Pros and Cons of Box Trucks

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Joel A

Sep 12, 2018
Real Name
Joel Locke
I am purchasing a Prochem Everest and debating on whether to get a 1 ton extended van or a 12' Box Truck. If anyone has any advice on either or a good source for vehicles it would be greatly appreciated.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I am purchasing a Prochem Everest and debating on whether to get a 1 ton extended van or a 12' Box Truck. If anyone has any advice on either or a good source for vehicles it would be greatly appreciated.
I have an E250 extended and I wish I had gone with a box truck w a lift gate.
If you use a 175 or want to carry more equipment then loading and unloading the van depending on the days jobs gets old.
I would love a new transit based box or an Isuzu.
I bought my van as an off-lease and it's done well so far.
There are several used truck outlets locally (within 500 miles)

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
depends on your city, if your in a dense area with parking issues then dont get a box truck.

We have all 3 types... chevy express cargo van, nissan NV3500 high roof, and 14ft box truck with 6 roll up doors.

The box truck is by far the easiest to work out of since you can access everything without climbing in the truck, the Nissan is the sleekest and probably looks the best/easiest to wash

If your city has the space then there is nothing more comfortable then having plenty of room to work with, cramming machines and tools in a cargo van is pretty much a pain in the ass.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
depends on your city, if your in a dense area with parking issues then dont get a box truck.

We have all 3 types... chevy express cargo van, nissan NV3500 high roof, and 14ft box truck with 6 roll up doors.

The box truck is by far the easiest to work out of since you can access everything without climbing in the truck, the Nissan is the sleekest and probably looks the best/easiest to wash

If your city has the space then there is nothing more comfortable then having plenty of room to work with, cramming machines and tools in a cargo van is pretty much a pain in the ass.
Can you post a pic of the box truck with 6 doors? I'm really wanting to go that route next year or so

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
If your city allows it the more room the better. If I was a one man show I’d consider the Butler Box Truck set up.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Ya I agree, If I started from scratch and was o/o I would definitely get the butler box truck.

Oct 12, 2016
Real Name
Robert Cotton
This is what I’m putting my new to me titan 875 in. Build in progress going to be a triwand set up for me. 15 foot box. Can’t wait to get it out cleaning.

Attachments

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
What about the low deck box truck like the 15 ft uhaul trucks. They are small. Low to the ground so you can jump in and out.
Only problem with a box truck is in the northern parts of the country you need to get them inside to help with freezing. Standard garages wont fit box or tall Vans

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
I just switched from the trailer to a ford e250 van. Great for parking as fuel efficiency but sucks trying to get everything I need on board and organized. I never understood why you would want electric hose reels until moving to the van. No room to roll stuff up.

TWalters

Jun 22, 2018
Real Name
Tristen Walters
This is what I’m putting my new to me titan 875 in. Build in progress going to be a triwand set up for me. 15 foot box. Can’t wait to get it out cleaning.
Only thing I hate about those trucks are that every one of them that I see does not have air bags. I'm not a safety freak by any means, but having a cab over truck, without air bags is pretty much a guaranteed death if an accident happened. They are so nice for working though. Easy to maneuver, short enough to be easy to park, and so much room in the bed. I just wish I could find them with air bags.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Only thing I hate about those trucks are that every one of them that I see does not have air bags. I'm not a safety freak by any means, but having a cab over truck, without air bags is pretty much a guaranteed death if an accident happened. They are so nice for working though. Easy to maneuver, short enough to be easy to park, and so much room in the bed. I just wish I could find them with air bags.
Two words: pillow, ducktape...
when-yourethe-reason-for-the-company-safety-video-23791785.jpg

TWalters

Jun 22, 2018
Real Name
Tristen Walters
Lol like I said, I’m not a safety freak by any means. I do enough dumb shit! Haha it’s just something to consider, to some people it’s a deal breaker, to others it’s not a problem at all. I’ve seen some people say that they wish they hadn’t bought one after they realize it doesn’t have air bags.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
A source for either a box truck or a van - @Aztec Angie You can even get the box truck customized with shelving and storage if you wish.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Lol like I said, I’m not a safety freak by any means. I do enough dumb shit! Haha it’s just something to consider, to some people it’s a deal breaker, to others it’s not a problem at all. I’ve seen some people say that they wish they hadn’t bought one after they realize it doesn’t have air bags.
Air bags creep me out. Its a bomb in your steering wheel directly in front of you. I remember they were optional or you could turn it off if you wanted to.

Aug 30, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
Real Name
Angela Buckendorf
Business Location
United States
Awhile back we moved a bunch of box trucks and vans around for a photoshoot (we sell them through our Aztec Fleet Sales), including a few ProMaster 3500 Extended vans. After driving them back to back - the ProMaster was easier to drive and had a smoother ride, but the box truck had more overall storage space. You can stand up and walk around in both, add shelves and racks to both, and get a lot of equipment in both.

If you want, we can look over some numbers together and compare different vehicles against what you plan to put in them. My fleet manager is Joe Shearer and can be reached at 702-232-3702. Shoot him a text or give him a call, he really knows his stuff and can talk various makes and models, as well as upfits like shelving, spray liners, or just about anything else you might want. None of our people are commission, so you don't have to worry about a salesman trying to pressure you into a buy.

You can also find more at https://aztecfinancial.com/fleet-sales/

Jun 23, 2009
MISSOURI
Real Name
larry mcreynolds
Business Location
United States
The only problem with my box truck is I can’t park it in the garage during winter time. I have a Everest in a van and Everest in a box truck. Either way you go will be fine.