Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Thanks a lot Ara. I believe it is due to exhaust heat escaping inside the unit because the machine is operating at nomal temp. The 240 degree sensor is actually located at the top of the unit on the back of the cylinder head. With the covers on the heat is contained inside and the fan forces it out the back to the area of the sensor.
You are correct, the engine coolant high temp sensor is located on the cylinder head. The water high temp is located below where I was talking about. Thank you for correcting me. I never said I was perfect. Either way, both sensors are near a potential exhaust leak.

Dr Rugsnstone

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
James Reese
Ara, I actually was not trying to correct you. I assumed some units have different sensors in different locations so I was communicating to you where mine happens to be in case that made a difference on you helping with trouble shooting my issue. My temp sending unit is on top as well and at the front of the cylinder head.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Ara, I actually was not trying to correct you. I assumed some units have different sensors in different locations so I was communicating to you where mine happens to be in case that made a difference on you helping with trouble shooting my issue. My temp sending unit is on top as well and at the front of the cylinder head.
I hope you get this figured out. Even though its actually ok to run the unit without the covers on, its a good idea to have them on for various reasons. I put some more thought into your issue and another piece of advise I can give you would be to possibly invest in an infrared thermometer. An infrared thermometer will allow you to pinpoint any hot spots on the engine and other parts. I use one often when diagnosing truckmounts. They are especially helpful if you want to know how hot the waterbox is during an overheating state.
Good luck!

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Dr Rugsnstone

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
James Reese
Thanks Ara, I do have an IR thermometer that is how I realized the mechanic was wrong and it was not overheating. The temps were correct when I shot the upper and lower radiator hoses. Even though it runs fine with the covers off I would like to find the root of the problem not just put a band aid on an infected wound. I would also like to run with the covers on because when the air flow is directed through the compartment it pulls additional cool air in through the louvers on the side. As well as how hot it gets inside the van