Prochem Blazer

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 17, 2012
Real Name
Scott Kaun
Can any of you fine folks out there help me, I'm getting my back up unit set up, and on this Prochem Blazer 16hp. There is an electric small square box connected to a circular thing, on the top it says Pro Fuel, has numbers 1-6, this then goes to fuel pump on the Briggs,v when I turn key on the brass box clicks rapidly.... My question; What is this Pro Fuel dial for, what number do i put it on, for cleaning.....?
Thank You for any info... Scott

Jun 17, 2012
Real Name
Scott Kaun
Here are pics of the Pro Fuel thing and brass electrical device, that clicks rapidly when I turn key on....

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
North Carolina
www.shopcleansource.com
Real Name
Amy Barnes
Business Location
United States
I'm not seeing that dial in the original schematics, it's a fuel system of some sort but I don't know enough about that (albeit upside-down) rig to say what exactly it is. Do you have a secondary fuel source for heat?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I had one of those on my first TM. It was VERY problematic. I remember replacing it at least a couple times in only 3 short years. It is a fuel regulator. What I suspect is your fuel pump puts out too much psi going to the engine so this regulates it down so the engine can run w/o flooding. My best suggestion is to buy the proper fuel pump for your machine and eliminate the regulator all together. A B & S engine can only have like 2 to 4 psi to run. Not sure of the specs on Kohler. I would call either Jondon or Interlink and get another fuel pump if it was mine. I think I normally ran my first TM with an 18 hp B & S engine on 2 or 3 on the dial. This is the fuel pump I'm using right now for my 21 hp B & S on my Boxxer 421. Note it's only 2 to 3 psi. No problems with it. http://www.jondon.com/fuel-pump.html

I think that thing may have contributed to some of the engine problems I had with my first TM. I'm not a mechanic, but this is my opinion. Those regulators are sold under different brands btw, the one I had was a NAPA and looked identical to the one you have. If you're having flooding problems that kill the engine turn it down to 2 and see if the engine runs at full rpm. If not, go up to 3. If it still doesn't run I'd get a new one. They're pretty cheap and you should be able to get a local auto parts store. Here is one I found right quick. It shows the numbers are actually psi settings.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/mr-gask...MU4LSSJBWkBPspFW719-p3rUAb2ZvlXxoCUG8QAvD_BwE

Last edited:

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
That dial looks like it is either maxed out or turned completely off btw. I'm thinking it's turned all the way up to about 6 ps. I'd be surprised if the machine runs for long w/o flooding at that setting. I' definitely turn it down to about 3.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Toss it all and put in a low psi fuel pump, and buy 2 while you're at it so you have a spare.
Having a spare is not a bad idea. I just replaced my original fuel pump on my Boxxer last year. It lasted well over 14 years. The pump I have now is different, but seems to work fine. I had already bought it long before my original went out so I was ready when it did.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I'd also replace that fuel filter too. You can get it from Jondon or local auto parts store for a few bucks.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I have one that quit after less than a year in the middle of a job. Fortunately I planned on it so I had made the wiring a plug and 2 hose clamps. Swapped it out in 5 minutes

Jun 17, 2012
Real Name
Scott Kaun
I had one of those on my first TM. It was VERY problematic. I remember replacing it at least a couple times in only 3 short years. It is a fuel regulator. What I suspect is your fuel pump puts out too much psi going to the engine so this regulates it down so the engine can run w/o flooding. My best suggestion is to buy the proper fuel pump for your machine and eliminate the regulator all together. A B & S engine can only have like 2 to 4 psi to run. Not sure of the specs on Kohler. I would call either Jondon or Interlink and get another fuel pump if it was mine. I think I normally ran my first TM with an 18 hp B & S engine on 2 or 3 on the dial. This is the fuel pump I'm using right now for my 21 hp B & S on my Boxxer 421. Note it's only 2 to 3 psi. No problems with it. http://www.jondon.com/fuel-pump.html

I think that thing may have contributed to some of the engine problems I had with my first TM. I'm not a mechanic, but this is my opinion. Those regulators are sold under different brands btw, the one I had was a NAPA and looked identical to the one you have. If you're having flooding problems that kill the engine turn it down to 2 and see if the engine runs at full rpm. If not, go up to 3. If it still doesn't run I'd get a new one. They're pretty cheap and you should be able to get a local auto parts store. Here is one I found right quick. It shows the numbers are actually psi settings.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/mr-gask...MU4LSSJBWkBPspFW719-p3rUAb2ZvlXxoCUG8QAvD_BwE
Thank YOU!?

Jun 17, 2012
Real Name
Scott Kaun
Yes my nephew whom used to work for me, now works at Auto parts store, finally text me, that is was a pressure regulator, but never seen one on this small of an engine....
Thanks for all the info!!!

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Yes my nephew whom used to work for me, now works at Auto parts store, finally text me, that is was a pressure regulator, but never seen one on this small of an engine....
Thanks for all the info!!!
I had a lot of trouble with mine. If your engine isn't running smoothly at like a 3 psi setting a new one should solve the problem. Seems like I had to replace mine like annually. A new fuel pump is the best solution over all.