Prochem 650 HP heat exchanger question | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Prochem 650 HP heat exchanger question

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
manhattanbeachcarpetcleaners.net
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States
Hi guys I have a Prochem 650 HP Truckmount machine with 7500 hours on it. There a 3 separate units inside the main heating unit. 2 are high pressure stainless steel heat exchangers and 1 low pressure copper exchanger. The maintenance manual says to get in there and clean off debris every 1,000 hours....

I have never cleaned them and now they have cracked/rusted apart and have water coming out of the exhaust. So I have ordered 3 new heat exchangers and waiting for them to come in.

So my question is, I have heard of guys removing those flimsy metal fins (much like the screen of a radiator) off the exchangers to
A: reduce the amount of debris that get build up on them.
B: improve airflow and reduce back pressure on the blower.

I know those little fins are designed to help capture heat and is designed like that for the machine, but there is no shortage of heat on that machine. Just wanted to see what your thoughts were about this?
Thank You!

Attachments

• E57A4515-1625-4EE2-92D7-8F3E5A77AEAD.png
    E57A4515-1625-4EE2-92D7-8F3E5A77AEAD.png
    175 KB · Views: 279
  • 1065CB7C-8CDA-4393-8990-D24B6C89F07D.png
    1065CB7C-8CDA-4393-8990-D24B6C89F07D.png
    229.9 KB · Views: 282

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I have no idea but I would assume your van would be a lot hotter inside if the heat is displaced in your van and not the heat exchanger. Those little fins are a big deal to HVAC guys when they plead how important it is to keep those things clean on your outside units. Plus they offer other protection that we are unaware of.

Reactions: Lars

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
You did great 7k plus hours for the 3 HX's
You dont run a water softener ?
I do have a drop in water filter on my hose hook end .
I had cleaned mine on the bruin performer only twice or when one was replaced I would clean the second one .

The Magician

Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
Jimmy Nardella
Lars do not alter your hx's. You got 7500 hrs with no maintenance. Every 1000-1500 hrs. is like once a year or 1 1/2 year of cleaning. Do it with a shop vac. when its slow season. You may void your 1 million hr. warranty. lol. Don't forget to clean your dishwasher and refrigerator fins.

Reactions: Joe cool and Lars

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Hi guys I have a Prochem 650 HP Truckmount machine with 7500 hours on it. There a 3 separate units inside the main heating unit. 2 are high pressure stainless steel heat exchangers and 1 low pressure copper exchanger. The maintenance manual says to get in there and clean off debris every 1,000 hours....

I have never cleaned them and now they have cracked/rusted apart and have water coming out of the exhaust. So I have ordered 3 new heat exchangers and waiting for them to come in.

So my question is, I have heard of guys removing those flimsy metal fins (much like the screen of a radiator) off the exchangers to
A: reduce the amount of debris that get build up on them.
B: improve airflow and reduce back pressure on the blower.

I know those little fins are designed to help capture heat and is designed like that for the machine, but there is no shortage of heat on that machine. Just wanted to see what your thoughts were about this?
Thank You!
7500 hours...that great!!!
have you had to replace engine..blower......???
what year is it???????

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States
You did great 7k plus hours for the 3 HX's
You dont run a water softener ?
I do have a drop in water filter on my hose hook end .
I had cleaned mine on the bruin performer only twice or when one was replaced I would clean the second one .

I do run a soft water system on it also. Yes 1st time having to replace them. Original heat exchanger Thank You

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States
7500 hours...that great!!!
have you had to replace engine..blower......???
what year is it???????

Thanks! Original engine, change oil every 200 hours. On my 3rd blower unfortunately... that trilobe blower has some issues I think... they changed over to something else on the newer models. Little disappointed in the blower issues, but still a great machine all and all

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
thats good to keep the orignal HX.....
if you still have origninal engine, blower, pump....
that is an awesome machine!!!!

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Interesting...our 650HP has 6,500 hours on it, haven't changed the blower yet. It's a 2012 model.

HX still original no cracks yet. We do soft water as well, but not on the truck, treated in the shop.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Is this the Wd 40 or blower oil ?
250hrs. It's not always, I'm thinking Wd 40 but concerned .
20180911_113206.jpg

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
I do spray less and see it less
Just asking other Everest owners

itsashadowmam

Jul 17, 2019
New Jersey
Real Name
thomas feliciano
Business Location
United States
Sounds like it could be a hole in your heat exchangers. They are right behind the blower exhaust. How many hours do you have on it?
Its leaking over night. Then as I take my first left turn it all comes out of the exhaust. I have about 3'000 hrs on this machine.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Thanks! Original engine, change oil every 200 hours. On my 3rd blower unfortunately... that trilobe blower has some issues I think... they changed over to something else on the newer models. Little disappointed in the blower issues, but still a great machine all and all
Just a note about the blower. I replaced the blower on a 650 awhile back third one for him also. Here's what I found, that blower requires a special oil. Aeon PD XD or equivalent which the local distributor does not stock. They were using AEON PD. The difference in comparison is 0W40 vs 0W90 oil so make sure that you are using AEON PD XD (extreme duty)and your blower will last longer. been 6yrs since I replaced that blower.