are with in a half mile radius
you can change your message as often as you want.

I like the concept of these things and how they work but not sure i will do it or not

Reactions: Pinosan

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
not so helpful for us I would say

Beacons are small devices that send Bluetooth Low Energy signals (BLE) to smartphones and tablets nearby. Once emitted, these one way radio waves reach the phones in the vicinity of the Beacon device and interact with the mobile applications installed on those phones. That means that when the signal from a Beacon reaches a phone, it triggers specific actions, like location-based notifications, in that phone’s mobile apps. Beacons don’t send notifications themselves. What they really do is send a piece of geographic information, a unique identifier, to the mobile applications within their range (about 50 metres).

The unique identifier, which is different for every beacon, contains three types of data: information about the beacon vendor; information about a certain location, such as a store location; information about a specific subregion within a store, such as a store department. To be able to receive the signal from a beacon, a mobile app needs to be previously enabled to communicate with it. That means the unique identifier of a specific beacon has to be included in that mobile application code.

Moreover, the interaction between a mobile phone and a beacon device is not automatic. It requires users to enable the Bluetooth device on their phones and to opt in to receive signals from Beacons for a specific mobile application.

Maybe this will do but only time will tell

Apple implemented an iBeacon protocol which enables iPhones and iPads (running the latest version of iOS7) to constantly scan for Beacon devices in their proximity. When a beacon is detected, it can automatically ‘talk’ to the mobile applications installed on those Apple devices, even if those apps are closed and not running. Due to the iBeacon protocol, we refer to such Beacons as iBeacons

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I just spoke to a guy from Mybeaconsdirect,

there beacons currently only work on android phones, in order for other phones to receive a notification from the beacon the bluetooth and location service's need to be on and thats it, no special app at all needs to be installed on other peoples phones

To get started with them its a $70 initial cost which includes the beacon, shipping and activation and 1st months monthly charge, after that its only $24 a month for one beacon

The other company Asirvia is a $69 dollar per month charge for the beacons but initial cost to get started is $183 but you get 3 beacons

For three beacons from Mybeaconsdirect initial cost is $99 and $49 per month
so this is the better deal for sure

I may just start with one for $24 a month just out of curiosity and to test it out to see if it really works as far as sending the notification and other phones receiving it, i'll test it on my phone as well as on the phones of friends

If this device actually does work as its advertised to work, i can see some good potential.

I have a friend who has a busy restaurant who would let me keep this device inside under the front counter so that everyone who came into his business 7 days a week would potentially get whatever special or advertising i choose to put on it, along with a link to my website

For a lousy $24 a month its a low risk chance to take, there are no term contracts involved so i can cancel at anytime

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Well I did go ahead and order the thing, so once i have it and test it out i'll keep you all informed of my experience with it, weather it be good or bad

Reactions: carpetmaxllc

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I just received my little proximity beacon yesterday, it's small and very easy to carry around, just drop it in your pocket and you'll forget its even in there.

I took it to my friends restaurant and tested to see if it did in fact send out a notification to there phone and it did, worked on all there phones (only works on android phones) it shows up right where all your other notifications do.

Then if you click on it it takes you to wherever you link it to.

currently i have mine linked to my FB business page, but I will add a special "landing page" to my website that it will take you to

This landing page will be a special page not assessable when you go to my normal website as it will have "specials" available to those who end up there due to the beacon.

Once on this page they can asses my regular website from there

So, as of now all I can share is that the device does work and do what it says it will do which is to send a notification to nearby phones, then when you click on it, it will take you to wherever you link it to

Will i get business from it?? That is yet to be determined

Stay tuned for further updates