Prochem Legend SE/fuel tap emergency help!!! (part 2)

mjb4ex

Apr 29, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Butler
1999 ford e150 6 cylinder and prochem legend se. This thing is going to be the death of me. I've been struggling with it for 3-4 months now. Had it for maybe 5-6months now. Can't keep it running. Before, (just like Rob said) it was a fuel issue. Changed the fuel pump from the tank of the van to the machine. Ran perfect for about a week. Then it starting dying again, I noticed the fuel pump clicking again. I had put a gravity fed fuel pump on there 1.5-4psi I believe. It was getting hot. I tried a push/pull pump rated higher with a regulator, couldn't get it to pump any fuel, kept clicking, I figured there was something wrong with the fuel tap.

I'm 3 hours away from anyone who has experience working on a truck mount, so I just put a 6 gallon marine tank in the van, and a gravity fed pump below the gas tank. Ran fine for a while, but it SEEMED (my mechanically disinclined observation) that right after I filled the tank, it would run for a little bit and die. Run for a little bit and die. Seemed like would it got to a certain point in the gas tank it would run fine.

So last Friday I took it to the tm mechanic 3hrs away, took out the marine tank had them fix the fuel tap. They said the hose had curled up and wasn't getting gas. They put a weight on it to hold it down, hooked up the push/pull pump and regulator that had never been used and it ran perfect.

Has ran perfect since. Until yesterday. Died right away after giving plenty of time to warm up. Fuel pump click click click. Drastically different than will the marine tank now. Won't start. With the marine tank it would run for a few minutes and bog down. Move the van all around in different positions in the slanting driveway (reverse, forward, etc), went and tried to add gas. Nope.

Talking to Mike Gaure, he had mentioned something about the gas cap and if it didn't vent properly, the pump can't pull gas. It dawned on me, a while back I had accidentally broke the gas cap on the van filling it up. What was weird was I had found a second gas cap hanging from the plastic thing by the fuel neck, look like it had been there for years. Only found it because I looked down there. Seemed in perfect condition, so I used it. Now I'm thinking when they installed the tm they put a different gas cap on there that ventilated better? Only explanation for having another gas cap.

Encapped the house, did a few estimates, went home. I loosed the gas cap, turned the ignition on the tm, click click, then you could here it catch fuel. I started it, let it warm up, pulled the throttle back. Died. Click Click Click. F**k! Let it sit about 15 minutes, turned the ignition, click click, heard it catch fuel. Started it up, ran fine. Fuel throttle, ran fine. Let it run for 10 minutes, ran fine.

*What are the chances the fuel pumps have been burning out because of the gas cap?

*Rob had mentioned before about applying 12v directly to the fuel solenoid. I should have done this to eliminate it. How do you do that? Aren't the symptoms of fuel solenoid issues hard starts? Seems like it couldn't be fuel solenoid issue since the fuel pump is struggling, and that's way before the fuel solenoid. I could be wrong...Either way I want to try everything.

*If it's not just the gas cap, how hard are these fuel taps to look into, take apart, etc?

*If not, what kind of local mechanic would have experience with a gas tap? We're a huge motorhome community, I was thinking an rv mechanic deals with hooking gas taps up for generators...

*Any other suggestions? Ideas? I've lost thousands of dollars over this stupid thing....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony from Chicago

Nov 1, 2016
Real Name
Anthony Almerigi
I'm no mechanic but it sounds like you may have a vacuum leak . It may not be pulling enough air though the carburetor when you let off the choke. Any small engine mechanic can take care of that for you but a few things you can check first is the air cleaner or listen for any sucking noise around the carb . It could be a loose vac line or gasket. Also check the oil level, if it has a low oil sensor it may shut down when it revs up.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

JETVAC

Nov 4, 2010
Real Name
Peter Stephens
Business Location
New Zealand
Is it the kohla engine . i had a problrm with mine like you said they replaced a small solaniond in the carbie it keept closing and shutting of fuel. its the only place wires go to the carbi so easy to find. u can lock it open if u cannot get a part straight away by disconecting wires. it a solinoud that controls fuel at shut down.

mjb4ex

Apr 29, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Butler
Thank you guys! Of course I'm going to try anything, my main question (again I have no mechanical experience) how would the fuel solenoid effect the fuel pump? Fuel solenoid is ahead of the fuel pump so if it cut off fuel, it shouldn't make the fuel pump starve, right?

Sent from my XT1650 using TMF Forums mobile app