Protecting TM From Over Night Freeze | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Protecting TM From Over Night Freeze

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
This is the first year I've had 3 TM's - I have room for 2 TM's in my warehouse garage but #3 - the HTM will have to stay out. I've wrapped the equipment with blankets to try and prevent a freeze of the equipment (will get down to about 30 tonight). Has anyone ever plugged in a small forced air heater ? I thought about plugging one in - setting it on low and putting into the E150 to prevent freezing. Anybody try this? Is this a good idea?

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
What's the coldest you experience? A 1500 watt forced air heater will work great if it doesn't get too cold. Is the van insulated? I live in Manitoba Canada we get overnight lows if
20 below easy. A small 1500 watt woundn't cut it. I have one and sometimes two 4500 watt construction heaters for the inside of my 16 ft boxtruck. I also have the box and undercarriage spray foamed.

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
In Alabama it doesn't get too cold - during the late fall through dead of winter we might have about 20 overnight freezes - most of them between 20-30 as the low and a few as low as 10 degrees.

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
Has anyone ever plugged in a small forced air heater ? I thought about plugging one in - setting it on low and putting into the E150 to prevent freezing. Anybody try this? Is this a good idea?
Of course and of course!

sierra

Jan 15, 2012
TN
www.superkleantn.com
Real Name
Marco Sierra
Business Location
United States
I do the same in my trailer, I leave three sheets, I take out the gallons of gas and leave an automatic heater at 60. Everyday my TM is ready to work.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using TMF Forums mobile app

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
I bring my Pro1200 in bed with me on those cold nights. There's not much room left for my wife and my corgi but it's not too bad if I spoon it.
I did that with my Speedster and it leaked all over the bed so now its in the ensuite!

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
I wonder how well an electric blanket might work? Even on low setting it would prevent anything under it from freezing....Mind you I've never tried it, just thought of it actually:D

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
I use a radiator looking heater. Like the others if it gets below about 10° I use two.

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
I wonder how well an electric blanket might work? Even on low setting it would prevent anything under it from freezing....Mind you I've never tried it, just thought of it actually:D
for a porty? good idea and we can get granny to knit a scarf, toque, booties and mittens for it to!

Reactions: Brian Jones

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
a carpet cleaner has a strong bond with his machine! Just ask a biker how he feels about his Harley? bet he has it at the foot of his bed instead of his dog!

Reactions: aloha one

astrikingimage

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2010
NM
Real Name
Jose Salazar
Business Location
United States
I use a space heater on 800 watt setting. Not the high (1500 watt setting). Plug it in when we get off work 5/6 pm. I do this for temp to about low 20's. If lower than that then I put a blanket around TM then plug in heater. If temp are going to be low 10's and below then heater on high and blanket and pressure hoses off the floor.

Reactions: Troyster

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
I run two, not for extra heat, but just incase one dies....it's happened before!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TMF Forums mobile app
I also leave 2 in the van.
Each on different circuits
One is turned down a bit lower than the second so it does NOT run unless the first dies or the temps get too cold for the first one to keep up with.

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
A little trick I use with my boat is to put a shop-drop-light with a 100 watt bulb under my engine to keep it from freezing.

Blacktiedetailing

www.crsurfacecare.com
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2011
Las Vegas
WWW.CRSurfaceCare.com
Real Name
Jeff Kondra
Business Location
United States
I use two plug in heaters. One from Costco, that heat dish thing and then a small blower type. Keeps the truck nice and toasty all night long. Heating up a 16ft box truck isnt easy. I am thinking of covering the machine with a queen size electric blanket this year instead of using the heaters.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
I use two plug in heaters. One from Costco, that heat dish thing and then a small blower type. Keeps the truck nice and toasty all night long. Heating up a 16ft box truck isnt easy. I am thinking of covering the machine with a queen size electric blanket this year instead of using the heaters.
The industry should develop it's own purpose made electric blanket just for covering truck mounts....