Prochem blazer 1000 psi rebuild help | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Prochem blazer 1000 psi rebuild help

Conalnugent

Feb 11, 2020
Real Name
Conal nugent
Recently got mentioned tm. It's got just under 5000 hours. I've never owned a tm before and am struggling to find someone to work on it for me.

The story of the machine was I got it with being told it wasn't pumping water and wasn't heating water. When I got it home I had a play with it. I opened a valve on the pressure regulator and it bled out air which seemed to cure the pumping issues. I couldn't test it no further as I don't have it wired to my van to charge the battery. Before it cut out due to this is was starting to heat so I don't suspect and issues there.

Question.... Having unknown history, what should I be changing and servicing to future proof it? I've a manual with all part numbers etc so that will be a big help. If this was your machine and you wanted it to be sound running for the foreseeable future what all would you do to it?? Also where can I get parts for it? I emailed prochem UK and there were no help to me. All they said was it was a 15-20 year old machine and could not provide parts. Bummer.

Any help much appreciated

Attachments

Conalnugent

Feb 11, 2020
Real Name
Conal nugent
Ps... When I say rebuild.... I don't mean a nut and bolt resto. I just want it Mechanically sound. Thanks.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
The first thing I would have checked out is the engine charging system. You should not need to connect that engine to your van engine for power. The truckmount engine has a stater on it that should charge the battery while running.

ToddBenne

Sep 7, 2008
O' fallon, MO.
Real Name
Todd Benne
The Prochem Blazer does not have an alternator like a car. It is not belt driven like a car's alternator is. The unit has a regulator rectifier. To find it, pull the main cover off, the large white cover that surrounds the unit. Look on the front right side of the Briggs and Stratton engine near the front, attached to the engine block will be the part you are looking for. It should look like it is filled with green jell. If the green center is black, the regulator rectifier is bad. Replace that and see if the battery charges. The part you are looking for looks like;
1581460563600.png

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
Not trying to be a fart face but your wasting your time and money. Get a new tm on credit and throw it away. You can get a new tm on credit for under 200$ a month. Do the math real quick on replacing all the parts on that thing u just bought and it will start to make since real quick.

Reactions: Conalnugent

Conalnugent

Feb 11, 2020
Real Name
Conal nugent
I got this puppy in exchange for some work. So no money changed hands. It was running until recently. I don't like financing as you can sign on the dotted line too easy then you are ruled by paying monthly bills. I like fixing things up. What I'll probably do with this unit is get it running and running reliably, use if for a couple of years then go for a younger model.

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
I got this puppy in exchange for some work. So no money changed hands. It was running until recently. I don't like financing as you can sign on the dotted line too easy then you are ruled by paying monthly bills. I like fixing things up. What I'll probably do with this unit is get it running and running reliably, use if for a couple of years then go for a younger model.
There are 10,000 carpet cleaners who have said the same thing, and after replacing 85% of the machine are into it over 10k and down 500 hours, whats your time worth? Just being realistic and being the friend you might thank later.

By all means pay cash for a new machine then.

Justin Legend Brands

Expert Truckmount Mechanic
May 7, 2018
Real Name
Justin Johnston
Both Todd's are correct. The Briggs motor doesn't have an alternator like your car. It has a stator. The stator is under the flywheel and it works like an alternator. It creates AC voltage. Then the regulator rectifier changes the voltage from AC voltage to DC voltage to charge the battery. The regulator rectifier is the one that typically goes bad, but the stator can also go bad.
Hope this helps.

Conalnugent

Feb 11, 2020
Real Name
Conal nugent
I have to move it from storage to my house to enable me to work on it at my leisure on Friday. Once I get it moved will check it out. Thanks guys

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas

Conalnugent

Feb 11, 2020
Real Name
Conal nugent
Got the tm moved. Have been busy all week with work so nothing done. Where can I find the engine make and model stamp? I've read its stamped on the block somewhere?? Thanks.

Conalnugent

Feb 11, 2020
Real Name
Conal nugent
The Prochem Blazer does not have an alternator like a car. It is not belt driven like a car's alternator is. The unit has a regulator rectifier. To find it, pull the main cover off, the large white cover that surrounds the unit. Look on the front right side of the Briggs and Stratton engine near the front, attached to the engine block will be the part you are looking for. It should look like it is filled with green jell. If the green center is black, the regulator rectifier is bad. Replace that and see if the battery charges. The part you are looking for looks like; View attachment 89572
Looks good to me. What would be the next port of call to check?

Attachments

Conalnugent

Feb 11, 2020
Real Name
Conal nugent
Both Todd's are correct. The Briggs motor doesn't have an alternator like your car. It has a stator. The stator is under the flywheel and it works like an alternator. It creates AC voltage. Then the regulator rectifier changes the voltage from AC voltage to DC voltage to charge the battery. The regulator rectifier is the one that typically goes bad, but the stator can also go bad.
Hope this helps.
How would I go about checking it is OK?

Conalnugent

Feb 11, 2020
Real Name
Conal nugent
What is the battery voltage with the machine running full throttle and everything on?
Don't know. Only had it running for about 20 minutes before it cut out so never tested that.

What Ive been advised to do next is make sure its getting spark and fuel. Take plugs out and check for spark and disconnect fuel pump turn it over and see if its pumping. Apparently if both ain't working, the float valve is at fault. Fingers crossed. If its one of these 3 I'm happy.

Justin Legend Brands

Expert Truckmount Mechanic
May 7, 2018
Real Name
Justin Johnston
Don't know. Only had it running for about 20 minutes before it cut out so never tested that.

What Ive been advised to do next is make sure its getting spark and fuel. Take plugs out and check for spark and disconnect fuel pump turn it over and see if its pumping. Apparently if both ain't working, the float valve is at fault. Fingers crossed. If its one of these 3 I'm happy.
An engine needs 3 things to run. Air, fuel, and spark...

Conalnugent

Feb 11, 2020
Real Name
Conal nugent
Right, so decided to service the tm before any further investigation if trying to run it. So am doing the following.

Engine oil, spark plugs, rocker cover gaskets, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, blower oil and pump oil.

Quick question, how much oil does the blower and water pump take?

Attachments

Conalnugent

Feb 11, 2020
Real Name
Conal nugent
OK. So got the blower sorted out. Found a manual online and help of a blower expert over in the states. Next job is the water pump. The fill level window is at the back of the pump. Just about can see it with a little mirror.

But question..... How much oil does the pump take and where does it drain from? Obviously the big red knob on top is to fill it.

Ps Ps. I have also sussed out why it was turning and not firing. 2 wiring plugs were unplugged. One from engine to the rectifier thing and the other from the end of the heat exchanger. Haven't tried to turn it over yet. But will do once goooood clean down and service is finished.

Suspected leaks. Possibly one from the engine. Maybe from the crank shaft. And maybe a leak in one of the heat exchangers. But will get to these. I've been cleaning everything as I go to make it way easier to spot leaks or problems when I get it running.

Attachments