Prochem Performer making van hot | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Prochem Performer making van hot

Dr Rugsnstone

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
James Reese
My Performer is running great and not overheating. If I run it with the covers on, it builds up so much heat that the 240 degree sensor gets destroyed and the components get very hot and machine bogs down. If I run without covers the machine runs great but the van and everything around the machine gets extremely hot. Anything I have in the cab gets affected by the heat. The only thing I can think that would cause this is an exhaust leak but I don't hear anything obvious to me. I have taken it to mechanics for years replacing parts and seals due to heat issues but never had any identify the root of the problem.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Sounds like not enough airflow through the van itself? Do you keep all the doors open while it is running?

Dr Rugsnstone

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
James Reese
I bought this unit new in 2001 and the problem with excessive heat has been a problem for the last few years. All doors and windows open. I put a fan between the seats blowing towards the rear doors and you could feel a ton of heat comong out the back. This is far above normal heat being generated. The machine is coolant is running at normal operating temp

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can help then.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
My Performer is running great and not overheating. If I run it with the covers on, it builds up so much heat that the 240 degree sensor gets destroyed and the components get very hot and machine bogs down. If I run without covers the machine runs great but the van and everything around the machine gets extremely hot. Anything I have in the cab gets affected by the heat. The only thing I can think that would cause this is an exhaust leak but I don't hear anything obvious to me. I have taken it to mechanics for years replacing parts and seals due to heat issues but never had any identify the root of the problem.
The first thing I would look at is the fan and the radiator. Make sure the fan blades are clean and file down any nicks and inspect the fan for a crack(s). Next, I would inspect and clean the cooling fins on the radiator. An air compressor hose attachment can be used with a brush to clear out the crud buildup inside the cooling fins on the radiator. Be careful not to damage the delicate cooling fins. The cooling fins are responsible for bringing cooler air into the heart of the frame.

Dr Rugsnstone

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
James Reese
Thank you for your reply. Fan is in good condition and radiator fins were brushed and blown out. Paper sucks up to the front of the radiator when running and airflow feel good

Dr Rugsnstone

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
James Reese
Have considered taking the fan off to reduce drag on the engine and adding an electric fan to inctrease CFM

Dr Rugsnstone

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
James Reese
I appreciate your response but you think it is normal to get so hot that it destroys the 240 degree temp sensor? The first sensor lasted me 17 yrs. I have replaced it 3 times in the last 18 mos. For the last 2 years it feels like an oven when I get in after the job and things too close to the machine are damaged due to heat. This has become the norm but was not always like this.

Dr Rugsnstone

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
James Reese
Have you tried running the machine after cleaning for a while with just a QC on the solution line really moving water through the TM. Does it affect anything?
I cool it down after every job by running water through the system

At every job, We run a extension cord from the house out to the van to run a fan on the machine to help keep it cooler in the hot summer days. Then we blow off all the hot water at the end of the job to help cool off also. Starts up better at the next job.
I have run a fan between seats to exhaust the abnormal heat out of the back of the van.
The benefits are
Temp sensor and other components are not destroyed
Things around the machine do not get hot
When I finish the job it is no longer like, climbing into an oven after doing cardio in a hot yoga studio.
The only problem is I still have not figured out what is causing this ABNORMAL amount of heat around the machine without running hot. The coolant temp is good and the machine is running fantastic.

Justin Legend Brands

Expert Truckmount Mechanic
May 7, 2018
Real Name
Justin Johnston
Feel free to give us a call. 800-932-3030 and ask for tech support

Last edited:

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
I appreciate your response but you think it is normal to get so hot that it destroys the 240 degree temp sensor? The first sensor lasted me 17 yrs. I have replaced it 3 times in the last 18 mos. For the last 2 years it feels like an oven when I get in after the job and things too close to the machine are damaged due to heat. This has become the norm but was not always like this.
I think I may know what is going on. The 240* temp sensor is located on the backside of the catalytic converter. Right above that is the connection between the exhaust manifold diverter and the catalytic converter. I'm willing to bet that there is a break in that connect or a bolt could be missing or have fallen out. If that connection has a break I could see it causing hot exhaust to escape and blow on the sensor and leak inside the van.

Reactions: smart n kleen

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I have an alternate idea of what is happening with a machine long in the tooth. Every carbon steel fitting not replaced in the last 10 years is choked with rust, regardless of descaling regularly and trapping heat and not allowing flow, not transmitting heat and giving it up everywhere it can. I'll bet this week's paycheck this unit has 5 or more fittings barely open to real flow. It's operating at high temp because of lack of flow and the ability to relieve itself. Anyone that's owned and operated equipment for a long time is shocked at their own lack of disassembly and root cause of other problems based on slack replacement of "consumable parts", said the guy that has blamed other crap for not replacing a handful of hoses.

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
It makes sense that it would most likely be the exhaust connection on the catalytic converter. It's literally right above the high temp sensor.

Dr Rugsnstone

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
James Reese
It makes sense that it would most likely be the exhaust connection on the catalytic converter. It's literally right above the high temp sensor.
Thanks a lot Ara. I believe it is due to exhaust heat escaping inside the unit because the machine is operating at nomal temp. The 240 degree sensor is actually located at the top of the unit on the back of the cylinder head. With the covers on the heat is contained inside and the fan forces it out the back to the area of the sensor.