Robbdny

Aug 20, 2012
North Carolina
Real Name
Rob Antonelli
Business Location
United States
Guys
I have a question can you guys explain to me is there an advantage to bypassing the pre-heater on a Legand with about 700 hours.

I think the pre-heaters are about $400? I am sure I am off by a little. I could see it as a temporary fix to a bad pre-heater but can someone tell me the short and long term effects for example I would think you would have a lower temps all the way around.

This same person had a Prochem Blazer and set it up so the warm/hot water dosent empty into the fresh water tank? If the temps did get high enough (above 140/160) couldn't the hot recirculated water damage the pressure pump.

Can some please explain it to me like I am a 5 year old please
Thank You Very Much
Robb

Reflections138

Nov 21, 2014
East Texas
Real Name
Jacob Simpson
Business Location
United States
You'll lose heat. You're fresh water box should have a valve that will release water in the waste tank once a certain temperature is reached.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Ask
Guys
I have a question can you guys explain to me is there an advantage to bypassing the pre-heater on a Legand with about 700 hours.

I think the pre-heaters are about $400? I am sure I am off by a little. I could see it as a temporary fix to a bad pre-heater but can someone tell me the short and long term effects for example I would think you would have a lower temps all the way around.

This same person had a Prochem Blazer and set it up so the warm/hot water dosent empty into the fresh water tank? If the temps did get high enough (above 140/160) couldn't the hot recirculated water damage the pressure pump.

Thank You Very Much
Robb
@wuzznme Bro Knows ALL!

Reactions: pmathot

Robbdny

Aug 20, 2012
North Carolina
Real Name
Rob Antonelli
Business Location
United States
Can you guys just say Blazer or Legand because Or is the water temp being lost with either machine?

Has any ran a Legand without a preheater and how much of a temp drop was noted?

I forgot to say it's a 18hp Legand what kind of heat should it sustain on a normal 70 degree day?

Does anyone know how much the preheater adds to temp on a 125' run norm outside temps?

With a wand?
With a rotary?

Sorry for all the questions

Robb
If someone that has the 18hp Legand and wouldn't mind a short phone call I would appresheate it VERY MUCH!!

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Can you guys just say Blazer or Legand because Or is the water temp being lost with either machine?

Has any ran a Legand without a preheater and how much of a temp drop was noted?

I forgot to say it's a 18hp Legand what kind of heat should it sustain on a normal 70 degree day?

Does anyone know how much the preheater adds to temp on a 125' run norm outside temps?

With a wand?
With a rotary?

Sorry for all the questions

Robb
If someone that has the 18hp Legand and wouldn't mind a short phone call I would appresheate it VERY MUCH!!
What is your intended goal? Is your preheater bad, and you're just wanting to buy some time? If that's the case then you'll be fine.

But you'll lose a good amount of steady heat. Especially this time of year. With that model Legend, the best modification you can do is to put that heat discharge hose (the hose that discharges hot water) from your waste tank to your water box.

Reactions: Wec

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
Guys

Thank You Very Much
Robb
Ok... there is no advantage what so ever in bypassing the pre-heat exchanger. You will lose a major part of the heating system. How much heat? Too many other variables to calculate that... i.e., ambieant air temp, incoming water temp, rpm, the speed at which your drawing down the water and about a dozen more. The short term effects are the same as the long term, lost heat.

There is no difference between the heating system on a Legend and a Blazer so your the effect would be the same on either machine.

There's about a million to 1 chance that either machine would ever get hot enough to damage the pump. If it did, the thermal relief valve on the water box should open, allowing fresh water in to re-regulate the temp.

What is your objective here?

Robbdny

Aug 20, 2012
North Carolina
Real Name
Rob Antonelli
Business Location
United States
Ok... there is no advantage what so ever in bypassing the pre-heat exchanger. You will lose a major part of the heating system. How much heat? Too many other variables to calculate that... i.e., ambieant air temp, incoming water temp, rpm, the speed at which your drawing down the water and about a dozen more. The short term effects are the same as the long term, lost heat.

There is no difference between the heating system on a Legend and a Blazer so your the effect would be the same on either machine.

There's about a million to 1 chance that either machine would ever get hot enough to damage the pump. If it did, the thermal relief valve on the water box should open, allowing fresh water in to re-regulate the temp.

What is your objective here?

They are not my machines what's my objective knowledge! Both
TM are for sale he said they work fine the way there set up.

THE BLAZER
Both TM are missing the pre-heater. Here's what he wrote on the Blazer:
The unit is somewhat customized and does not "dump water" into the recovery tank. The hot water stays in the system. The only thing it does not have is a preheater, it has been bypassed and is not a necessity. The preheater costs anywhere from 250 to 350 dollars and can easily be installed by removing 8 bolts, sliding it in and reconnecting 2 hoses. The main stainless steel heat exchanger works perfectly, the heat exchanger itself costs $1800 or more new

PLEASE GUYS SO I DONT JACK THE WORDING IN THIS THREAD THIS WHAT HE WROTE ME. ABOUT BOTH MACHINES

( Now that you have the wording as written I hope my questions make more sense.) I COPIED HIS PM TO ME ABOUT BOTH MACHINES.

THE LEGAND
Here is what he wrote about The Legend. "the preheater was by-passed and still performs good."

I should have wrote a much simpler question.

So now that I re-worded the question and everyone is clear on my poor grammar. I know from simple mechanics a heat loss will happen on both.

The Legand
Does the preheater add much heat I know this time of year heat is critical.

The Blazer
The local didn't say why he did what he did. Is there a potential a big part that may have gone bad. Is there a bind someone might be in that's common that may cause him to do this?

If anyone wants to take a guess. He is suppose to call me tomorrow what part or reason. Any ? Anyone thinks I should ask or what to look for if I was to see it would be Helpful!!

I always remembered for my IICRC CCT Class for every 16f rise is temp it doubles your cleaning power

I just don't want you guys think I am asking meaningless questions

Sorry For The Confusion
Rob

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
Are the pre-heaters as cheap as he says $350 or so are they also easy to put in, as he says.?
Most likely, both machines have been frozen. The forward heat exchangers are always the first to go. There may be other freeze damage as well. Easy fix... if the only thing damaged was the exchangers. Be very careful, It doesn't sound like he's being totally honest with you.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Freeze another one Robb?

mexiclean

Oct 26, 2014
Real Name
Little Bear
Most likely, both machines have been frozen. The forward heat exchangers are always the first to go. There may be other freeze damage as well. Easy fix... if the only thing damaged was the exchangers. Be very careful, It doesn't sound like he's being totally honest with you.
I take offense to that.
What do you mean I'm not being totally honest?

mexiclean

Oct 26, 2014
Real Name
Little Bear
You attribute dishonesty to me, having not spoken to me, knowing non of the facts?

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
I have a legend se and my preheater went out years ago. I bypassed it. I get 200 at the wand but I upgrade my engine to a 25 hp kohler so that helps.

Reactions: matt30577