Pro Advise Needed

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Feb 3, 2017
Real Name
Mike DelaRosa
Been a while since I posted, business is going well, working on 2nd year now. So here is my problem, since the housing market is doing well I get a lot of people wanting to get carpets cleaned prior to selling. However when doing my walk through, I often detect very bad pet odor. Ill grab the black light show the customer what I have found, then educate them on the proper method of removing urine stains using (matrix miracle), time and water claw. I explain the added expense of the job. I then get the "no we just want the carpet cleaned" We are selling and don't wanna pay for that" How are you guys handling this? My worry is my reputation! Somewhere down the road the new home owner or renter may discover my company cleaned the carpets, and I am responsible for the poor work performed. I charge a lot for pet problems, but guarantee my work, and feel good knowing I done my best for each customer.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Glad to hear you are doing well !! You can walk as mentioned or simply say nothing and adjust your price to fit the situation .
Last “ pee “ thread I think Todd the Cleaner spoke about how he is handling soaked carpeting . May want to do a search as it may give you some hints .
All the Best , Ed

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
If there is any pet odor or stain visible it will significantly reduce the selling price of the home. You can ask a real estate professional. The price may go down by thousands if the carpet has dog urine stains and odor.

You need to explain that your services are not costing them money but helping the home sell faster and for more dollars.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Its not a problem with how your explaining it to them or your process, the problem is the type of customers your getting.

My advice would be to either raise your prices to get rid of the cheap customers who wont pay extra when obviously there is extra work that needs to be done...

or while your still making a name for yourself only being the 2nd year in business just handle it for them since your cost to do so is relatively low...... but ask that they leave you a review if they are happy with the work.

When you build up a lot of reviews it shows new people that your a good company, then later down the road when you run into these situations people wont question you on price.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Seller move out cleaning is all about price.
I would give them one (higher) price, and say don't worry, we will get out all the pet stain smells too so it's all fresh smelling ready for listing.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I run into this nearly every day, Like @PistolPete said, I add everything in and if they balk or ask about the price then I explain why the exploded price is what it is...

Aug 28, 2018
Real Name
Bruce wayne
I like to use a uv light with the customer and explain quickly that standard cleaning doesn’t fix the urine problem due to it being in the backing and padding before going over anything price wise I like to ask
“ Is removing the urine stains and odor important to you?”

I usually get a response about that’s why we called you...

Then I explain my process and guarantee...

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I feel your pain, I’m having the same issues. Buyers are wanting carpets done correctly, sellers are wanting them cheap. I’m not suggesting you do like me but I explain I’m a carpet cleaner who takes pride in cleaning carpets using the correct method depending on the carpets condition. I sell my skills to anyone and everyone that listens. If they don’t go for it I move on. I’m not going to lower my standards to make a quick profit but continue to work on my reputation as a high end cleaner. Clients are like water one leaves another flows in their place. I don’t want my reputation affiliated with the bozos in my town who clean rooms for $15 and they always turn out terrible. Long term goals are far more important then short term profits.

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
Do it right, or don't do it at all, but let me caution you this. When you start explaining your process step by step, I guarantee the potential clients' eyes glaze over and they zone out. They don't care and have other things on their mind.

Make it simple,. Ma'am/sir. There's urine present, if I don't neutralize the urine the carpet will stink after I clean it. There's a process that I have to go through to do that that involves changing the pH of the alkaline salt that is left behind when the urine dries and I have to treat both sides of the carpet.

Break it down to simple terms for the client, you will close more sells

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Do it right, or don't do it at all, but let me caution you this. When you start explaining your process step by step, I guarantee the potential clients' eyes glaze over and they zone out. They don't care and have other things on their mind.

Make it simple,. Ma'am/sir. There's urine present, if I don't neutralize the urine the carpet will stink after I clean it. There's a process that I have to go through to do that that involves changing the pH of the alkaline salt that is left behind when the urine dries and I have to treat both sides of the carpet.

Break it down to simple terms for the client, you will close more sells
I agree. Occasionally you will get a customer who is really interested in the details, however as you said, most only care about the result not the method.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
It is dirt. Just a different kind of dirt/soil and not necessarily right on top , where most normal soiling.is. . It take different methods, and products to address it effectively.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Been a while since I posted, business is going well, working on 2nd year now. So here is my problem, since the housing market is doing well I get a lot of people wanting to get carpets cleaned prior to selling. However when doing my walk through, I often detect very bad pet odor. Ill grab the black light show the customer what I have found, then educate them on the proper method of removing urine stains using (matrix miracle), time and water claw. I explain the added expense of the job. I then get the "no we just want the carpet cleaned" We are selling and don't wanna pay for that" How are you guys handling this? My worry is my reputation! Somewhere down the road the new home owner or renter may discover my company cleaned the carpets, and I am responsible for the poor work performed. I charge a lot for pet problems, but guarantee my work, and feel good knowing I done my best for each customer.
This applies also to rental market. Not all but most PMs as well as individual landlord owners want the cheapest possible price service, and they are the ones buying. But the end user is the tennant moving in who may complain about the place.