PROCHEM/BRIDGEPOINT | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

PROCHEM/BRIDGEPOINT

rryn122

May 19, 2010
Real Name
todd ryan
Business Location
United States
Anyone out there who has used Bridgepoint/ PROCHEM chemicals that found an alternative to their chemicals?

Their chemicals our way to high, and I have to think there is an alternative to chemicals out there? I just don't know where to go?

Cleaning agent … PowerPoint
Pre spray… Flex/ citruSolv

rryn122

May 19, 2010
Real Name
todd ryan
Business Location
United States
Please. Anyone direct me to a place that can help me replace these outrageous prices at the same time get good results.

Louisville KY is where we are located, and Bridgepoint is the only game in town.

Ty in advance

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
What are you finding outrageous, just out of curiosity?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
You pay for what you get brother, if you wanna be a bathtub chemist to save a few dollars be prepared to reap the rewards of doing so when you screw up someones property. Prochem and Bridgepoint chems are no where near outrageous as long as your not using the glug glug method of measuring.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States
Anyone out there who has used Bridgepoint/ PROCHEM chemicals that found an alternative to their chemicals?

Their chemicals our way to high, and I have to think there is an alternative to chemicals out there? I just don't know where to go?

You should look at the dilutions and quality, price shouldn’t be a factor unless buying in bulk. I recommend looking over TMF chemical line: https://shop.truckmountforums.com

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Look into your water quality. Call your local municipality and ask for the latest water report. Then determine if you have hard water that's eating up your chems before they hit the floor. I know a bit about bourbon country and know that your local water is likely high in limestone... A water softener may make the difference between 2 scoops and 8 scoops for the same results. Chem usage goes way down if you are only feeding the dirt and not the taxi too...

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Look into your water quality. Call your local municipality and ask for the latest water report. Then determine if you have hard water that's eating up your chems before they hit the floor. I know a bit about bourbon country and know that your local water is likely high in limestone... A water softener may make the difference between 2 scoops and 8 scoops for the same results. Chem usage goes way down if you are only feeding the dirt and not the taxi too...
First thing I did restarting this cleaning thing was get a water softener. Even if the water locally is good I like knowing I did everything possible to make my water soft and effective.

Reactions: Scott W

rryn122

May 19, 2010
Real Name
todd ryan
Business Location
United States
What are you finding outrageous, just out of curiosity?
Just trying to get away from the entire outfit (bp). Several things have made me want to start looking for a alternative . Ordered head gaskets and heads 2 weeks ago and , still not in. Have has several issues with machanic work (kids working in your equipment). Try to buy a new machine for a PROCHEM PEAK 26 hp. No longer made. 1700 hundred hours. Called PROCHEM... They told me " we don't have a solution for you. You need to replace your 20 thousand dollar machine with a Everest. We can't find you a replacement engine. Not very encouraging

They are the only game in town, and hate being stuck with no alternative. It's almost like they have a annual price increase on every thing they sale

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I would call the manufacturer of the engine isnt it a liquid cooled Kohler? Even if the motor is discontinued i would think they would have a retrofit for it

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

The cost to buy a chemical is quite different from the cost to use it, and here's what that means:

Flex with Citrus costs an average of $40-$42 per 6.5# jug (and is less expensive when bought in bulk, like the 40# tub). Recommended use is 2-4 ounces per gallon. This breaks down to anything from 26 to 52 premade RTU gallons, at an average cost of $1.11 (max cost 1.61, min .61 depending on size of container purchased).

Power Point costs an average of $29 per gallon; recommended use is one quart to five gallons of water. Hence, 20 gallons of detergent at a cost of $1.45 per gallon.

Thus your total chemical cost per cleaning job is between $2.06 and $3.06 per gallon.

Two to three dollars.

How is that "too expensive"?

A few other examples:

Matrix Grand Slam: $1.09 per gallon use
Saiger's Sauce: .70 to $1.38 pgu
TMF RSF Spiked (assuming 2-4 ounce per use, since I do not have instructions): .88 to $1.77 pgu

In other words, virtually ALL professional carpet chemicals fall into a pretty similar cost-per-use field, regardless of brand or origin. As cost to buy goes up, dilution typically goes down (the chemical is more concentrated or more effective) so things even out on the working end of the wand.

But let's go really cheap, shall we? Let's go to Wal Mart and get some Purple Power for $4.87 a gallon. Use about 16-32 ounces per gallon (and this is conservative, since it's up to 96% water) and you're looking at a per-use cost of about $1.21. You haven't saved anything.

So the next question (and perhaps this question is actually MORE important) is, how long does it take you to achieve a satisfactory result with your chemicals?

Are you having to re-do areas, dwell in tough areas longer, or go back and re-visit a customer after a complaint if you go with a "cheaper to buy" chemical?

Are you using more water, more gas, more time to get the job done? If so, how much is that water and gas and time worth? More, perhaps, than you saved by going cheaper on the chem side.

Are your customers complaining about resoiling, sticky residue, long drying times? How valuable is a customer complaint to your business?

I understand the aggravation of spending money. I shop Wal Mart all the time. But sometimes it's easy to get hung up on immediate expense... and lose sight of overall value and profitability.

I cannot speak to any customer service issues between you and your local distributor. I can say most distributors that I know are small, and as such they take CS very seriously. No one in this industry, whether manufacturer, distributor, chemist, cleaner, or inspector, got into it to "get rich quick".

BP and Prochem/Legend don't make (insert dramatic movie voice here) HUGE ENORMOUS EVIL BLOODSUCKING PROFITS ON THE BACKS OF THE POOR FOOLS WHO BUY THEIR PRODUCT. They spend millions of dollars every year in salaries, R&D, improvements, marketing, and sponsoring events to help build the cleaning community. They are working joes just like the rest of us.

And yes, those costs get factored into how much you pay for your chemical.

How much should your customer pay you per hour to clean?

Do you factor in your costs of doing business when you quote them?

Do they get angry at you and say "you make too much profit, I know it doesn't cost you that much to clean my carpet!".

If they did, how would it make you feel?

I promise, I'm not trying to discredit your complaint. But I am asking that you take a step back and re-evaluate what, exactly, you're unhappy about.

If it's a service issue, that's certainly a fair grievance and you've every right to be mad.

But taking it to the level of "Bridgepoint/Prochem sucks because they make too much money on their stuff, I want to pay less" is essentially taking the NUMBER ONE complaint you guys have about your customers and assigning it to the companies who work to support YOU.

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
I use flex with citrus and spike it with citrablast.

1 ounce per scoop. But I now basically use min scoops per gallon. I'm using less flex, and the citrablast works as two-three things. Great degreaser booster, truly amazing smell, and lowers the PH slightly of flex. Great results, and not too costly.

Perhaps give it a try?

bcs

Mar 6, 2010
nz
Real Name
marcus barker
Business Location
New Zealand
I use flex with citrus and spike it with citrablast.

1 ounce per scoop. But I now basically use min scoops per gallon. I'm using less flex, and the citrablast works as two-three things. Great degreaser booster, truly amazing smell, and lowers the PH slightly of flex. Great results, and not too costly.

Perhaps give it a try?
Just wondering how the citrablast lowers the ph slightly?Isnt it a citrus solvent?

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Its not pure, my mix went from the 12PH that Flex normally is to around 11. Though that was awhile ago, later this week i can strip test another mix when i do my next job(power washing for next couple days) and recheck it to confirm for you.

Justin Legend Brands

Expert Truckmount Mechanic
May 7, 2018
Real Name
Justin Johnston
Just trying to get away from the entire outfit (bp). Several things have made me want to start looking for a alternative . Ordered head gaskets and heads 2 weeks ago and , still not in. Have has several issues with machanic work (kids working in your equipment). Try to buy a new machine for a PROCHEM PEAK 26 hp. No longer made. 1700 hundred hours. Called PROCHEM... They told me " we don't have a solution for you. You need to replace your 20 thousand dollar machine with a Everest. We can't find you a replacement engine. Not very encouraging

They are the only game in town, and hate being stuck with no alternative. It's almost like they have a annual price increase on every thing they sale

What is wrong with your peak? The Kohler 26 hp is discontinued but we do have long blocks in stock.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
I worked on a newer apex awhile back and they aren't using the coolant to heat the solution on it. I think that the engine is a Angus engine. But if they're not using the coolant to heat then look at using a 30hp air cooled engine and rid of the old one. something to look into.